• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

It worked

I've been reading about discing down in these forums and decided the fast discs were probably hindering my development. I'm not a very good player (never shot under par, been playing about 18 months), and I haven't felt like my driving has improved much in the last 6-8 months.

I got in my second tournament ever yesterday and decided to primarily use my Tee Bird. I teed off with it on 16 of the 18 holes and was very surprised that a) it went right where I wanted it to go (shocker!), and b) I wasn't sacrificing any distance from my Boss. My previous best on this course was +5, and I shot a +2.

I can't wait to get out and improve my game this spring with nothing faster than speed 7 (except for maybe for overhand shots). If it hadn't been for these forums, I don't think it ever would have occurred to me that a "slow" disc would be far better for me. And even though that round would probably be a crappy round for most people on these forums, it's really satisfying to improve like that by doing something so simple.

I played a whole round today with just my Roc. Shot just as well as I usually do. I did have to stop at every other pro tee and rip a few drives though. It just feels so good.

Funniest part of my discn down adventures is that I have a lat pro bag so I gets alot of curiousity going. With the divider in it only carries around twelve in the main compartment. So it's funny to hear people say;"where's all your drivers?" and " where's all your disc at?"
they're expecting me to have a bag filled to the brim with fast drivers but instead the fastest and only max distance driver I carry is an avenger:)

I routinely play with a 12 disc bag, it's lighter and more fun. Unless it's a tournament then the 23 disc bag (backups) or for solo practice where I want to play a dozen discs on the hole and putt another seven.

Garubaldor got me to try a cyclone since I hate the Teebird... a few short weeks later I have developed a liking (lets not get crazy) for the Teebird, best of a bad lot. LOL, and it's killing me to leave the Force at home... it is however truly satisfying and somewhat malicious for me to throw my Buzzz up #8 for an ace run while all the peasants struggle to get their drivers reasonably far up the hill.... yes the primary reason I do it is to tick them off. That woulda been a Force job last spring.

Champion Valkyrie is SICK for overhead shots.

\/\/

Really? Its funny cause I have a few fast discs, speed 9 and above, which are competing for my one distance driver (at least until I can hit 400'),overhand and forehand throws. A champ Valk is one of them, but right now, its my favorite so far for a "distance" driver. If thats the case, I wont overhand it.

I gather from the length some of you all have been members and the fact that you seem to throw consistently longer than 300', that this is even a good practice to get back to technique for those who have been at the game for longer. On my end, I am new, and like a lot of new people (at least from what I have heard) I got stuck in that... run-out-and-buy-all-sorts-of-discs-and-just-keep-getting-new-drivers-if-your-shot-isn't-long-enough rut, and I was totally stalling out.

So I went to a school and paced off the yardage, and realized that no matter what I was throwing all of the discs were flying between 160 and 180'. Obviously I have some technique issues. So yesterday I worked all day with just a DX CRO. I really slowed things back down, and worked on snap and arm speed.... no run up or x-step or anything... just stand and snap.... and I got the best round ever on my home course. I saved four strokes off my best game. No driver, no putter, no bag. Just the CRO....

So point of the story... beginner or not.... I think discing down and getting back to pure form every now and again is probably a good plan.

I gather from the length some of you all have been members and the fact that you seem to throw consistently longer than 300', that this is even a good practice to get back to technique for those who have been at the game for longer. On my end, I am new, and like a lot of new people (at least from what I have heard) I got stuck in that... run-out-and-buy-all-sorts-of-discs-and-just-keep-getting-new-drivers-if-your-shot-isn't-long-enough rut, and I was totally stalling out.

So I went to a school and paced off the yardage, and realized that no matter what I was throwing all of the discs were flying between 160 and 180'. Obviously I have some technique issues. So yesterday I worked all day with just a DX CRO. I really slowed things back down, and worked on snap and arm speed.... no run up or x-step or anything... just stand and snap.... and I got the best round ever on my home course. I saved four strokes off my best game. No driver, no putter, no bag. Just the CRO....

So point of the story... beginner or not.... I think discing down and getting back to pure form every now and again is probably a good plan.

You are wise beyond your years of DG.

My only critique, and something I wish I had done when I was starting out, is to pick up something more finicky and OAT revealing like a Comet and throw the hell out of it rather than the Cro. I had a Skeeter and it, (although I'll admit they're pretty squirrely, despite my love of 'em) really helped smooth out my form.

I have removed everything over Speed 7 except for my Firebird (thumbers only) and the new addition of a Flick, which will only be used for forehands and thumbers. My 150G Sidewinder crutch has been benched. I will suffer with the consequences unitl I get better or give up. Pray for me to whatever your God of choice is. Even if it is a tree or shrub.

Is it discing down if I removed my Force and Surge and I put in something with a lower stability rating like a Nuke?

Is it discing down if I removed my Force and Surge and I put in something with a lower stability rating like a Nuke?
No. Discing down means going slower (I suggest discs that would fall in speed 6 or slower on Innvoa's scale), not just a lighter or more understable version of a faster disc.

Hmmm so I shouldn't have ordered one? LOL sorry buddy, I guess I was fishing for Frank.

On a side note suggesting I should throw a Cyclone has made me like my TeeBird better, and my 150g Sabre, or a Glide, maybe a 5gal bucket lid, .... I'm making an honest effort to disc down and gaining some distance with better form. The best suited to me seems to be a 172 ESP Crush, too fast but easy enough to turn over but able to handle a lot of snap. I've looked at the MS charts around Teebird speed and there isn't much I can get behind except an Eagle or the overstables but they are half the reason I'm in this mess. I spend a lot of time driving putters and Buzzz's.

If I throw 300' without any step up approach, FH or BH, 166g-172gmax, carving all different lines for accuracy with a :Teebird, Force, Surge, Destroyer, Leopard, Roadrunner, Avenger SS, Flick, Crush. I can punch a Buzzz, Impact, Panther, Glide, Skeeter out to 240'. Putters 200' Magic, Voodoo, Wizard. Is it possible that I've just topped out until I work in a step-up?

So seriously, where should these speed to foot limits be? Should a Teebird go say 350' then try an Orc to 365' etc.. cuz that's all a faster disc adds anyhow. If had to get a Roc out to 250' before I could buy a driver or if a Teebird is as good as it gets I would have taken up a different sport. I'd disc down to a Scorpion if they were still making them but that wouldn't help my wrist roll habit. Perhaps some of you old timers are just bitter because you had to throw a Teebird for 8yrs before they made something better and feel like everyone should suffer. No offense intended.

The thing is that this 330'-360' plateau isn't anything new. It hasn't gotten significantly longer since these faster drivers have been coming out. It's just that people find different ways to get the faster drivers out farther (usually by adding OAT) but then aren't able to throw putters or mids very far because of the flaws they now have.

People with good technique, however, are throwing quite a bit farther then they were back then. Back when the Teebird came out if you're topping out at 360'-380' with one that was probably your limit. Now if you can throw one that far you can probably put a Wraith out to near or past 400'.

If I throw 300' without any step up approach, FH or BH, 166g-172gmax, carving all different lines for accuracy with a :Teebird, Force, Surge, Destroyer, Leopard, Roadrunner, Avenger SS, Flick, Crush. I can punch a Buzzz, Impact, Panther, Glide, Skeeter out to 240'. Putters 200' Magic, Voodoo, Wizard. Is it possible that I've just topped out until I work in a step-up?
There's probably a bit more you can squeeze out of it, but I'd defintely start adding steps one at a time. I've never recommended thigns like not throwing anything faster than a mid until you're throwng them 300' or not adding steps until you're throwing Cyclones 320'. It's OK to step a bit outside your comfort zone. Now, I'd say that throwing speed 10-12 drivers when you're not breaking 300' is way outside what you should be doing, but I don't think that starting off with a putter, mid and Cheetah type disc is bad, even if you're not breaking 200', or starting to add steps before you've perfected a stand still throw is bad. Sometimes the little extra difficulty will make finding what you're doing wrong easier.

FWIW, most of the people who say to keep away from fast discs aren't saying that because they don't think people are worth of them. It's because they used to throw fast discs, disced down for a while and when they got back to throwing fast discs they realized that they really aren't better or more advanced, they're just discs you can use when you want to sacrifice control for a bit of distance. The advantage you see from throwing them just isn't anywhere near as big as many people think.

FWIW, most of the people who say to keep away from fast discs aren't saying that because they don't think people are worth of them. It's because they used to throw fast discs, disced down for a while and when they got back to throwing fast discs they realized that they really aren't better or more advanced, they're just discs you can use when you want to sacrifice control for a bit of distance. The advantage you see from throwing them just isn't anywhere near as big as many people think.

Whats funny about this is, there are so many times that after throwing a bunch of fast drivers then throw my Teebird, I turn and say to my buddy "I dont know why I bother throwing these discs, the Teebird does what I need and stays on target." but then I show up the next time out with a couple new drivers.

It's like smoking, in a way. I know its bad for me but I do it anyway and just have to get the fix.

You are right on. The more I do the disc down theory the more I notice the uselessness of throwing certain discs in certain situations. Iwasn't gaining enough distance by throwing a faster disc to make it worth the extra fade or turn it would get. Now I am throwing putters where I used to throw mids, and throwing mids where I used to throw drivers. I will still break out my Leopard or Teebird once in a while, but not nearly as often. As soon as this carppy winter breaks I am going to get in some more field work with my putters and mids. That is where I improved the quickest. I have been slumping, and reverting back to some bad habits, with all this snow and cold garbage.

Thanks again for the advice.... after buying a lot of plastic a year or so ago I noticed how a lot of discs cluster up in the same area regardless of the speed... and that a majority of them were high speed drivers that I had used to compensate for being a torque monster. I settled on throwing Surges for consistency and distance as long as they weigh < 172g but I know I'm not really throwing fast enough for them... if only the new ones would break in faster like my first 164 Z Surge.

After reading this forum for a while I really improved my putting and technique with mids... un?fortunately I've forgotten how to drive anything big. I'm getting some crazy love with the Stalker, it's prime driver right now. Got two aces in a day with it and one with Voodoo. HATTRICK. Likin the 150 Eagle, 150 Sabre... and I got a Comet on order... I like the idea of pointing out mistakes in 70ft tall neon letters.

Last edited:
I've been discin' down while playing snow golf. On my night/snow rounds around my house I've only used my Aviar. On my daytime/snow rounds I've just used an Aviar, a Roc and a JLS. Sadly, I could probably make it through regular rounds with that selection too. :D

Interesting, I had disced down recently and started seeing improvements. I had no idea it was called discing down though.