• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs Thrown At Varied Altitudes Videos

Rucker61

Does anyone know of any videos that show the same disc(s) being thrown at different altitudes to show the differences in flight paths? I live at 5k' and I'm traveling to NoCal next month, and just wanted to get an idea of the differences visually.

I don't have a video but recently moved from Colorado to California and can give you some first hand experience. Discs do fly a little more understable down here but it isn't a huge difference. I feel the difference of going from 5000 to 10000 when playing the mountain courses in Colorado was more extreme than the differences coming down to sea level.

The biggest difference that I noticed was in my slightly understable discs. The ones that in Colorado I could throw on a nice S curve. These ones at sea level will turn but they will no longer want to fade.

Overstable discs are a little different. They will still fly overstable, but they may push forward another 20-30 ft before they fade and the fade won't be as sharp.

Putting is suprisingly easier. The thicker atmosphere at lower elevations seems to help keep the disc in the air longer and straighter.

Hope this helps.

That would be nice to see. I live at 15K feet and frequently play at 52K. I know my discs fly differently, so I use different stabilities for each elevation. But, I don't have a video of the different flights, nor do I know of one.

I have been told and read this (below), but that still doesn't really let me know HOW a disc will fly at each elevation - how much does the stability change? That would be a great video and I'm hoping someone knows of one.

Primarily, discs tend to become more stable at higher altitudes (and consequently lower air pressure): they turn less in the initial part of their flight and fade more late. But why?

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2021...-altitude-will-affect-discs-flight-at-worlds/

That would be nice to see. I live at 15K feet and frequently play at 52K. I know my discs fly differently, so I use different stabilities for each elevation. But, I don't have a video of the different flights, nor do I know of one.

I have been told and read this (below), but that still doesn't really let me know HOW a disc will fly at each elevation - how much does the stability change? That would be a great video and I'm hoping someone knows of one.

Primarily, discs tend to become more stable at higher altitudes (and consequently lower air pressure): they turn less in the initial part of their flight and fade more late. But why?

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2021...-altitude-will-affect-discs-flight-at-worlds/

Please do a review of this dg course at 52k. J/K

Are you saying that you live at 15 thousand feet and play at 52 thousand feet? Do you live on Denali, but play golf on Olympus Mons sometimes?

Playing dg on a 747 at cruising altitude?

guessing he meant 1.5k and 5.2k?

What happened to my post? I did a follow-up when I saw pearlybakerbest's post and I did actually see the reply. Now it's gone.

Anyways....yes, I should have reviewed my post better. 1500ish and 5200ish. I really gotta learn how to use the "K" properly.

I really have an appropriate Signature Block right now....

What happened to my post? I did a follow-up when I saw pearlybakerbest's post and I did actually see the reply. Now it's gone.

Anyways....yes, I should have reviewed my post better. 1500ish and 5200ish. I really gotta learn how to use the "K" properly.

I really have an appropriate Signature Block right now....

We all do that from time to time. My great-grandfather's line was: "Listen to what a Dutchman means, not what he says." Adjust county of origin as needed.

All I know for sure is altitude definitely affects the flight of the disc.

Played with a guy from Oklahoma (or Texas?) and he kept repeatedly throwing these hyzers that would finish OB on the left. I saw him looking a little perplexed after about the third one. When I asked why he kept throwing those shots he replied something about that being the flippiest disc in his bag and that it always pops up and goes straight. I just chuckled.

Does anyone know of any videos that show the same disc(s) being thrown at different altitudes to show the differences in flight paths? I live at 5k' and I'm traveling to NoCal next month, and just wanted to get an idea of the differences visually.

NorCal ranges from sea level to 14,000 feet. Will you be going up or down in altitude? :)

Played with a guy from Oklahoma (or Texas?) and he kept repeatedly throwing these hyzers that would finish OB on the left. I saw him looking a little perplexed after about the third one. When I asked why he kept throwing those shots he replied something about that being the flippiest disc in his bag and that it always pops up and goes straight. I just chuckled.

I resemble this remark. Man, I threw a ton of flex shots with normally understable discs in the mountains. :D

My experience in going from near sea level to playing mountain courses was that every disc in my bag flew a notch more stable. So my understable fairway driver became my stable fairway driver, etc.

If you are going from 5K down to sea level you may want to add a disc or two that is one notch more stable than what you currently carry. Or just put more hyzer on your normal discs. Adapting to local conditions can be fun.

Hope that helps.

Live at 4,800'. Consistently play at 7,500'ish. Highest is 10,500'.

I hate going down to sea level. I can't get anything to come back. Everyone that talks about flippy discs stabling up, its the opposite when you go down. OS discs get flippy. Went to GBO my first time, took 12 OB strokes I couldn't get anything to come back left. (RHBH)

Discs on the list to bring:

Champion Firebird
River Pro
Star Teebird
Discmania Evo Method
Westside Harp Soft
Star Aviarx3
R-Pro Pig
K3 Berg

Santa Rosa? Taylor Mountain is a fun course but it is definetly worth the drive down to Novato to play Stafford Lake. Great Course.

Our first priority is Golden Gate, during the week to avoid the crowds. We'll look into the more local courses, too, depending on how my wife's knee holds up.

It's interesting... I always felt people really dramatize the differences. I would go from where I lived at 6K down to 1K when I was out in California - and it seemed like the difference in stability was basically the same as the difference between a new mold and a seasoned mold. It never took much adjustment for me.

Then again I also shot 70 points below my rating at the time the one time I went to play a tournament down near sea level that year.... so what the hell do I know?

Last edited:

It doesn't appear anyone here has access to a video like you asked about. Might I suggest you make one? Take some video of you throwing a few different discs in CO before your trip and throw the same ones at lower elevation in CA. I think at least a few of us would find the comparison interesting.

Yeah I'd be in to see a video... first time I played at altitude it kicked my butt. All my stable discs that I lean on became OS. There was also added distance to what I was used to so that didn't help. I ended up using my "turnover" avenger SS for a significant part of the round. It became my go to straight driver, usually at sea level it was a twice a round disc.

It wouldn't have been as hard to compensate for if I had a better mixed bag in the understable end... that was also compounded accidentally by bagging a few fresh replacements that I was less attached to in case I lost em. You know like a fresh 174 esp comet instead of my beloved LE ESP 172. Haha.

Our first priority is Golden Gate, during the week to avoid the crowds. We'll look into the more local courses, too, depending on how my wife's knee holds up.

I used to live in San Francisco and play GGP weekly. Really fun course. You said that you are going next month? Just a heads up, the course closes for the Outside Lands Music Festival which is the last weekend in October this year.

Regarding your wife's knee. Stafford may not be the best course, it is long, lots of elevation change and a bit rougher than other courses in the area. Could be tough on her knee.