• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Driver for 250 foot RHFH

MikeM

* Condor Member *
I play with a buddy of mine who throws right hand forehand and only throws about 250. Anyone have an idea for a disc and weight that would help him improve his distance? Right now he is throwing a wraith and he gets a nice S curve out of it but it definitely fades quickly once it begins to slow down. His Beast turns over a little too far left and doesn't come back all of the way.

I was thinking maybe a Saint from Latitude...A little slower than a Wraith with less fade. Or a Surge SS?

Last edited:
he doesn't need a new disc he needs to work on form and snap. he isn't getting the disc up to speed that is why its fading early. when i was flick dominant i could chuck wraiths close to 400. a new disc is always the first answer but usually not the best answer.

He is 52...He isn't really interested in changing his form at this point haha :D Trust me, I've tried. So, I was hoping to find him a disc that will more suit his throwing style and hopefully get him a few more feet of distance.

Last edited:
ahhh okay maybe the new fission volt. my buddies dad about 60 is a rhfh player and was straight bombing mine the other day. i sold him mine cause i have access to more but he fell in love right away.

star tee birds are also available in laughter weights as well.

I flicked a star FL 167g on a slight anhyzer for a while that seemed to work great for me at the time and my sidearm was in that range.

Form is the key, throwing harder does not translate into more distance. I'm 53 and I found a number of discs that have worked for me.

168g or heavier Destroyer, Star
170g or heavier Bar Stamp Crush, the flatter the better
Monster L, heavier the better
Striker, worked pretty well.
Heavy Teebird

These are faster discs and may take some practice to get the throw worked out. There are loads of discs that will work but I did not have to alter my disc angle at the launch to get them to go 300 to 400 ft.

Disc down. At his distance, I bet he could get an Eagle "X" out just as far if not further with more predictable lines.

he doesn't need a new disc he needs to work on form and snap. he isn't getting the disc up to speed that is why its fading early. when i was flick dominant i could chuck wraiths close to 400. a new disc is always the first answer but usually not the best answer.

Disc down. At his distance, I bet he could get an Eagle "X" out just as far if not further with more predictable lines.

^ This and this.

He is 52...He isn't really interested in changing his form at this point haha :D Trust me, I've tried. So, I was hoping to find him a disc that will more suit his throwing style and hopefully get him a few more feet of distance.
If he's only getting 250' out of a Wraith, then the only logical direction to go is down the speed ladder, not up.

Go to your local disc shop and grab something that's lower speed but comparable in the rest of the numbers. He's clearly not getting the disc up to speed.

I was getting about 250 out of my FH with the Insanity tonight. It gives a slight turning flight, but straightens out soon after and comes back in with a gradual fade. It needs pretty clean form though, and that's something he should work on anyway.

Insanity bombs with no effort may work for him. He could also try a volt they are HSS while not being huge on fade and can hold 200ft soft flicks all the way to 350ft flicks reliably. Another suggestion from back when 300ft was about all i could do. I used to bomb the nuke ss. I know its a faster disc but do to its low stability with clean form it would fly straight for days (on a calm day). Then there is always the safe bet of a teebird cant really go wrong with those.

I don't flick much and only do it in the 275-300' range, I would say Teebird is mellow and straight but if he's sloppy it will flip over. Discmania PD is dead straight on clean flicks and has enough stability to flex out if he torques or annies it a bit. For real FH players I bet this disc is overkill for the <300' crowd, but I feel like it's a good blend of stability, speed, and forgiveness for someone who just wants to pump some flicks out there without killing themselves on an XCal/Firebird type OS disc. I also love flicking a Destroyer because the little turn gives it a bit more carry, but I realize it's actually too much disc for that distance (for both myself and your friend).

Someone mentioned a Saint, and with my low FH distance they can glide a long way, but they definitely are more touchy than the more OS and less glidey discs that have been mentioned. I wouldn't flick it during a round with my form, for example.

Last edited:
^ This and this.

If he's only getting 250' out of a Wraith, then the only logical direction to go is down the speed ladder, not up.

This.

THere is no magic disc. 250 is well within range of just throwing with oyur arm, and any disc thrown that way will fly more or less the same distance.

He could just take anything faster than midranges out of his bag. Tell him that, and maybe he will want to learn wafter that :)

I agree with the others that say to disc down and that there isn't a magical disc to get added distance. However, a champ or star Valkyrie could be a good option for discing down. If he likes the rim width of the wraith though, I would suggest a pro wraith. Once beaten in, they can get some really easy distance. With my 400' FH power, I have to cycle pro wraiths because they can get really flippy pretty quickly. The flippiness of a beat in pro wraith should increase his distance without changing molds.

I'm a 54yr old guy with an old shoulder injury who at the beginning of last year would/could only throw a FH as a get out of trouble shot to a max distance of 150'. With just a little practice and time, I can now FH every disc in my bag (putters are still a bit wobbly coming out) and I can throw my Orc 350', just about as far as backhand.

I would still recommend an Eagle "X" as I can easily hit 300' with it and it's so workable, but other discs I really like to FH are the G-Star Thunderbird, I also have a flat top Star Valkyrie that is pretty lazer straight on an annie release.

One disc that totally surprised me is my Star Leopard, power it up or down, change the angle a bit and it just goes! This has turned out to be my favorite woods FH disc.

Point being, you don't need a meat hook overstable disc to throw a FH, and I thank MikeC for proving it to me.