• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Great Lakes Open - May 31st - June 2nd

Looks like there is supposed to be a few good storms Friday and Saturday, anyone have any idea how this would affect the tournament this weekend?

Looks like there is supposed to be a few good storms Friday and Saturday, anyone have any idea how this would affect the tournament this weekend?

I believe that the Pontiac Silverdome is available if any inclement weather rolls through.

Gonna be a challenge to get so many folks around that course in the event of foul weather. Long days ahead even if skies are sunny and there's no wind.

Im probably running down right after work at 4 or 430 and I'm going to play a few before the clinic.....hopefully

Wet conditions could make parts of that course particularly difficult because of alll the elevation changes. Not too big an issue off the tee, but it's hard to get the footing you need to put some "ooomph" behind a shot when you're throwing from a wet, grassy, uphill/downhill lie...could make throwing a good tee shot even more important. Also, windy conditions could make things intersting, and might even give a competitive advantage to those who compensate better -course definitely favors those who can bomb with some degree of accuracy. Long distance bombs = more time for wind to work on your disc.

Side note: I'm sure these pros won't be throwing in all the nasty rough so much, but with all the spotters, I think they're getting away kinda easy. One of the things that makes the Toboggan such a challenge is just how nasty the rough can be and how tough it is to watch your disc down on some of those long tee shots.

Last edited:
this course is very difficult in the rain. i played the usadgc in 2011 when it downpoured for the vast majority of our round. that round took 5.5 hours and was probably the least enjoyable round of disc golf I've ever played.

what do the discs they're selling usually got for, need to know how much cash to bring...or do they take the card.....

How often do they delay or push a round to the next day? Figure they might not get to much playing time in if the weather forecast is right, lots of thunderstorms and such.

Really a shame if the weather's gonna suck the entire weekend - such a great opportunity for this phenomenal course to shine on a stage of this magnitude would go to waste. Crossing my fingers this will clear up, but the forecast for Fri & Sat looks pretty crappy, but Sun looks like it might be decent. :\
:popcorn:

Friday has started out clear and bright. We'll see how long that lasts. Off to the course in an hour or so to capture some footage for PDGA.com, for a story on early round action. Look for that late this evening or early Sat. morning. Lots of folks to get through that course in a day, foul weather will make the day go crazy long. Sherpas will be getting big tips if the weather gets dicey, having a good man on duty to keep things focused and dry is going to be important for many.

Joe

How late do they usually play? I was thinking about stopping by after work but if they're going to be done theres no point.....I didn't work from home today so I have to get there from Warren

The last open card tees off at 11:20am. Not sure how quick the rounds will go.

Even say the round takes 5 hours, still they're done before I'm there.....I should see enough tomorrow, though I'll be spotting..I think, so I won't be able to follow people around....

Maybe you'll get a rain delay :D

I really wish this was being televised right now.

Latest posts