• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Evolution Instinct

The mystery disc from 3rd boxes is a Lux Instinct. People say stiffer and more grip. Sounds just what I would want vs the Neo plastic.

So "Lux" is like the Opto-x plastic? ( Lucid-x ) . . Trilogy "luster" type plastic

Only problem is to find a nice 17mm stable to OS disc. . i have tryed the Teebird, Explorer, and FD2, the first two has a super sharp underside of the Rim. . hate that. . and the FD2 was not really that stable.

Need to try the Instinct, the new FD2 and maybe a Rival

Between the Instinct, the FD2v3, and the Rival, the Instinct has by far the most HSS. I've thrown a fair number of rivals in a fair number of plastics. Even my gunmetal legend rival is less OS than a fresh star teebird. The new FD2 flies like a beat up, glidey eagle. Definite drift during the high speed part of flight, but a reliable fade at low speed. It has great distance potential because of the glide, not what I would call especially OS. For me, the instinct is a little more OS than an explorer, but not as OS as say, a Brinster Teebird, Ten Time KJ Teebird, or similar beefy runs.

So "Lux" is like the Opto-x plastic? ( Lucid-x ) . . Trilogy "luster" type plastic

No, It's more a new nice Gold plastic. I love it but expect it to beat in faster than the Neo.
Not to disappoint you but the Instinct also rocks the Teebird rim, very close to the FR Explorer (best run alongside Decodye).

Looks like they're making a Glimmer-X Instinct for the mystery boxes this year.

I'm a little late to this party, but holy crap these things go far. Wish I would've tried one sooner. I'm not sure if it will kick my TL3s out of the bag, but I have been having fun with them.

So I picked one of these up yesterday after reading this thread and man I think I'm in love. It glides for days it seems like. What surprised me the most was how well it worked on a FH. Thrown with a bit of hyzer and just pops up and rides straight with a nice mellow finish. This is going to be a really versatile for me.

Surprised to see this thread hasn't been bumped in 6 months...

So who all grabbed a RR2?

I did not
now I could put that down to the (for me) questionable artwork (but that is solved by acetone)

but the answer would more honestly be that I can't really see a need for it in my bag.

I use a regular Neo Instinct and it's nice and straight with a little fade.
And I use the Meta for a bit more HSS

My assumption, based on the type of plastic, is that these may be slightly less HSS than the Neo (that could be a wildly wrong assumption) and I don't have a need for a notch less HSS in my Instinct

that's probably a function of where I am and the courses that I play

more wooded technical courses and maybe the RR2 would be a bigger consideration for me

i had to pick one up, gave my last one to my nephew and its in vapor plastic. Ive been trying to find a replacement for my fd2 and i'll try this for a while.

It already shipped, so i guess we'll see what it looks like next week

i had to pick one up, gave my last one to my nephew and its in vapor plastic. Ive been trying to find a replacement for my fd2 and i'll try this for a while.

It already shipped, so i guess we'll see what it looks like next week

I picked up one and threw it yesterday. It flies more like a TL3 vs FD2. It was no where near as stable for me and even had a little turn in the flight.

I picked up a Forge (metal flake) Instinct in the black mystery box. It is laser straight with almost no fade on a golf line. I thought it would have at least the 2 fade because of the plastic. This is my only experience, and haven't thrown any other plastics. Thrown higher, I see some fade, but tunnel-shot and medium clearance, it's point and shoot.

Instinct

I know this mold has been around awhile, but yesterday was my first time throwing one.

Neo plastic, 171g. Disc is fairly flat, flatter than I'm used to for a fairway driver.

Very good performer. From the first throw I was able to throw the Instinct well. Comparable to an Explorer or Evader. Just a super neutral fairway driver. Decent glide without being too floaty. I did notice a smidge of high speed turn on hard shots, but the Instinct is not at all flippy. Max distance was about 375', and I was able to do it accurately multiple times. Fade was prolonged, gradual, and elegant. Nothing harsh/dumpy.

For anyone who throws Discmania, the Instinct is probably a staple of your bag. It's a disc anyone can throw.

Instinct: 7, 5, -0.5, 2. The only number I changed here versus the given numbers was high speed turn. The Instinct will turn slightly when thrown hard and flat. Very solid performer, and I liked the Instinct immediately.

Instinct is fish food… I'm trying to decide if I need to replace it. I had it out of the bag and wanted something just a bit more stable than the FD, so it went back in. The wind off the lake wasn't noticeable at all from the tee.

I can't get near as much distance with the FD3, so will probably keep throwing the PD where I might want the Instinct. Or I might pick up another. IDK.

Attachments

• D221BEF6-2D82-4700-89DE-8A208DBB5CA8.jpg
    D221BEF6-2D82-4700-89DE-8A208DBB5CA8.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 20
Lol. Instincts might share similar flight numbers to something like a Teebird but they are definitely straighter than the numbers and the couple I've bagged didn't play well in the wind. Good riddance I say.

I have a couple of Forge. They are considerably straighter vs a fresh Neo. Decent glide. Neo has better HSS and LSS in my experience. Forge has just a little more dome. The two complement each other well.

I really like the Lux. The RR2s are also very nice. Between those 2 I never really spent much time with the Forge I got from mystery boxes, save for a couple field throws.