• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Spoken like a true Southern gentleman, sah.

And a lot of good advice in there. I don't go over a speed seven driver (like a TeeBird or a Cyclone) unless I need to in order to take advantage of the wind. Which is why I have a Katana in my bag.

I say boy, I've heard all that before. Don't pretend you weren't ever a noob (worst quality in a non-noob!) Just trying to get an idea for what this thread is all about. If there's more to it than that or not. Been driving with my Star TL and my putter when I need short and straight. Don't use my sidewinder much anymore, hate my beast, and only use my archangel for thumbers or when I'm in a quagmire and need some luck (for some reason this disc is just my lucky one.)

Now I say, I say who's responsible for this unwarranted attack of my person? Feel my wing gal, I say I was young and tender once. Look sister, is any of this filtering through that little blue bonnet of yours?

:) Didn't mean to offend a southern gent, should be more of em around! Just trying to sort through all this information!

Sort away and just enjoy SW22's charm. Sometimes that Foghorn Leghorn shtick really nails something that makes me laugh. Impressive he's kept it up like this...

Yeah, its usually pretty funny, but sometimes its just a normal sentence started with "I say boy"

Yes, but I'm finding my thumb position to be more important.

Do u use the Climo grip or power grip for drivers? When I use the Climo grip, I don't find thumb position to change much. I use a power grip for drivers mostly though and I do find it to change. For nose up, thumb is setting toward edge of rim. For nose down, thumb is pointing more toward the center of the disc. Have u found the same?

For nose up, thumb is setting toward edge of rim. For nose down, thumb is pointing more toward the center of the disc. Have u found the same?

This boy's more mixed up than a feather in a whirlwind. Nods his head when he means no, and shakes his head when he means yes. The thumb toward the rim typically should help nose down.

I say boy, I've heard all that before. Don't pretend you weren't ever a noob (worst quality in a non-noob!) Just trying to get an idea for what this thread is all about. If there's more to it than that or not. Been driving with my Star TL and my putter when I need short and straight. Don't use my sidewinder much anymore, hate my beast, and only use my archangel for thumbers or when I'm in a quagmire and need some luck (for some reason this disc is just my lucky one.)

Nah, that's pretty much it. In today's DG world, noobs come flying into the sport wielding all of the modern drivers meant for the pros b/c the companies push them like drugs to an 8th grader. The result being that there are unwieldy hordes of frolfers putting the cart before the horse.

Discing down and its twin sister Mold Minimalism have the following benefits:

• Reinforces proper form and less OAT.
  • Reinforces line shaping fundamentals.
  • Familiarizes the player with his discs.
  • Causes the discs to rely on the player more than the other way around.
  • Better shot selection and faster decision making.
  • Better distance.
  • Less discs = more $ in your pocket.
  • Outdriving your friend's Boss with your putter.

• Better distance.

^^^this has been my mantra and my response when my friends ask me why i only carry 8 discs (4 molds, 2 stages of each so far)

and it really does feel good outdriving others with a putter :thmbup:

I don't really have anybody to brag to so I'll just say it here. I hit a +3 today @ Cedar Hill in Nashville, TN. This course is extremely hard. I have averaged +12 to +13 out here for months (with a best of +7). Hit it today with nothing but my Pro Teebird, Champ Leopard, E Wizard, and Hard Magnet. I haven't been out there since the whole discin' down thing so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was sure on a few of the longer holes I would want something else for the longer holes but I stuck every shot right down the middle and killed it. This has been an adventure in discing down.

That is a nice round on that course. There are lots of spots that you can ring up a double bogey real quick. Nice job. I tried to truly play a disc down round last time I played there, but couldn't resist bombing my XXX on some thumbers. Thumbed is a nice shot on that course. Congrats.

Yeah, this course taught me the value of the tomahawk shot for sure. Didn't really need it today though. :) On 17 I usually throw my whole bag of warp speeds and land about 150 from the pin. Today I threw my Leopard nice and low and clean and landed about 50 out and right in front as opposed to on the edge of the rough like before.

Alright, I've altered my bag once again... and I think this is the loadout I'm going to stick with for a while. I still have a bit of variety, but mostly so I can take advantage of the wind and such.

attachment.php

attachment.php

175 GumbPutt
175 86 Softie
175 Medium Ion
146 DX Cobra
167 Champion Panther
165 Cyclone
150 Star TeeBird
150 Star TeeBird
156 Pro TeeBird-L
166 DX TeeBird
168 Star Roadrunner
167 Pro Katana

I've pushed most drivers out in favor of the TeeBirds, with the Roadrunner and Katana kept in for specialty shots and the Cyclone because it's a bit beat in and flies a lot like the TeeBird, but is slightly easier to turn over.

The Panther is a utility disc, doing whatever I need it to do, but it lacks the range of the Cobra. The Cobra is my absolute favorite disc and I have more long birdies with it than anything else.

I'm working on driving with all three putters. The Ion has done very well, as has the GumbPutt. I haven't tried the 86 Softie yet, but I have seen heavy 86's drive a good 200 feet before. So I think I'll do well with them.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1738.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1739.jpg
    IMG_1739.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 132

• Better distance.

Keep that on file dave. Best summation of discing down yet.

175 GumbPutt
175 86 Softie
175 Medium Ion
146 DX Cobra
167 Champion Panther
165 Cyclone
150 Star TeeBird
150 Star TeeBird
156 Pro TeeBird-L
166 DX TeeBird
168 Star Roadrunner
167 Pro Katana

Can you explain the cyclone and katana? cyclone because of the teebirds and katana because its so fast...

Like I said, the Cyclone flies like the Teebirds, but is easier to make turn over. The Katana is for situations that a higher speed disc is at an advantage. Normally, I only use them once or twice a round, but it is nice to have the options they provide.

@ AJ_86

Ever tried a heavier Cobra to see if you can't drop that Panther? I'm not crazy about the Cyclone, seems like you should be able to find a DX TB or a TL that you can wear in enough to replace it. And you don't have any stable-overstable mids at all, that would cripple my game.