• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Aid Legal?

zud00

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I was recently playing a tournament (Bowling Green AMs) and on one hole, a player on my card offered to get his range finder out to help determine the distance for another player. I don't think he used it any other times during the round, not even sure if he used it at that moment.

I know most of us have a good idea on general distance, but there are times when it is difficult to judge and having the correct distance could be an advantage.

Are Range Finders and/or any other distance aids legal or illegal when it comes to tournament play? What are your thoughts?

*Edit*
This should probably be in the Rules section, Admin please feel free to relocate it if necessary.

Thanks, sorry for the ingorance

For a long time they weren't. The PDGA took the stance that they couldn't be afforded by all players providing a unique advantage to a few. Personally, if I were thinking about distance with a range finder, I'd probably bemissing more important things about the hole.

Rangefinders are legal, but they used to not be. When the PDGA updated rules in 2013 they removed GPS Rangefinders from the "Artificial Devices" section of disallowed equipment

Thanks for the responses. I have no intentions of buying one or using, and I had never seen anyone use one until a few weeks ago. I do think they would come in handy for longer holes that would require 2 or 3 good drives to get to the basket.

Thanks for the responses. I have no intentions of buying one or using, and I had never seen anyone use one until a few weeks ago. I do think they would come in handy for longer holes that would require 2 or 3 good drives to get to the basket.

Especially if it is a course that you are playing for the first time...for those that travel for lots of events and can't get in a practice round they can be a big help.

Personally, if I were thinking about distance with a range finder, I'd probably bemissing more important things about the hole.

Unless you weren't. I carry one and find it very useful on courses that I have never played before and that have ambiguous or otherwise poor/absent tee signs. The difference between a 260 hole and a 310' hole is significant for me off the tee and I have played many holes where the tee signs don't make it apparent which position the basket is in but have this type of distance difference between the two basket positions.

Of course, if you're pulling it out in a tourney because you haven't played the course before, you probably should have done better homework. But that doesn't make knowing the approximate distance any less important.