• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Throwable Speed 12 in the Works?

Earic02

Par Member

From Discraft's Facebook page:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Q of the D: considering super fast, wide-rimmed distance drivers like Nuke and Force, choose your #1 opinion:

I love them!

PDGA should allow wider -- thus faster -- rims

Not a fan, too difficult to control

Not a fan, too difficult to grip

I use them occasionally, they're ok.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Speculation:

A major complaint from a good number of players is that the Nuke rim size is too big and uncomfortable to grip.

(I used to think this until I found a very beat ESP Nuke at PIAS. It's a hyzer-flip bomb machine, but you knew that.)

I've often thought Discraft should / will go after Innova's Destroyer for its combination of speed, distance, throwability, and (most importantly?) rim / grip size.

Of course, Force is a speed 12, but is not backhand "throwable" by most Ams and people not named Nate Doss, especially in Z plastic.

A throwable speed 12 driver would fill the speed / distance gap between Surge (11) and Nuke (13). They won't call it Nuke Jr., but that's kind of the idea, I would imagine. Most likely, they'll call it Warhead, Rocket, Bomb, Bomb, Bomber, etc. to fit with Nuke.

It's only a matter of time.. Maybe..

Last edited:
I don't know what your talking about, a Force is very back hand throwable, even in Z plastic. It's supposed to be an overstable, long bomber. It does exactly what it's supposed to do. I don't think that they need to make a disc that is speed 12 that throws like a Surge. That would just complicate their line up. If anything, the one place Discraft falls behind is in the fairway line up. They need to come out with some discs that fly like Leopards, Teebirds, Eagles, etc. If they focus their efforts there, I think they would come out with a line up of discs that is rock solid. Their mid line up is awesome, their max distance line up is awesome, their putter line up is pretty solid.

^ I meant throwable by those with 300 ft or less power, like me.

(For my standards: )
I can bomb a pro destroyer / beat star. I can bomb an ESP Nuke.

I don't even try to throw a Z Force backhand unless I need it for wind or hyzer purposes.

I think if Discraft offered X Force's, they'd fly just like a Pro Destroyer. I will admit, a Pro Destroyer is a bombing monster.

I don't even try to throw a Z Force backhand unless I need it for wind or hyzer purposes.

Why do you need a 12 speed driver with less than 300 feet of power?

^That's the age-old debate.

X / ESP Nukes allow me to throw 300, as do Pro Destroyers.

Yes, I should be able to throw a fairway driver 300, but I can't yet.

winner winner chicken dinner
If you're throwing 300 with Destroyers/beat Nukes I bet you could throw just as far with TL, Saint, River, XL, etc
I throw around 350 & don't throw anything BH faster than speed 9. But that's me. But I still bet you could throw speed 7-9 as far as your speed 12+

^That's the age-old debate.

X / ESP Nukes allow me to throw 300, as do Pro Destroyers.

Yes, I should be able to throw a fairway driver 300, but I can't yet.

Bet you could if you worked with slower stuff. I made my biggest gains, 280/300 up to around 350 when i dropped everything fast & only threw Teebirds, Eagles, & Leopards for about 6 months

winner winner chicken dinner
If you're throwing 300 with Destroyers/beat Nukes I bet you could throw just as far with TL, Saint, River, XL, etc
I throw around 350 & don't throw anything BH faster than speed 9. But that's me. But I still bet you could throw speed 7-9 as far as your speed 12+

You're right, but there's something about that nice comfortable thick rim that just feels like an effing bomb....

Ideally, I should get an XL to 300 and then push a Nuke to 325, 350....

I'm working on that..

Last edited:
I think realistically the XL should be 350 before you start throwing the Nuke! But then again, DG is an awesome way to have fun. If you're having fun with what you throw, I don't see the need to change. I simply quit throwing Destroyers, Forces, Cannon, whatever else becuase it was going the same D as my Valks (now Saints). But again, I think you should throw what you want, not what the internet says you should

Indeed. By "I can bomb a beat ESP Nuke" do you mean you can get a Nuke out to 300'? Maybe I don't understand the original post.

I find super wide rimmed discs uncomfortable and not useful for my level of power, but that doesn't mean discraft shouldn't make them. Some people can bomb them, but I have tried and failed.

If you are looking for a "throwable" high speed driver from discraft you should maybe try an Avenger. I think Elite X's are still in production. If not, they're not hard to find. The rim is smaller than a Wraith, but the disc flies fast and somewhat overstable, but isn't a meathook.

Avenger/Avenger SS combo is pretty much all I need for high speed if I'm on a really open course. The SS is useful for long turnovers, but honestly I use a Saint/River combo with much more consistent results. I'm at 350-400' of power depending on the line, FWIW.

Dropping 300ft bombs:clap::clap::clap:

Indeed. By "I can bomb a beat ESP Nuke" do you mean you can get a Nuke out to 300'? Maybe I don't understand the original post.

I find super wide rimmed discs uncomfortable and not useful for my level of power, but that doesn't mean discraft shouldn't make them. Some people can bomb them, but I have tried and failed.

If you are looking for a "throwable" high speed driver from discraft you should maybe try an Avenger. I think Elite X's are still in production. If not, they're not hard to find. The rim is smaller than a Wraith, but the disc flies fast and somewhat overstable, but isn't a meathook.

Avenger/Avenger SS combo is pretty much all I need for high speed if I'm on a really open course. The SS is useful for long turnovers, but honestly I use a Saint/River combo with much more consistent results. I'm at 350-400' of power depending on the line, FWIW.

Note:
For my lack of form, 300 or more is a bomb for me. I'm just now understanding nose down and "body over the disc" hyzer flips rather than sweep hyzers after 2 years...

I'm not looking for anything, just trying to predict what Discraft might come out with in the near future.

Just speculating, that's all.

I don't even "want" a speed 12, really. I just like predicting things, that's all.

I don't know what your talking about, a Force is very back hand throwable, even in Z plastic. It's supposed to be an overstable, long bomber. It does exactly what it's supposed to do. I don't think that they need to make a disc that is speed 12 that throws like a Surge. That would just complicate their line up. If anything, the one place Discraft falls behind is in the fairway line up. They need to come out with some discs that fly like Leopards, Teebirds, Eagles, etc. If they focus their efforts there, I think they would come out with a line up of discs that is rock solid. Their mid line up is awesome, their max distance line up is awesome, their putter line up is pretty solid.

IMHO, they just did this with the 2012 AR disc. Next to my Buzzz, best Discraft disc.

They need to come out with some discs that fly like Leopards, Teebirds, Eagles, etc.
Oddly enough, they have or have had discs similar to all three of those. They apparently didn't sell well enough for them. The X-Press is pretty close to a Leopard. The X2 was the closest anyone has come to another Teebird and the Talon was similar to a Eagle.

IMHO, they just did this with the 2012 AR disc. Next to my Buzzz, best Discraft disc.

Plus the XL, Cyclone, Stratus, Stalker, Xpress. I think their fd's are pretty solid, but people like to go on and on about how they don't have a good one. It gets old. Stratus is a very underrated disc IMHO.