• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania - CD2

This mold is amazing! I'm not sure I've clicked with a mold this immediately since the fd.
I get some of turn with a reliable fade, it's squarly inside my power level which makes it workable. I'm excited to get more throws in, learn it's limits a little better, but it's Gone straight into my bag

This mold is amazing! I'm not sure I've clicked with a mold this immediately since the fd.
I get some of turn with a reliable fade, it's squarly inside my power level which makes it workable. I'm excited to get more throws in, learn it's limits a little better, but it's Gone straight into my bag

I was pretty certain the flight pattern would be what you want, but how is the distance compared to FD/Teebird/Thunderbird?

I was pretty certain the flight pattern would be what you want, but how is the distance compared to FD/Teebird/Thunderbird?

Good question.
More testing is needed.
It definitely gets more than the thunderbird, even on a big flex I get the least D with my thundy.
I have found the FD a little squirrely our past 300', so I don't really know it's far limits, that may be something I should revisit.

I think my estar TB is very close to the same distance but with a straight to fade pattern. It often surprises me, seems to keep up with just about anything else I can throw...
I wonder if I get the nose down enough to get full distance starting around speed 9... I should really get some video and head back over to the form forum, I've been slacking.

I got a few more throws on today. Ive never thrown a disc that powers down like this one... maybe I've been throwing to stable a bag all along?
At 60% it seems to have the same flight pattern as at 90%. It holds a hyzer more easily when powered down, but thrown flat it flips up rides right a little and then comes back to about centre.
Is everyone having this experience with the cd2? Are there other discs you've thrown that have a similar pattern?

I got a few more throws on today. Ive never thrown a disc that powers down like this one... maybe I've been throwing to stable a bag all along?
At 60% it seems to have the same flight pattern as at 90%. It holds a hyzer more easily when powered down, but thrown flat it flips up rides right a little and then comes back to about centre.
Is everyone having this experience with the cd2? Are there other discs you've thrown that have a similar pattern?

Some discs are just really consistent across different speeds/power. I find a worked in Teebird is like that...same flight for me at 280' as 360+. FD is the same, the -1/1 gets wider but it always drifts and then sweeps back, the flight is almost no movement at 300' but it's the same pattern at 350+...turns for the same % of time and then still comes out of it.

It's not necessarily too stable a bag, as some understable discs will fade at lower speed but turnover and never come back at high speed. You have to learn what they do at 60% vs. 80%+, whereas really good understable molds will turn over all the time for me.

Maybe try a Trespass out, they have that -1/2 flight I find across a good variety of distances. Pretty similar pattern to the CD2 but speed 11/12ish and definitely more distance for me. Not a replacement, but if you like one you probably like the other. It's easy to throw but a little more floaty to me whereas the CD2 seems like it's really good for placement shots.

Some discs are just really consistent across different speeds/power. I find a worked in Teebird is like that...same flight for me at 280' as 360+. FD is the same, the -1/1 gets wider but it always drifts and then sweeps back, the flight is almost no movement at 300' but it's the same pattern at 350+...turns for the same % of time and then still comes out of it.

It's not necessarily too stable a bag, as some understable discs will fade at lower speed but turnover and never come back at high speed. You have to learn what they do at 60% vs. 80%+, whereas really good understable molds will turn over all the time for me.

Maybe try a Trespass out, they have that -1/2 flight I find across a good variety of distances. Pretty similar pattern to the CD2 but speed 11/12ish and definitely more distance for me. Not a replacement, but if you like one you probably like the other. It's easy to throw but a little more floaty to me whereas the CD2 seems like it's really good for placement shots.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm trying to experiment with high speed drivers a bit. So far I'm not getting any more distance than my lower speed stuff. I have a wraith and a gateway journey I'll take out periodically, but I'm not seeing any advantage there.
My axiom insanity, however, does for the bill but only in calm or tail wind conditions.
I'll keep a look out for the trespass, any thoughts on plastic type or disc to disc variation (plh, dome, etc)?

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm trying to experiment with high speed drivers a bit. So far I'm not getting any more distance than my lower speed stuff. I have a wraith and a gateway journey I'll take out periodically, but I'm not seeing any advantage there.
My axiom insanity, however, does for the bill but only in calm or tail wind conditions.
I'll keep a look out for the trespass, any thoughts on plastic type or disc to disc variation (plh, dome, etc)?

If you're just getting into high speed stuff then try to find lower wing ones. They do beat in to the point of being able to be used as turnover discs if you can throw 350+ line drives. I have not thrown Bio ones, but from more recent reviews I've seen they are the least stable so maybe give that a shot. I have thrown new Lucids at most stable that are -0.5/2.5 to me, but my beat in Lucid is like a Tern -2/2. So there is variety but not crazy OS or US, all are usable for most arms and they aren't crazy nose angle sensitive.

So if you are able to look in store then find normal to low wing height regardless of plastic, if you are buying blindly maybe try Bio but I have not thrown that plastic. Bio does beat in faster than other plastics. The most stable Lucid I have thrown recently was like a normal stability star Wraith, so they should get you more distance.

I'm not the biggest fan of these reviews, but Cody's flights are pretty consistent with what I've seen from stable to less stable versions of Trespasses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpv7vBm05wg

Here they come fellas

36547151_1760660547382231_698496333849296896_n.jpg

Attachments

• Roaming thunder.jpg
    Roaming thunder.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 19
I was really hoping for a stock run, but I guess I'll take what I can get.

Same here. Do we know when these are dropping? I'd like to get them at MSRP, before the insta-collectors buy them up and try to double their money the next day. (Happy for Dana tho; good disc and cool stamp. I'd expect they can sell a heap of these things.)

Kinda bummed about the swirly S-line as well. The pic that Jon posted is hawt for sure, but the reality is that 90% of them will be murky colors and get lost very easily.

This winter I was using a glow champ Shryke, and found that it powered down very nicely. Was actually using the Shyrke for CD2 shots during glow rounds, because I couldn't get my hands on a glow CD2.

At basically full power (360'-400') I feel like the Shyrke is 13/6/-3/+2. 60% power (300') it really flies the CD2 lines for me, 9/5/-1/+2. At either power range it will flip, but reliably fade back to just on the overstable side of a straight line.

(However, grip is noticeably different between these molds, Shryke is much more sensitive to nose angle, Shryke will skip farther, etc.) But for being a total bomber distance disc, the Shryke really behaves nicely at lower power. I find that most of the wide rimmed drivers, even ones that are flippy at high speed, just act like OS hogs when powered down.

Same here. Do we know when these are dropping? I'd like to get them at MSRP, before the insta-collectors buy them up and try to double their money the next day. (Happy for Dana tho; good disc and cool stamp. I'd expect they can sell a heap of these things.)

Kinda bummed about the swirly S-line as well. The pic that Jon posted is hawt for sure, but the reality is that 90% of them will be murky colors and get lost very easily.

I read they are going up July 16th. Thankfully there are multiple sites now that post individual pictures.

This winter I was using a glow champ Shryke, and found that it powered down very nicely. Was actually using the Shyrke for CD2 shots during glow rounds, because I couldn't get my hands on a glow CD2.

At basically full power (360'-400') I feel like the Shyrke is 13/6/-3/+2. 60% power (300') it really flies the CD2 lines for me, 9/5/-1/+2. At either power range it will flip, but reliably fade back to just on the overstable side of a straight line.

(However, grip is noticeably different between these molds, Shryke is much more sensitive to nose angle, Shryke will skip farther, etc.) But for being a total bomber distance disc, the Shryke really behaves nicely at lower power. I find that most of the wide rimmed drivers, even ones that are flippy at high speed, just act like OS hogs when powered down.

Have you thrown the shrike in other plastic? Is it pretty consistent in that flight? Or is the glow an outlier?

Have you thrown the shrike in other plastic? Is it pretty consistent in that flight? Or is the glow an outlier?

That's the only one I've thrown. Got it as part of a players pack, and I only threw it because it was glow. (Typically I'm throwing star Vulcan or pro Destroyer for that flippy distance slot in my bag.) Also it's 175g, which is heavier than I typically throw for distance drivers. And it was brand new when I started throwing it for glow league.

My gut tells me that the max weight champ glow is more stable/OS than most other Shrykes, but I can't personally verify it.

(In general, just talking with people, I get the impression that a lot of Shrykes start a lot more stable than people expect. They're not like a G-star Daedalus, that is flippy right out of the box.)

but the reality is that 90% of them will be murky colors and get lost very easily.

Yeah, keeps me from ordering anything in that line from the Innova store too, Discrafts swirly tour series tend to be that way also.

I think I have had like 10 Swirly discs across several molds and all of them have either been shades of turquoise or beige or pinkish. Nothinf murky/hard to find. Color me lucky I guess, or that precentage is a little inflated?

I think I have had like 10 Swirly discs across several molds and all of them have either been shades of turquoise or beige or pinkish. Nothinf murky/hard to find. Color me lucky I guess, or that precentage is a little inflated?

When I've ordered swirly Star discs, I always ask for bright blue or pink or orange, and they usually accommodate me with something good. One pink Leopard3 was close to the color of the ground in the woods on my home course, but it showed up well enough in the grass of the open fields. So "ask and ye shall receive"..

This sounds about right. I'm just picky about getting bright discs that are super easy to locate. Turquoise blends in really well with sagebrush, which makes up a lot of the Montana prairie landscape. Beige is the rest of the landscape.

Also, of COURSE the S-line CD2's are dropping right when I'm away from my computer for 3 days playing frolf in Utah. Perfect timing.

If anyone gets some that are pretty bright pink in the 170-175g range, I'll PayPal you! :thmbup: