• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Discontinued Innova Discs?

There is at least one thread out there about how discs of the same mold in different plastic are slightly different diameter because of condensing differently when cooling. If I was better at the interwebs I would link it. Basically the conclusion is that the cheaper a plastic is the larger diameter the disc will be because it condenses less when it cools, and since Star is a mix of Champ and Pro it actually ends up being slightly larger diameter than Champ.

I am, however, willing to admit that the different feeling in my hand could just be all in my head or due to the difference in dominess. But I still like Star best.

The cooling process totally has an effect on the final disc diameter, dome, etc. Different plastics cool faster/slower and so there can be differences in size, etc.
But in the end, the differences are going to be very small.
I think the real difference will be the fact that Champ starts out more stable and breaks in slower while Star beats in somewhat quicker.

Nonsense

not only are they not oop, I have seen echo star leopards lately too. I think that makes them currently available in 6 plastics;
Champ
Star
Echo Star
DX
Pro

cfr champ glow

I thought that Innova's plastic is mixtures of Champion and DX plastic, not champ and pro. Star=more champ, less dx. Pro=more dx, less champ? Maybe I'm wrong?!?

I thought that Innova's plastic is mixtures of Champion and DX plastic, not champ and pro. Star=more champ, less dx. Pro=more dx, less champ? Maybe I'm wrong?!?

I don't think it works exactly like that. I think each plastic has it's own particular mix, and while it might be similar to another line of plastic, I think they have their own recipes.

It was always speculation as far as I know that "pro" and "champ" blends make up Star. As for what makes up the Pro plastic who knows. As far as I've heard the DX, Pro, and Champ are all single plastics. Star is the only "blend." Well, Echo is blended recycled plastic, lol.

There is at least one thread out there about how discs of the same mold in different plastic are slightly different diameter because of condensing differently when cooling. If I was better at the interwebs I would link it. Basically the conclusion is that the cheaper a plastic is the larger diameter the disc will be because it condenses less when it cools, and since Star is a mix of Champ and Pro it actually ends up being slightly larger diameter than Champ.

I am, however, willing to admit that the different feeling in my hand could just be all in my head or due to the difference in dominess. But I still like Star best.
It's the other way around. Cheaper plastics will shrink out of the mold more than the denser plastics. The denser plastics like Z and Champ will have slightly larger diameters and blunter noses in general than a Pro-D or DX version of the same mold. It's just a general guideline, though. It's the cooling process, and there are not a lot of control factors in disc golf factories when it comes to the cooling process. By "not a lot" I mean none.

Christy got an Echo Star leopard with her last tourney bucks, if you are a leo fan and don't have one I highly suggest getting one.

Will ess really well, will come back from slight anny lines, will hold heavier anny lines...it is like they took a pro, champ and star and made it one disc with the positive characteristics of each.

Nonsense

not only are they not oop, I have seen echo star leopards lately too. I think that makes them currently available in 6 plastics;
Champ
Star
Echo Star
DX
Pro
cfr champ glow

There are quite a few Innova discs that I could see getting disco'd, and probably a few that just should be, but for sure the Leopard is not one of them.

What are the best selling Innova discs?

Roc
Aviar
Leopard
Valk

i remember going to a clinic held by jay yeti reading and he took a large chunk of it explaining how everything from the temperature and humidity at the factory, the plastic mix itself (we've all had experience with different runs of innova discs) and even time of day affects how a disc comes out. remember, these discs we love and throw are petroleum/oil based products.

Latest posts