• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

I came not wanting to give up really overstable discs that I could throw flex shots easier with... now I drop my putters farther than I ever threw a driver. And now my mids farther still... now for that nosedown...

Have u tried working with different grips to get nose down? I've been playing around with a new grip that has been helping, esp with drivers. Start with a standard power grip with all four fingers wrapped around the rim. Then slide the index finger out so it sets on the edge of the rim, rather than wrapped all the way around. I've found that will put the nose down without having to manipulate wrist angle as much. I dunno, it's maybe something to try at least.

I'm gonna have to disc down all over again when my foot heals, good thing I never really disced that far up. :rolleyes: I am thinking about kicking out the Eagles and using a Cyclone and maybe snagging a Leo as my sole drivers to help knock the rust off.

Im going to disc down again after winter and see what I have broke. I will probably play at least a couple of rounds without heavy clothing with my full bag just to get it out of my system, but after that, going to start with my putters.

Im not going to really throw anything I dont plan on having in my bag when all is said and done though. Will probably just start with the Magics (that can be hard alone since I kind of use my Hornets for some overstable shorter shots but will be good try and see what the Magic really can do) then add the Fuse and Hornet then add the River, then my Preds.

It will probably just be one round and one extensive field session for each as Im not going to set a hard distance goal for each phase but rather see where Im at after each one and using it for shots up to a bit out of reach and keep extending that out when I reach that mark.

Least thats my plan now. Ask me in a couple of months and I might have changed my mind on how I want to approach it.

Have u tried working with different grips to get nose down? I've been playing around with a new grip that has been helping, esp with drivers. Start with a standard power grip with all four fingers wrapped around the rim. Then slide the index finger out so it sets on the edge of the rim, rather than wrapped all the way around. I've found that will put the nose down without having to manipulate wrist angle as much. I dunno, it's maybe something to try at least.

I should clarify, index finger would resting on inside edge of rim, say like a 45% angle. It just seems to put the hand more on top of the disc and naturally creates more nose down.

Mike C, never be the same?? Did he pull something trying to throw that Buzz 400 from the standstill? Hope not..

Regarding Roc/Comet combo...I've noticed just recently that my pretty beat in KC Roc almost perfectly overlaps my newish x Comet now. Have u come across this? I think I'll keeping beating up Roc and just have that as my turnover disc and try to keep the Comet for my straight flyer for as long as I can.

Nah, he just got a little upset over some infractions and headed off to DGR. He is a little more on par with their caliber anyway... dude could huk his wizards 330' on a whim...

As for the Roc comet combo the two discs blend so well it kinda blows my mind. But what I love is that their wings/bevels/rims are so similar they feel about the same in your hand but do drastically different things. But through manipulation can do very similar things... its just awesome. And what you've said is what most Innova Pro players do if they don't use any other mids than the Roc. They tend to keep 3-4. One kinda new, one well seasoned, and one beat to snot or one new, well starting to season well, one towards the end of being well seasoned, and one beat to snot...

Do you have any idea whether or not he has done that yet? That would be a sight to see. I wish he would suck it up and come back, he had some good advice

I sent him an e-mail last week since its been about 2 months since I've heard from him. But no idea, Cleveland area sucks right now so I kind of figure he has picked up another hobby/collection...

Yes, but I'm finding my thumb position to be more important.

So not trying to brag here, just curious if this happens to anyone else.

I've been discing down, and studying technique theory and drills religiously, and I really think I'm getting it. I was maxing about 350' with an opto flow, then disced down to using a first run S Line CD, and it was really stable at first, but I've noticed now that I'm getting more distance on it, it's not acting as stable. Granted it has some very mild wear and tear, but I'm pushing it out 360'-370' and its either hyzer flipping to flat, or even turning over a bit and then fading back. I really really doubt its OAT, considering its getting out to that distance, so I'm just curious if this is normal when you start pushing discs out farther.

I've been discing down, and studying technique theory and drills religiously, and I really think I'm getting it. I was maxing about 350' with an opto flow, then disced down to using a first run S Line CD, and it was really stable at first, but I've noticed now that I'm getting more distance on it, it's not acting as stable. Granted it has some very mild wear and tear, but I'm pushing it out 360'-370' and its either hyzer flipping to flat, or even turning over a bit and then fading back. I really really doubt its OAT, considering its getting out to that distance, so I'm just curious if this is normal when you start pushing discs out farther.

I say boy, it kinda of depends. Im not familiar with the CD or Flow. When you are truly (bad)OAT free, discs you thought were understable will be more stable, but will fly the way they were intended. You can play with rolling the wrist under on hyzer, which may give you more distance. I don't think you have maxed out the distance potential of your disc yet.

Last edited:
I say boy, it kinda of depends. Im not familiar with the CD or Flow. When you are truly (bad)OAT free, discs you thought were understable will be more stable, but will fly the way they were intended.
I'm not sure how the Flow will still fly for me, but from what I hear after the first run CDs weren't all that stable, so maybe mines just wearing in. idk, I need to get another driving video up I guess.

I've completely changed my game after reading articles on this website about discing down, really using slower speed discs with control first, distance last. My bag used to be all hyper-fast drivers, no midranges, and one putter. I had a pretty decent FH, as the only prior experience with frisbees i had was throwing FH. My backhand was awful, non-existent except for putts.

Now, my bag setup consists of:
2 DX Gazelle - 170 - one beat for turnovers, one new for soft fade. One more on the way, Champion Glow same weight for reliability, as new discs are cycled through.
2 DX Whippet - 167 - I needed a meathook compliment to the gaz, stayed in the same speed. Also cycled through stages, like the gaz.
2 Roc - one DX 177, beat for dead straight and long turnover approaches. one KC Pro 177 for extra glide off the tee and a little extra stability.
2 Wizard - one floppy soft, chalky complexion 175, one Evo 170.

I have been met with great success. No longer throw FH, as my form was inconsistant. Now I'm all BH. Thank you DGCR community.

Last edited:

Yeah, I dunno either. If I had to guess, I would say that 360-370' is probably pushing it for a CD since it's a "control driver," so anything past that is going to start flying more to the right. You could play around with rolling the wrist under like SW22 said. That's kind of the downside of throwing less common discs instead of benchmarks like the Roc and Teebird b/c it's harder to replace with a similar disc to test if it's just wearing in and also b/c there are general ranges hashed out with TBs and Rocs, etc.

I'd say that as long as you can get it to still finish with fade there's always some more distance potential to eke out of it, probably from throwing it higher. Pure conjecture on my part though.

yeah, I think I'm gonna drag my Star TB out and see how it flies for me,

what should I expect in flight for a TB thrown with slight hyzer with about 360' of power?

also, can anyone give me tips on a good stable driver slower than a TB, preferably to compliment a gazelle, (close to the same speed)?

what should I expect in flight for a TB thrown with slight hyzer with about 360' of power?

also, can anyone give me tips on a good stable driver slower than a TB, preferably to compliment a gazelle, (close to the same speed)?

1. If it's fairly new it should be pretty straight with just a tad of fade I think. There's a chart over at DGR with all the TB distance vs power whatever but I have no idea where it is.

2. You mean beefier or flippier than your Gazelle? I'd say Whippet for the former and Cheetah or Leopard for the latter.

I meant beefier, I'm already carrying a Trident, I was just curious if anything at that speed would be neutrally stable, like a teebird but slower. Oh how I miss my glow gazelles, lol.

but yeah, I'll get back to everyone on how the TB works out, hopefully with a video.

Now lookit here son, Star TBs will hit 360' hyzer, flat, anny, it just depends on the height and angles. You might not get as much distance throwing it hyzer with 360' power though. Star TBs don't tend to fly as far as DX, or Champ though. I believe the DX TB still has the second longest throw somewhere around 800'.

I say boy, you could go with a Whippet or Viper for a more stable speed 6, both of those are a bit more stable than a Gazelle.

Ok, so there's a lot of folks here on the last few pages talking about how much this discing down thing has helped them but this is a LOT of pages and info to read through (which I will if I have to, but) is there something or a link summing it up? Or is the idea basically just to get rid of your distance drivers and work on your form like Dave mentioned in the first post?

Ok, so there's a lot of folks here on the last few pages talking about how much this discing down thing has helped them but this is a LOT of pages and info to read through (which I will if I have to, but) is there something or a link summing it up? Or is the idea basically just to get rid of your distance drivers and work on your form like Dave mentioned in the first post?

I say gal, most noobs go straight to high speed drivers and not being able to throw with snap yet, they compensate with OAT. Pay attention gal, throwing lower speed discs teaches you good form, or else you turn and burn. Are you listening gal, discing down also opens up different shots and forces you to really learn what you can do with each disc. Its amazing to see what you can really do with just a stable putter, like throwing 250'+ straight with zero fade. Alright gal, now turn down your fandango.

I say boy, I've heard all that before. Don't pretend you weren't ever a noob (worst quality in a non-noob!) Just trying to get an idea for what this thread is all about. If there's more to it than that or not. Been driving with my Star TL and my putter when I need short and straight. Don't use my sidewinder much anymore, hate my beast, and only use my archangel for thumbers or when I'm in a quagmire and need some luck (for some reason this disc is just my lucky one.)