• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Evolution Instinct

skizzle34

Banned
With the instinct being released on May 2nd I figured we better get a thread up and running about it. I just received my Neo instinct on Monday and have gotten about 10-15 throws in with it. This is a mold that will make it in to a lot of bags. If you have ever thrown a PD but wish you didn't have to SMASH on it to get a straight to fade flight the instinct will be right up your alley. The instinct and the FD2v3 are what I would call semi similar. The FD2 has a smaller hand feel and slightly less HSS. The Neo plastic that the instinct is run in has an excellent tack to it and feels great. My first throw with the instinct was on a 430' slightly downhill shot and thrown flat with 90% power I managed a dead straight flight with fade at about 80% of the flight that ended up 25-30' long (realistically the hole plays around 380-390'). I look forward to putting the instinct and the FD2 through the paces together and I think they may both have a spot in the bag :thmbup:

Sounds a lot like the flight of my Roaming Thunder. We will see soon.

The instinct should be much more HSS than a CD2 from my semi limited experience with the CD2. The instinct can take my full power (~500' golf power) without a problem on a flat/slight hyzer release. When I threw CD2 I had to hyzer release to get it to flip up to flat. If you release the instinct on a full hyzer it will not flip up to flat but instead hold the hyzer angle for the entirety of its flight. I threw a 380' spike hyzer with the instinct yesterday and it didn't show the slightest hint of flip up.

The instinct should be much more HSS than a CD2 from my semi limited experience with the CD2. The instinct can take my full power (~500' golf power) without a problem on a flat/slight hyzer release. When I threw CD2 I had to hyzer release to get it to flip up to flat. If you release the instinct on a full hyzer it will not flip up to flat but instead hold the hyzer angle for the entirety of its flight. I threw a 380' spike hyzer with the instinct yesterday and it didn't show the slightest hint of flip up.

Sounds like the less stable runs of S-Line PD then. Might be useful if it powers down more easily or all future runs of PD are more OS like last year. Although I already have soooo many backups of good PD

Sounds like the less stable runs of S-Line PD then. Might be useful if it powers down more easily or all future runs of PD are more OS like last year. Although I already have soooo many backups of good PD

I honestly feel like it is a PD that is just a tad slower. In my experience so far it seems that the distance potential of the instinct may even rival that of the PD with its HSS and glide but I have not thrown it for distance shots yet. This thing fits basically perfectly between the FD2v3 and the PD.

Felt one of these up yesterday and the plastic feels nice, kinda champystar. Pricey at $19.99 at a local shop.

Same flight numbers as the new FD2 but sounds a bit more stable from the reviews. More dome than I prefer, gonna pass on trying this one since I have beat S-PDs and a couple of Roaming Thunders I'm trying to love.

Edit above...a couple Royal Rages I'm trying to love.

I do believe the FD2v3 will possibly be a more popular disc for a lot of people. It does not require the same power levels to achieve similar flights which makes it more forgiving. The flat top of the FD2 also feels great. I personally see myself probably bagging both the FD2 and the instinct and dropping PDs. Gotta get in some more time with the instinct.

Did these just mold up a hair more beefy than expected? If they're similar I don't see any desire to try an instinct, flat fd2v3 I'm hoping as it wears in a bit will become the primary forehand fairway. Kinda beefy now, similar fresh to my beat OG flat 160s fd2...which started out pretty much a banshee.

Did these just mold up a hair more beefy than expected? If they're similar I don't see any desire to try an instinct, flat fd2v3 I'm hoping as it wears in a bit will become the primary forehand fairway. Kinda beefy now, similar fresh to my beat OG flat 160s fd2...which started out pretty much a banshee.

The instinct IMO is meant to be slightly more stable than the FD2v3 in general. The FD2v3 is what a fairway is meant to be in my eyes. Has stability to handle power but is also workable and forgiving. The instinct is a power fairway where throwing it hard will get you the best results. The HSS of the instinct definitely gives me slightly more trust in it when throwing hard.

I agree with you but I think it might be intentional. I think the main purpose of these new lines molded by Lat64 are to provide easier access to the Discmania brand in the EU. Same goes for the Yikun molds in Asia.

The FD2 actually fits between an FD3 and an FD. The FD3 and the PD are similar already, I don't see how we add an Instinct to that. The FD2 has more fade than the 2nd run FD but moves more laterally. I have a 166 one that I plan on seasoning into a great FH disc for woods shots. I don't see any descriptions coming from players that the instinct can replicate that. Everyone is throwing them like a straight PD.

If you kick the PD out for the instinct and the DD is going OOP than I don't see the OS slot being filled.

Overall I think the partnership has potential but I am not excited to try any of the molds being released this year, despite all the hype surrounding them.

Felt one of these up yesterday and the plastic feels nice, kinda champystar. Pricey at $19.99 at a local shop.

Same flight numbers as the new FD2 but sounds a bit more stable from the reviews. More dome than I prefer, gonna pass on trying this one since I have beat S-PDs and a couple of Roaming Thunders I'm trying to love.

May 2nd release... How were they for sale already?

I'd more think that the PD is the FD2's big brother. At least comparing the Dark Maul to the Royal Rage...Similar feel, similar flight with the PD being faster and slightly more OS.

...I am not excited to try any of the molds being released this year, despite all the hype surrounding them.

You should really try the FD2. REALLY nice disc. It really reminded me of the original CE TLs. Very straight with minimal power. (I throw 500'+ and thew it dead straight 350' with ~60% power.) I wish I could throw it more, but I broke the tip of my middle finger on my throwing hand. Trying to throw = OOOOOOUUUCHHH...:wall:

I'd more think that the PD is the FD2's big brother. At least comparing the Dark Maul to the Royal Rage...Similar feel, similar flight with the PD being faster and slightly more OS.

Eh FD2 has more high speed turn than a C PD. I could maybe agree if you were saying a beat in S line PD. The instinct is much more the little brother to the PD IMO.

For me, the color glow PDs' flights are quite similar to the FD2s, just faster with more fade. Granted, I broke my finger and couldn't test it extensively, but I didn't see too much turn out of the FD2. My opinion may change once I get a bunch of throws in, though. (FYI, I max out at 475' or so of golf d, so not quite as much as you. My longest was near 600', thrown for golf d, not all out d.)