• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Prototype January 2016 (DDX)

I am picking up two today around 168ish. I threw a friends once last week and the plastic shape/feel is what drove me to buy. It flew very similar to the 167 champ tern I just started using. I love the tern but the stars/gstars I have tried were unpredictable and I just can't grip the champ very well sometimes, especially if it's wet out. I will play around with mine at dubs tonight and report back.

I like the disc. I agree that it's a stable tern. Flips up, turns without off tracking too much, then finishes. However, the shallow tern rim coupled with this shiny, slick, star plastic is a bit aggravating. It flies very similar to a new pro destroyer, but lacks grip. I think it'd fly 20% further if it wasn't slick.

I like the disc. I agree that it's a stable tern. Flips up, turns without off tracking too much, then finishes. However, the shallow tern rim coupled with this shiny, slick, star plastic is a bit aggravating. It flies very similar to a new pro destroyer, but lacks grip. I think it'd fly 20% further if it wasn't slick.

I've found that washing with dish soap gives most discs a bit more grip.

Just got my order from MarshallStreet in today, which contained one pink 167g S-Line DDX. Was able to get out and throw it earlier this afternoon, and the jury is still out.

Wasn't quite as flippy as I was expecting. It had some high speed turn for sure, but not all that much. And once it slowed down, it faded pretty strong. I was hoping I could possibly replace one of my seasoned Destroyer's with this disc, but I'm not sure if it will fit the bill. FWIW I throw my Destoryer's consistently 400-425ft, and every now and then if I hit everything perfect, i'll get one out to 450ft.

The DDX doesn't have as much turn as my seasoned Destroyer's do, and once it slows down it fades much harder. Because of this, I wasn't throwing it as far as my Destroyer's. I really feel like it's the strong fade that is hurting my distance with the disc.

Had a little bit of wind, maybe 10mph, and the DDX didn't really like it. It had a lot more turn in the 10mph headwind than it did in calm conditions, with me having to release with a bit of hyzer to keep it from flipping pretty hard.

I plan on keeping it in the bag for now to continue to work with it, and may possibly try to pick up a C-line when they become available.

Just got my order from MarshallStreet in today, which contained one pink 167g S-Line DDX. Was able to get out and throw it earlier this afternoon, and the jury is still out.

Wasn't quite as flippy as I was expecting. It had some high speed turn for sure, but not all that much. And once it slowed down, it faded pretty strong. I was hoping I could possibly replace one of my seasoned Destroyer's with this disc, but I'm not sure if it will fit the bill. FWIW I throw my Destoryer's consistently 400-425ft, and every now and then if I hit everything perfect, i'll get one out to 450ft.

The DDX doesn't have as much turn as my seasoned Destroyer's do, and once it slows down it fades much harder. Because of this, I wasn't throwing it as far as my Destroyer's. I really feel like it's the strong fade that is hurting my distance with the disc.

Had a little bit of wind, maybe 10mph, and the DDX didn't really like it. It had a lot more turn in the 10mph headwind than it did in calm conditions, with me having to release with a bit of hyzer to keep it from flipping pretty hard.

I plan on keeping it in the bag for now to continue to work with it, and may possibly try to pick up a C-line when they become available.
At least it isn't just me. I also noticed that when this disc slows down... it DUMPS. Might be the way I am throwing it? But it seems to just drop out pretty fast as it slows down.

At least it isn't just me. I also noticed that when this disc slows down... it DUMPS. Might be the way I am throwing it? But it seems to just drop out pretty fast as it slows down.

I've got a 456' hole at my local course, that has OB the entire right side of the fairway. In order for me to reach the pin, I need a full S turn flight from my Destroyers to go the distance. Because of this, I run the risk of turning my drive over too much and not having it come back in bounds. I was hoping the strong fade of the DDX, combined with the high speed turn would have been the perfect disc for that hole. But unfortunately the strong fade that brings the disc back in bounds, is also hurting the overall distance. When the DDX slows down, it really dumps and fades hard.

I'll hopefully get some more throws in with it this afternoon.

Keep working on beating it in. After a bit of time the fade gradually becomes less dumpy, and more forward, but it still finishes reliably. It'll also develop the high speed turn you're looking for pretty quickly too. I've been throwing second shots with both my MF and S-Line on any hole I can just to accelerate the beat in process and they're seasoning nicely. :thmbup:

I've got a 456' hole at my local course, that has OB the entire right side of the fairway. In order for me to reach the pin, I need a full S turn flight from my Destroyers to go the distance. Because of this, I run the risk of turning my drive over too much and not having it come back in bounds. I was hoping the strong fade of the DDX, combined with the high speed turn would have been the perfect disc for that hole. But unfortunately the strong fade that brings the disc back in bounds, is also hurting the overall distance. When the DDX slows down, it really dumps and fades hard.

its got a PD2 top! its gots to have some characteristics from its parentage!

we are throwing a little under 100 holes next weekend and I set up my bag so that the slower discs are all the udual suspects but the drivers (minus the one firebird for beef) are only the newcomers S-Cd2 and S-DDxs. Also S-PDX if they get here soon enough. That way I can get a ton of throws in for both testing and beating them in

My DDx arrived in the mail, and the rim is just too shallow and tilted for my fingers, never threw it, just listed it online and it sold in less than an hour !

I have been throwing discs long enough to know this mold was not going to work for me so no reason to go out and get it scuffed up, it will do better with someone who has hands the size of a fourth grader.

My DDx arrived in the mail, and the rim is just too shallow and tilted for my fingers, never threw it, just listed it online and it sold in less than an hour !

I have been throwing discs long enough to know this mold was not going to work for me so no reason to go out and get it scuffed up, it will do better with someone who has hands the size of a fourth grader.

I like to throw terns, so, after reading this, I dug out the gloves I used to wear in the fourth grade. Too small Tom.

"If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!"

I am still working with mine and it will just take some time, I think. I have never had this type of flight pattern in a disc this fast. In the past, I would throw the Tern and that sucker wouldn't finish very hard because, well, it just wasn't that stable. Once I get one a bit more seasoned and dialed in, I think it will fly great!

Hopefully these lose their fade at a higher rate than losing high speed stability. If they could lose fade at a 2:1 ratio compared to their high speed stability, these will become bombers once they get seasoned.

Mine just came in. I have owned very few Discmania discs, so I am not very familiar with the characteristics, but this one definitely has that sharp hook to the top. We will see. Got a Pro-Tern in too. Will be interesting to see the differences.

So far it doesn't seem like people are "ooooo-ing and ahhhh-ing" over this disc yet. Basically its a more stable finishing Tern? That seems to be the consensus. I'm a Tern fan and I was looking for a slightly more stable option to be my go-to bomber.
For now I am using a D3, King, or Trespass, but the trespass isn't quite as big of a driver, though its accurate. I really was hoping to get a DDX and plop it in the bag. Still waiting for a good review. anybody do some fieldwork with it?
Report back ;)

Hopefully these lose their fade at a higher rate than losing high speed stability. If they could lose fade at a 2:1 ratio compared to their high speed stability, these will become bombers once they get seasoned.

If this is what you're wanting, is a Tern not the answer? Is the DDX that much more high speed stable? I've been interested in the DDX but if the fade is that much more significant with marginally better HSS, I will probably pass on them and just stick with Terns.