• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Between Holes

nosajeel99

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Hey everyone. I am in the midst of *thinking about* proposing a disc golf course in my hometown. We have lots of park space and I think could have some really nice holes. The problem from what I have seen so far (walking through the park trails, looking at the park maps, looking at google maps, etc) is that it seems like some of the holes would have quite a walk between them.

My question is, "how far is too far?" The scenery is nice for a stroll, but sometimes having the next tee pad in sight of the basket is great. I don't want people to get bored walking from one hole to the next. Obviously we would need signs to point the way to the next tee.

This is in the very early preliminary stages and this post is the first 'public' announcement that I am thinking about a putting in a course (aside from mentioning it to my wife). If I think this can work, then I will try to bring more people on board. Thanks for any input.

When you finish a hole I think you should be able to see the next tee unless it's in the woods and down a path or something. I'd say 300 feet is about as far as I would want to walk between holes. And I wouldn't want to do that very often.

Certainly closer is better in general,but a long walk is ok if it improves the overall design. Just don't do it on many holes and make sure it is clear how to get to the next hole.

I used Gmaps Pedometer and did some math to figure out the walkouts at my home course. I measured the way that is usually walked between the basket to the next teepad.

Greenway DGC
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2569

Hole 1 to Hole 2: ~385 ft
Hole 2 to Hole 3: ~240 ft
Hole 3 to Hole 4: ~470 ft
Hole 4 to Hole 5: ~290 ft
Hole 5 to Hole 6: ~205 ft
Hole 6 to Hole 7: ~75 ft
Hole 7 to Hole 8: ~725 ft
Hole 8 to Hole 9: ~235 ft
Hole 9 to Hole 1: ~755 ft

It is a very flat park so I don't mind the walkouts very much at all. I don't think I've ever heard a complaint and besides, a disc golf course is better than not having a course at all. I actually kinda like the walkouts because it gives a minute to talk to the people you're playing with without yelling across the hole or being quiet while people are throwing.

I hope this helps. :cool:

I agree with the fact that the distance to the next tee is no real big deal, as long as it is marked clearly. I would hate for a course's design to suffer just to keep things close.

I don't really mind how far the next tee is, as long as there is a clear, obvious marker on how to get there. If there's one thing that drives me nuts it's walking around trying to find the next hole.

I would not want to ruin the flow of the course just to have a short walk or a long one. Having them them close to the baskets can be dangerous and to many that are over about 50 yards can be annoying also. If the course flows naturally than I truly believe no one would care.

Clear signs

I don't really mind how far the next tee is, as long as there is a clear, obvious marker on how to get there. If there's one thing that drives me nuts it's walking around trying to find the next hole.

Walking is part of the game. As long as I know I am going in the right direction that is ok. If I just wander around lost for 5 minutes, then something is wrong.

I used Gmaps Pedometer and did some math to figure out the walkouts at my home course. I measured the way that is usually walked between the basket to the next teepad.

Greenway DGC
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2569

Hole 1 to Hole 2: ~385 ft
Hole 2 to Hole 3: ~240 ft
Hole 3 to Hole 4: ~470 ft
Hole 4 to Hole 5: ~290 ft
Hole 5 to Hole 6: ~205 ft
Hole 6 to Hole 7: ~75 ft
Hole 7 to Hole 8: ~725 ft
Hole 8 to Hole 9: ~235 ft
Hole 9 to Hole 1: ~755 ft

It is a very flat park so I don't mind the walkouts very much at all. I don't think I've ever heard a complaint and besides, a disc golf course is better than not having a course at all. I actually kinda like the walkouts because it gives a minute to talk to the people you're playing with without yelling across the hole or being quiet while people are throwing.

I hope this helps. :cool:
you could add another 9 hole course between those holes

im not crazy about filler holes but if the walks as long as a hole it better be for a good reason otherwise throw a basket in there i got sh** to do.

if it's going to be a filler hole, tho, too much flat in one course can get boring, unless there's plenty of trees in the way. if you're going to be walking 300+ feet in between, you might as well throw another hole in there if you can, as long as you don't get too close to any other fairways.

Walks aren't bad as long as the next tee is visible or there are signs pointing you in the right direction. However, having said that - if you're just walking in a dull field - not so cool. But I don't think people will complain when walking with some scenery. This to me is better than filler holes, but I would try to limit walks to around 100-150 meters just as a rule of thumb. You want people to enjoy the outdoors, but not get sick of it.

I wish we could do something about the long walks to the first tee at Spring Valley. Get a shuttle service or something. Thats what, half a mile to the first tee from the Pro Shop?

Stick some of those flags they use for marking utilities into the ground and walk it. How does it "feel" compared to other courses you play?

The ideal is just far enough that you won't be hit on the next teepad by someone throwing at the last basket, and no further. The best holes are something like 50-100 feet with a couple trees between the basket and the next tee.

Courses with shorter walks between baskets and tees usually flow better in my opinion. Alot of the longer walks on the courses around me are not well marked, thus the first time you play them they are hard to find. Walking around in circles just makes it that much more of a pain.

Latest posts