• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing Down in a Bag

I wouldn't disc down to a putter...Understable fairway is as far as I suggest to my friends trying to get into it. You'll get it out farther than putters or mids, which keeps you motivated, but they're still slow enough to work on form issues. Leopard, Xpress, F7, Patriot...

Did you even bother to read the OP's posts?:doh:
He's throwing less than 100ft! He doesn't need higher speed disc recommendations, he needs help with his form first.

I wouldn't disc down to a putter...Understable fairway is as far as I suggest to my friends trying to get into it. You'll get it out farther than putters or mids, which keeps you motivated, but they're still slow enough to work on form issues. Leopard, Xpress, F7, Patriot...

The good thing is that many of my understable discs are fairways and mids. I only have two drivers.

JBCHyzer, you're throwing from a chair, right?

Can you throw forehand? I've found when I'm most isolated in movement (bad lie, stuck in a bush, whatever), I can get the best distance from forehand flicks with very little body movement outside my shoulder, elbow, and wrist of my throwing arm. I think I can get maybe 150' from such a throw, in a perfect shot.

For such a shot, the Shark, Roc, or Truth should work well.

Backhand, I don't think i could generate a shot over 100' sitting, and probably more like 75'. I just don't have the 'snap' backhand that I do forehand, although my overall distance is farther.

This might help, as he shows the forehand form in isolation, using only the arm at first.

Did you even bother to read the OP's posts?:doh:
He's throwing less than 100ft! He doesn't need higher speed disc recommendations, he needs help with his form first.

Yes I did...and I still think fan gripping a deep rimmed putter (which seems to be the common choice of grip for putters) or learning a power grip on them isn't the place to start. The slow understable fairways I mentioned, with HSS's around -3, will still uncover form issues and be easier to grip for the average player, and that grip will translate better down the road, when discing up or down.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I've taught a friend or two and they come along nicely. I'll step aside though. OP is in good hands. Plenty of good advice posted here already.

JBCHyzer, you're throwing from a chair, right?

Can you throw forehand? I've found when I'm most isolated in movement (bad lie, stuck in a bush, whatever), I can get the best distance from forehand flicks with very little body movement outside my shoulder, elbow, and wrist of my throwing arm. I think I can get maybe 150' from such a throw, in a perfect shot.

For such a shot, the Shark, Roc, or Truth should work well.

Backhand, I don't think i could generate a shot over 100' sitting, and probably more like 75'. I just don't have the 'snap' backhand that I do forehand, although my overall distance is farther.

This might help, as he shows the forehand form in isolation, using only the arm at first.

Yes. I think forehand (RHFH) as opposed to RHBH, will yield greater distances, but as I have said previously, I am completely aware that the distance will come in time.

Fortunately, I am starting to throw forehand more, but also backhand with results as good as my forehand throws, given my limited mobility. As you have suggested, I have a Shark, Roc, and Truth in my bag already.:thmbup:

Yeah, I picked those discs from the ones you listed earlier in the thread.

I'm not sure which of those three might work best. The Shark, depending on weight, might not handle forehands well. I'm fairly certain the Roc will, and the Truth MIGHT. I've heard people say their Truths are less stable than a Shark, whereas the one I have is MORE stable than my Roc3, and is my go-to forehand disc for anything but drives. If I didn't have issues of occasionally rolling my wrist on release, I could probably throw it forehand further with confidence. I also love the Roc. For some reason, I just find DX Rocs to be the disc I have the best 'feel' for. Seems like they magically drop at the pin for me for forehand approaches.

I would definitely set aside everything faster than your Witness and Jackal, at least for now. When our form was still pretty lousy, my husband got the best distance out of flex shots with a Witness, so even early on, they may get you good distance.

Anyway, that's my (probably pretty limited in usefulness) advice.

Yeah, I picked those discs from the ones you listed earlier in the thread.

I'm not sure which of those three might work best. The Shark, depending on weight, might not handle forehands well. I'm fairly certain the Roc will, and the Truth MIGHT. I've heard people say their Truths are less stable than a Shark, whereas the one I have is MORE stable than my Roc3, and is my go-to forehand disc for anything but drives. If I didn't have issues of occasionally rolling my wrist on release, I could probably throw it forehand further with confidence. I also love the Roc. For some reason, I just find DX Rocs to be the disc I have the best 'feel' for. Seems like they magically drop at the pin for me for forehand approaches.

I would definitely set aside everything faster than your Witness and Jackal, at least for now. When our form was still pretty lousy, my husband got the best distance out of flex shots with a Witness, so even early on, they may get you good distance.

Anyway, that's my (probably pretty limited in usefulness) advice.

No, that's actually exactly the information that I was looking for. There's been some fantastic feedback here in this thread and I truly appreciate it!:clap:

The weights and plastics of some of those discs might help us a bit. Are all your discs new? I'd concentrate on just a couple discs. I think the four you listed in your OP would be just fine. Start by mastering the Ion. Playing with just a handful of discs would help not only giving you consistency with the discs you are trying to learn with but you'd also get more repetitions with them and beat them in faster at the same time. You could add a couple more once you see what kind of shots would compliment your current choices well. Sticking with the same discs over time rather than constantly switching will also help. Playing with others especially better players will help you learn some form and different kind of shots initially. I'd throw both BH and FH if you can. Keep it up!

The weights and plastics of some of those discs might help us a bit. Are all your discs new? I'd concentrate on just a couple discs. I think the four you listed in your OP would be just fine. Start by mastering the Ion. Playing with just a handful of discs would help not only giving you consistency with the discs you are trying to learn with but you'd also get more repetitions with them and beat them in faster at the same time. You could add a couple more once you see what kind of shots would compliment your current choices well. Sticking with the same discs over time rather than constantly switching will also help. Playing with others especially better players will help you learn some form and different kind of shots initially. I'd throw both BH and FH if you can. Keep it up!

Yes. All discs are new - well, new-ish. Many of them are in the 165-172g weight range.

UPDATE:

I went out for a few dozen throws this afternoon using most of my core bag and I'm now at the point where, after a lot of tough work, I feel like I can finally control, if not outright eliminate wrist roll. I'm now flicking my discs about as far as I do backhand which do indeed put me squarely in that short 50'-75' range.

I would have recorded myself except my phone doesn't take video.....

Yes. All discs are new - well, new-ish. Many of them are in the 165-172g weight range.

I tend to do the same 166 is the lightest with a uphill downhill putter then my lighter 167 gram Champion Destroyer to max being 171 my Valkyrie's one is Star 2008 Ice bowl and the other a new glow Champion one. The exceptions are my main putters max 175 grams and my Shark mid ranges are also at 175 grams. Oh and a Dragon at 150 grams but probably more like 148 grams now, need a new Dragon, thinking if not that then a Wahoo.

Latest posts