• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Drives - an instructional video

AdamE

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Are you looking to add more distance to your drive? Then these two videos are for you! Jeremy Watts and world champion Dave Greenwell give away all the secrets in this instructional video about increasing your distance off the tee.

A 2010 Louisville Disc Golf Production

Yeah, conditions were less than ideal. It was windy, cars driving by, ice cream trucks, and I believe you can hear a model airplane buzzing around close by. Despite all that I don't think it's too hard to hear everything being said and that's the important part.

I wish you could have tracked that first drive. We stepped it off at about 575'. It was CRUSHED!!!

I want to make a mild revision to one thing I said about grip. In the video I stated that the disc lays across the first knuckle, where my finger meets my hand. That's when Dave chimed in and starts shaking his head in disbielf. :) I never really analized my grip until after that day (because I don't believe that it's OVERLY important) but after examining my grip it does rest upon that knuckle joint but ONLY on my index and middle finger. From there the disc lays across my palm in a straight line from the last knuckle joint between my middle and index finger back to the center of my wrist. I misread my cue card that day I guess. :)

My two cents. The best part of the vids is the description of the reach back starting with the arm that leads to rotating the shoulders which in turn leads to rotating the hips. After the reach back has reached it's maximum, the process of uncoiling starts in reverse, the hips rotate towards the target then the shoulders then the arm. If newbies get those basics down early they will throw farther sooner.

Jeremy (tenwatts) was the one I credit for getting me from 400' consistency to almost 500' consistency. He pulled back on my disc to make sure that I reached back further and when I did, I threw 500' with my star katana for the first time! (It was about 50-60' short of his first drive of 575'.) For some reason (ah-hem) that didn't make it on the vid...hee hee hee...

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that this clinic worked for me!

My two cents. The best part of the vids is the description of the reach back starting with the arm that leads to rotating the shoulders which in turn leads to rotating the hips. After the reach back has reached it's maximum, the process of uncoiling starts in reverse, the hips rotate towards the target then the shoulders then the arm. If newbies get those basics down early they will throw farther sooner.
Guys are terrible about twisting their body, especially their hips, and especially the white guys. That's why we (white guys) can't dance. But you're right, using that combination of movements equates to more power than what you can generate using your arm alone. More power will (in most cases) equal more distance.

The two things that I say more than anything else when I'm coaching a player trying to get more distance are "you're NOT reaching back" and "you're not following through". I would say that 9/10 times that I've helped a player achieve more distance those were the first words out of my mouth. A lot of times players REALLY think they ARE reaching back. It helps to have someone actually pull you back to see how far back you can turn (as I had Dave pull me back in the vid). For follow through, make sure you finish with your non-throwing elbow pointing at your target. If you do that you KNOW that you followed through.

I want to thank everyone for the great response to the video's. Both video's, rollers and distance drives, have lots of hits and a good number of subscribers to the Youtube channel. I attribute much of the success to the great people here on DGCR. Keep watching them and we'll keep making them!

Thanks for the vids. I will have to watch them more when I get home from work. I have been working on follow through a little but I know my hips are not moving. I really need to work on that.

I like to act as though I am trying to hand something to someone directly behind the pad, and keep that backwards momentum going during my x-step until it starts to move the other direction, accelerates and snaps.

A big thanks to AdamH and TenWatts for this video.

I've always had a good follow through but from watching this video I realized I don't reach back as far as I should.

It'll be a long time before I'm throwing 575', but I had an aha moment today in the field and was able to push my Eagles out to 350'. Made me happy.

It'll be a long time before I'm throwing 575', but I had an aha moment today in the field and was able to push my Eagles out to 350'. Made me happy.

It's so exciting when you have breakthroughs like that, congrats man.

I actually had a breakthrough myself recently. I've played a number of rounds with Jeremy (tenWatts) and have always noticed how slow his feet are. Since he's going for pure distance in these video's, they're a bit faster. But when he drives, his steps are fairly slow and there's a slight pause after the crossover step before the last step and throw.

I started doing that with midrange discs and it hasn't been adding any noticeable distance, but it's making my midrange drives a lot more accurate. And that's one area where I've had issues so I was really excited about that.

Thanks Jeremy! :thmbup:

Latest posts