• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

X is pretty durable...it took about a year or so of use before mine became "flippy," and Comet flippy is awesome. They do that slow turn thing beat Rocs do.

Yes but... if durability is an issue look for a flatter top ESP.. I play on rockpiles that eat the new "X" plastic, also probably less than -174g as a starting point.

X is pretty durable...it took about a year or so of use before mine became "flippy," and Comet flippy is awesome. They do that slow turn thing beat Rocs do.

While I agree with Streets...took me well over a year to season an X to turnover and I think X Comets are fantastic, I have played ThrawaEnvy's home course and 100% understand his concerns. That place is NASTY rocky and will chew up anything. I didn't even throw a lot of my normal discs when I was there because I didn't want to destroy them.

While I agree with Streets...took me well over a year to season an X to turnover and I think X Comets are fantastic, I have played ThrawaEnvy's home course and 100% understand his concerns. That place is NASTY rocky and will chew up anything. I didn't even throw a lot of my normal discs when I was there because I didn't want to destroy them.

Waaaa Waaaa! I didn't know you had been out this way.. Do I know you? Did you make it to my place for the doubles?

Yeah x plastic, DX and electron has a limited lifespan.. 2 months on 3 soft E Envys and they are Proxyish.. My 4 year old first proton isn't as straight yet as a fresh electron... my "9" used for a few throws is a 8- haha.

Flat ESP for me..

Waaaa Waaaa! I didn't know you had been out this way.. Do I know you? Did you make it to my place for the doubles?

No it's been like 4-5 years since I was there, we did a group camping trip on the island. Best course ever for people new to the game too...the bad luck and crazy kicks you can get is so comical with friends. What was a general camping trip that I brought extra discs to, turned into a disc golf weekend for everyone.

But that course definitely eats plastic for breakfast haha

No it's been like 4-5 years since I was there, we did a group camping trip on the island. Best course ever for people new to the game too...the bad luck and crazy kicks you can get is so comical with friends. What was a general camping trip that I brought extra discs to, turned into a disc golf weekend for everyone.

But that course definitely eats plastic for breakfast haha

Well if you make it out this way again look me up! Might be able to check out a private course.

It's pretty much unusable semi mountainous park. Lots of rock.. Almost no grass and lots of terrain changes but it's pretty short distance wise. Great for shorter distance and mid development. And of course "discing down"

Try the X-Comet first! I think the X is best for anyone's first Comet.

My buddy gave me a very aged one to field test plus I ordered one in ESP. I would love to bag these Comets in 2 different plastics and was thinking about pairing them up with ESP and Elite Z. Durable will be a concern of mine because there are tons of wooded courses where I play, creek beds too.

Yeah x plastic, DX and electron has a limited lifespan.. 2 months on 3 soft E Envys and they are Proxyish.. My 4 year old first proton isn't as straight yet as a fresh electron... my "9" used for a few throws is a 8- haha.

Flat ESP for me..

I have never thrown anything in Elite X plastic before, in the past it's always been either ESP or Elite Z.

I'm getting pretty excited to get out and try everything out.

I have never thrown anything in Elite X plastic before, in the past it's always been either ESP or Elite Z.

I'm getting pretty excited to get out and try everything out.

Well if you're buying a Z anyhow consider a glow Z.. I like them because generally it's a medium flat dome.. And it glows. Dome is an interesting part of Comet preference.. Check out the "Comet love" thread.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10566

Sharks when beat in can do the same thing, the slightly OS version of a Comet. I would suggest a DX cycle if one wants that the quickest or get a Star one or two then use them until they are beat in just right.

I've been throwing a lot of Mid/putter rounds recently:

Z Wasp
Z Buzzz
SS Wizard x2

It helps my local course only has a few driver shots...but I've been starting to push my mids a little further out than they used to go. Getting back to throwing Wizards like I used to as well.

Wow, this thread is amazing.. 142 pages and counting.

I'm in. My distance wasn't much to begin with (~330), but it's started to even regress lately to ~300. By eliminating high speed drivers, my hope is to focus more on technique and precision. Also want to commit to more field work. It's not as fun as playing a round, but playing a round is not as fun if you're not as good.

Going forward, my bag:
2 Wizards
2 Rocs
2 Explorers

Wow, this thread is amazing.. 142 pages and counting.

I'm in. My distance wasn't much to begin with (~330), but it's started to even regress lately to ~300. By eliminating high speed drivers, my hope is to focus more on technique and precision. Also want to commit to more field work. It's not as fun as playing a round, but playing a round is not as fun if you're not as good.

Going forward, my bag:
2 Wizards
2 Rocs
2 Explorers

That should be a great setup. It might not be as fun initially but trust me, I go many rounds where I will forego flicking drivers or bombing max D drivers so that I can hone my finesse game and once you get that rhythm those flippy mids, drivers, and putters get super fun. It's a different kind of fun but perfectly gapping a wooded fairway with a hyzer flipped Fuse is one of the most satisfying things ever. And you'll save some energy floating stuff down range instead of ripping low-line drives all the time in a work smarter, not harder kind of way.

One of the local pitch and putts has 9 baskets with 18 tee pads ranging in distance from 150 to 400ft. I love to take 4 different putter molds and just play a round keeping score of each. A few of the guys I know think this sounds boring because they can't rip on discs, but I think it's a blast! I've also learned a lot about what you can really do with putters, and my forehand game has improved dramatically too.

Recently I played a round with a; Nova, DX Aviar P&A, DX Birdie and a Yeti Aviar. I shot a -12 with the Yeti! A couple of years ago I could't have shot that well with my normal bag. The Birdie only got a -4 (lots of low ceiling shots didn't help the Birdie).

There is one slightly down hill 300ft hole that I used to throw a leopard on, I birdied it twice that day with a Yeti and an Aviar P&A!

Anyway, discing down is fun, especially if your in a humdrum same old same old disc golf mind set. Great way to shake things up and make you think differently.

I've been taking on my local course with mostly a Wizard, Buzzz and Buzzz OS and it's been a fun experience. I really only use drivers on 2-3 holes out there but I've been able to reach one of those holes by pushing the Buzzz further.

I've come to realize I really don't enjoy drivers lol.

I've been taking on my local course with mostly a Wizard, Buzzz and Buzzz OS and it's been a fun experience. I really only use drivers on 2-3 holes out there but I've been able to reach one of those holes by pushing the Buzzz further.

I've come to realize I really don't enjoy drivers lol.

Yeah, it is pretty fun!

As for drivers; me too!
Down to;
Star Eagle-X
G* Teebird
Thrashed DX Teebird

Besides that and my putters, it's a few Rocs.

I've had some holes in my schedule this week, and North Shore Channel; our other "Chicago" disc golf course, where wind is the biggest challenge is near my route.
It's 9 holes, but they have been landscaping it some, which will make for some more throwing decisions; and more importantly, shade from the sun in the next few years.
Been taking my Star Gazelle, Champ Super Stingray and Star Aviar3.
Been fun to do with just three, and my more understable discs as mid and fairway.

I played Sunday doubles round on the weekend.. Took a Comet, Relay and 3 Envy's. Plasma 165, soft E 165 and Neutron 172? Halloween... did a lot of damage with those three, hardly touched the Comet. If it wasn't for putter rounds on my short course with the dog every second night I never would have revisited the soft electron envy. Now it's a driving fiend for a straight 230' tunnel shot.

It's pretty much become routine for me to disc down all winter.. Once the footing is crappy and I'm playing less it helps me stay in the groove better. It's amazing the holes you think are too far to use X disc on and then you rip a Comet at it and park it and think damn I should have figured that out sooner.

One of the local pitch and putts has 9 baskets with 18 tee pads ranging in distance from 150 to 400ft. I love to take 4 different putter molds and just play a round keeping score of each. A few of the guys I know think this sounds boring because they can't rip on discs, but I think it's a blast!

Huh? Putter only rounds mean you get to rip it MORE!