• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Distance Driver search?

Jbultman

Birdie Member
I've been on the hunt to find a dependable driver that I like for quite some time. I've tried D2s, Trespass, Sheriff, Defender, etc.... Currently throwing a mix of Destroyers, but I feel like there has to be something better. Either everything that I've tried have been too understable or overstable for what I'm looking for. A beat star destroyer is close or a new moonshine trespass similar.
Throwing beat Destroyers (Mcbeth Star) 420-440, Thunderbirds 400.
Suggestions? Ones to look at?
Thinking about trying the X3. How's do they compare to the Destroyers?

Love Octanes and Catalysts. Max weight Octanes cruise and have a healthy fade while 165-168's crush, while catalysts are great turnover discs.
But honestly I've found I prefer throwing slower discs because I rarely need the extra 40 or so feet

Ever try a pro destroyer? Once they wear in, woo wee do they soar...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ever try a pro destroyer? Once they wear in, woo wee do they soar...

I agree about Pro Destroyers. For those that have good armspeed, they are really excellent. I bagged one as a windy weather disc and my Pro Destroyer flies well. I freely admit I don't have the 400+ ft. armspeed for using it not-into-the-wind.

In the overall... well, at your (the OP's) armspeed, if you don't love the Destroyer or the Trespass (also an excellent disc for the more noodle-arm-'ish' among us), then you may just have to embark on a search to find what's in your sweet spot. Maybe a Champion Shryke or OS Star Katana?

I've been on the hunt to find a dependable driver that I like for quite some time. I've tried D2s, Trespass, Sheriff, Defender, etc.... Currently throwing a mix of Destroyers, but I feel like there has to be something better. Either everything that I've tried have been too understable or overstable for what I'm looking for. A beat star destroyer is close or a new moonshine trespass similar.
Throwing beat Destroyers (Mcbeth Star) 420-440, Thunderbirds 400.
Suggestions? Ones to look at?
Thinking about trying the X3. How's do they compare to the Destroyers?

Try a Punisher, a person I watch his videos on YouTube Disc Golf Nerd used those discs due to them being like a beat in or lighter weight Destroyer.

Lighter weight Destroyer is more then likely what you want for a disc, get about 4-5 grams off from the max weight that you throw in a driver disc. I like 170-172 grams as max so I got a 167 gram Champion Destroyer for my non OS disc, the OS is 170 grams. I do this with most 12 speed and up discs as 10-11 speed is about my max for throwing well at the max weight I like.

Based on your description, I'd say you need to try a Discmania DD3. The one I have is domier than most Destroyers I've ever seen, and flies magnificently. It has a little high speed turn, which it manages to hold for most of the flight. The DD3 glides great without being ridiculously floaty. I'd say it literally flies like the best Destroyer you've ever thrown. If you want to go even faster you could look at the Ballista Pro. Its a legit speed 14 bomber that caters to big arms.

Octanes aren't bad, but at 400'+ they start getting flippy. A Catalyst would be really flippy at that distance.

I've thrown an X3. Its a bit of a stubborn flier. I'd take the DD3 over it easily. DD3: 12, 5, -1, 2. It actually holds that -1 turn nicely and isn't in a huge hurry to fade. Very workable disc without being at all flippy.

I actually agree with the Punisher suggestion too. That's a disc that gets ZERO attention. They're just a hair easier to throw than a star Destroyer. I'm honestly surprised McBeth never added a Punisher to his bag. Really underrated, IMO.

I've tried a ton and the ones that I've been gelling with recently are the Emperors. It's like a beat Destroyer out of the box that won't turn and burn like many of the HS gang.

King is still easily the longest for me BH but not as predictable.

Just keep throwing what you have and get better. A new driver wont fly better than an old one that works already. If you dont like how they feel or fly then do research and try out something else that flies or feels differently.

Example: I liked how pd2s felt compared to destroyers so I threw both until I had pd2s that flew like the destroyers. You can do similar. A different disc wont make anyone better. Over time you may find like I did that a broken in pd2 doesnt like to hold a turnover as well as a shryke so throw pd2s and shrykes.

Gotta agree with Tyler. I don't throw as far as you do but the reliability of the destroyer and just something about it works. There is a reason so many discs are Destroyer clones, just stick with the destroyer.

I know for me, the traditional weak arm distance drivers will go further, terns and sherrifs and shrykes. But when I do get a really good throw the Destroyers go further and more accurately.

When you say a variety of destroyers I would ask about the PRO Destroyers. They do seem to me to be a bit more variable in stability. But they do have more glide than a beat in star.

MVP Octane, MVP Teleport (if you like Fast discs) or Axiom Delirium are my recommendations if you've got the arm for them (sounds like you do) THe Octane is a great disc that fly's like a star destroyer with slight wear - its NOT flippy, its 13/5/-1/3 in my mind, once it beats it CRUSHES. The Delirium and Teleports fly FAR. No lie they definitely go further than speed 13 discs (they are called speed 14.5....idk why they don't just say 14 or 15 but, there it is)

Octanes would be my recommendation though. and for more OS the Deliriums CRRRRUSH

MVP Octane, MVP Teleport (if you like Fast discs) or Axiom Delirium are my recommendations if you've got the arm for them (sounds like you do) THe Octane is a great disc that fly's like a star destroyer with slight wear - its NOT flippy, its 13/5/-1/3 in my mind, once it beats it CRUSHES. The Delirium and Teleports fly FAR. No lie they definitely go further than speed 13 discs (they are called speed 14.5....idk why they don't just say 14 or 15 but, there it is)

Octanes would be my recommendation though. and for more OS the Deliriums CRRRRUSH

I have a Relativity I'm waiting to try. Snow just needs to melt. Just looking at and holding this disc I can tell its going to smash.

Octane's a pretty good choice too. I agree its similar to a star Destroyer. Octanes will occasionally have a mysterious throw that bails out to the right and flips for no apparent reason. Then my next 10 tosses will be fine. I get better distance with Octanes than Destroyers. That extra bit of speed seems to help the disc penetrate a little better.