• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Driving - Missing the Trees for the Forest

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
Why the play on words? Because I'm starting to realize that a lot of the often-repeated advice isn't as useful as it could be.

For example, the reach back - most people giving advice talk about how critical it is to reach as far back as possible (except for those who say it isn't important at all), but what they don't tell you (but Will Schusterick did in his video on drives, bless him) is that the positioning of your non-throwing shoulder is critical to getting full advantage from the reach back. Just turning your non-throwing shoulder fully towards the target when you reach back makes a world of difference to your drive. (I won't go into why since that's not the point here.) It's a critical little detail (tree) that usually gets overlooked in the masses of people (forest) saying how important reaching fully back is without giving important bits like the off-shoulder positioning.

Accelerating the disc in a straight line across the body is another tip that gets repeated like a mantra, and that's probably enough for most people, but, again, some important details don't usually get mentioned. If you are trying to move the disc along a specific line, the joints and segments of body from your ankles up through your hips, torso, shoulder, upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand and fingers will adjust automatically to allow that straight line motion to happen, but not always in a way that is optimal for accelerating the disc along that line - your shoulder and upper arm may move up and out of the way, for example, so they don't 'bunch up' in the movement. And that is totally NOT the way to accelerate the disc properly. For me, anyway, the breakthrough on this came from watching slow-motion drives of the pros. I realized they were leading with the elbow even though this caused that 'bunching up' I mentioned where the elbow reaches the end of the forward motion it's capable of. But, if you watch what happens next - the forearm keeps moving, whipping around the elbow pivot point at high velocity. THAT's what's supposed to happen. It's what allows the transfer of power from everything above the elbow into the forearm and, ultimately, into the disc. It's like your forearm is a pole vaulter running at full speed, and the point where it rams the pole into the ground is when it hits the maximum extension point of the elbow. What happens next is just like the pole vaulter catapulting into the air, but turned on its side. With forward motion denied, the elbow becomes a pivot point and the forearm is levered around it. Once I realized this, I abandoned all thoughts of moving the disc in a straight line and instead thought of the move as driving my elbow towards my target. Since the forearm follows the elbow, driving the elbow like I'm trying to elbow some idiot standing between me and my target in the gut automatically causes my forearm and thus my disc to move in the desired straight line across the body. It also emphasizes that 'stick' where the elbow can't go any further and the energy whips the forearm around at high velocity.

Grip is another area that could benefit from taking a closer look than most advice gives. If you're using the standard power grip, you'll find tons of advice on how important and effective it is for getting 'snap', but a little thought reveals there's a deeper level of understanding possible. When the disc is ripping out of your hand, the last point of contact is your pinch point between your index finger and thumb, either because you're actually pinching the flight plate or, more likely, because the disc is rotating against the index finger where it meets the inside of the rim. That rotation on the index finger is a major source of power because it whips the disc around before pulling off the finger, adding spin and velocity.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm finding my drive is really benefiting from these sorts of 'closer looks' at the traditional advice. Anybody else have something that didn't make sense or didn't work until you found or discovered a new way to look at it?

I found all of the stuff that you said was true for me. I would add "run up" to that...it should be deliberate, flowing, and actually transfer into the throw. Running up quick without understanding tempo or bracing at the hit won't help anything and usually it will just throw off your aim and make you sore trying to stop yourself.

The other is that stupid "start a lawnmower" pull. It just leads to strong arming and other trash. It sent me in the wrong direction when I was a beginner.

The other is that stupid "start a lawnmower" pull. It just leads to strong arming and other trash. It sent me in the wrong direction when I was a beginner.

This put me off at first, too. In retrospect, it was a great lead-in to leading with the elbow,but you're right, anyone who has actually started a lawnmower this way is going to try to muscle clear from the reach back, which is definitely counter productive.

Why the play on words? Because I'm starting to realize that a lot of the often-repeated advice isn't as useful as it could be.

It's like your forearm is a pole vaulter running at full speed, and the point where it rams the pole into the ground is when it hits the maximum extension point of the elbow. What happens next is just like the pole vaulter catapulting into the air, but turned on its side. With forward motion denied, the elbow becomes a pivot point and the forearm is levered around it.

That's an interesting analogy I haven't seen before. Maybe tweek it to accelerating to full speed at the point of planting the pole.

It's not a perfect analogy, but I've always been aggravated by all the 'whip' verbiage because it makes it sound like the arm can bend like a flexible bullwhip when, clearly, it consists of mostly rigid hinged sections. The motion can look nearly fluid when the whole body is incorporated - especially when the shoulder swings around and pulls the elbow with it, preventing it from hitting it's maximum extension point. But the elbow 'stick' works so well because it acknowledges the true structure o the arm and even uses it to maximum effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfjiaZ9DvXQ

If you watch the pros (especially Schusterick in the upper right corner) you'll notice they lead with the elbow, plant or 'stick' it at it's maximum extension to vault the forearm around, but they also pull the elbow through afterward with the shoulder rotation. The best way I've found to emulate this is to consciously drive my elbow forward, then, as my forearm is swinging around, follow my rotation around with my shoulder. Like most things in DG, it's a split timing issue. Done right, it feels effortless. Done wrong an you're going to injure something somewhere along the line.

Just turning your non-throwing shoulder fully towards the target when you reach back makes a world of difference to your drive. (I won't go into why since that's not the point here.) It's a critical little detail (tree) that usually gets overlooked in the masses of people (forest) saying how important reaching fully back is without giving important bits like the off-shoulder positioning.
I thought it was it your point.... :confused:
TheBeardedFatGuy said:
Accelerating the disc in a straight line across the body is another tip that gets repeated like a mantra, and that's probably enough for most people, but, again, some important details don't usually get mentioned. If you are trying to move the disc along a specific line, the joints and segments of body from your ankles up through your hips, torso, shoulder, upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand and fingers will adjust automatically to allow that straight line motion to happen, but not always in a way that is optimal for accelerating the disc along that line - your shoulder and upper arm may move up and out of the way, for example, so they don't 'bunch up' in the movement. And that is totally NOT the way to accelerate the disc properly. For me, anyway, the breakthrough on this came from watching slow-motion drives of the pros. I realized they were leading with the elbow even though this caused that 'bunching up' I mentioned where the elbow reaches the end of the forward motion it's capable of. But, if you watch what happens next - the forearm keeps moving, whipping around the elbow pivot point at high velocity. THAT's what's supposed to happen. It's what allows the transfer of power from everything above the elbow into the forearm and, ultimately, into the disc. It's like your forearm is a pole vaulter running at full speed, and the point where it rams the pole into the ground is when it hits the maximum extension point of the elbow. What happens next is just like the pole vaulter catapulting into the air, but turned on its side. With forward motion denied, the elbow becomes a pivot point and the forearm is levered around it. Once I realized this, I abandoned all thoughts of moving the disc in a straight line and instead thought of the move as driving my elbow towards my target. Since the forearm follows the elbow, driving the elbow like I'm trying to elbow some idiot standing between me and my target in the gut automatically causes my forearm and thus my disc to move in the desired straight line across the body. It also emphasizes that 'stick' where the elbow can't go any further and the energy whips the forearm around at high velocity.

Grip is another area that could benefit from taking a closer look than most advice gives. If you're using the standard power grip, you'll find tons of advice on how important and effective it is for getting 'snap', but a little thought reveals there's a deeper level of understanding possible. When the disc is ripping out of your hand, the last point of contact is your pinch point between your index finger and thumb, either because you're actually pinching the flight plate or, more likely, because the disc is rotating against the index finger where it meets the inside of the rim. That rotation on the index finger is a major source of power because it whips the disc around before pulling off the finger, adding spin and velocity.

TheBeardedFatGuy said:
It's not a perfect analogy, but I've always been aggravated by all the 'whip' verbiage because it makes it sound like the arm can bend like a flexible bullwhip when, clearly, it consists of mostly rigid hinged sections. The motion can look nearly fluid when the whole body is incorporated - especially when the shoulder swings around and pulls the elbow with it, preventing it from hitting it's maximum extension point. But the elbow 'stick' works so well because it acknowledges the true structure o the arm and even uses it to maximum effect.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm finding my drive is really benefiting from these sorts of 'closer looks' at the traditional advice. Anybody else have something that didn't make sense or didn't work until you found or discovered a new way to look at it?
This doesn't makes sense. You are aggravating yourself quite a bit here with all the whip verbiage yourself. A vaulter's pole bends like whip, it's not rigid like your arm. A golf club is whipped in a double pendulum when swung but is rigid, although the shaft will often bend(a disc also bends), you can also hit a golf ball just as far with a loose rope shaft as the whip/swing pulls the rope taut and becomes rigid from the centripetal pull of massive heavy momentum. Also the disc pivoting/rotating around the finger doesn't add power or velocity, if it does then it defies physics. If the disc is pulling off your finger, your finger is dragging on the disc, not accelerating it. Your fingers power the release, spring or whip of disc's rear edge forward and the disc happens to pivot.

TheBeardedFatGuy said:
If you watch the pros (especially Schusterick in the upper right corner) you'll notice they lead with the elbow, plant or 'stick' it at it's maximum extension to vault the forearm around, but they also pull the elbow through afterward with the shoulder rotation. The best way I've found to emulate this is to consciously drive my elbow forward, then, as my forearm is swinging around, follow my rotation around with my shoulder. Like most things in DG, it's a split timing issue. Done right, it feels effortless. Done wrong an you're going to injure something somewhere along the line.
If it's a split timing issue to injury, that doesn't sound good.

It feels more like a whip to me when I brace properly and my shoulder is in the correct position to just fire my arm around without it feeling like tons of effort.

When I swing a bat properly, it feels like a a whip too as it shoots forward/around even though it's a 34" stick.

Sidewinder, not everyone has swung a golf club or even a bat. While even fewer have pole vaulted, the comparison is, I think, easier to understand. As for grip, yes it creates drag, but you do not get improved spin or velocity by just releasing the disc. This is because the inertia of the disc wants to continue in a straight line but is trapped by the pinch point, forcing it to slingshot around that pivot point. It's very much like a spacecraft looping around a planet in close orbit to increase its velocity. Like the grip, it would seem the gravitational pull of the planet could only create drag, but the slingshot effect works to increase velocity.

I read it, but don't agree with all of it. For one thing he's not saying there is no pivot point, only that it's not a loose pivot point. Also, if the disc isn't pulling when it leaves the grip then you've failed to accelerate it beyond the hand's own speed. No disc pull, no rip.

I read it, but don't agree with all of it. For one thing he's not saying there is no pivot point, only that it's not a loose pivot point. Also, if the disc isn't pulling when it leaves the grip then you've failed to accelerate it beyond the hand's own speed. No disc pull, no rip.
How far are you throwing?

How far are you throwing?

This is important. Every time I've reached a plateau things have felt different from the previous plateau. And advice that I'd heard before either makes more or less sense than before, depending on if it was good or bad...

Plateaus for me have been frustrating periods of trial and error. But it feels so good when you finally have an 'aha' moment and advance even a little. Now, bear in mind, I've only been playing about 11 months but, except for a period of a few weeks when a torn pectoral muscle due to poor form had me benched, I've been playing anywhere from two to six days a week, and sometimes twice a day (fortunately we had a very mild winter). And I'm starting the sport at age 47, so I'm not exactly in my peak health-wise. My previous plateau had me throwing consistently around 240' from a standstill as measured on a football field. Since then I've had three breakthroughs that have pushed me somewhere past 300' as measured by distance of basket from tee (haven't gotten back to the field to measure of late). My goal is to eventually hit 350' from a standing throw, then start incorporating a run up and x-step. I backed away from both because I wanted to work on my standing form and accuracy, but I fully intend to go back to them one I feel I'm worthy.

This thread has teeth. I'm liking it because it brings a bit of variety into how I'm thinking about throwing discs. TBFG has made some points that resonated pretty strongly with me at my present level of understanding and ability. Sometimes it's the little things that can make a difference. The idea that (for RHBH) it helps to actively turn the left shoulder towards the target during the reach back was a recent discovery. I had never caught onto this idea until HUB spelled it out in his blog along with the Simon Lizotte video. This idea, along with the ideas of keeping the disc away from my body and not hugging with my right arm have helped.

If I had seen or read about activating your left shoulder before I wasn't ready for it... so I missed it. (I'm sure it's not a new idea.) And now that I have started incorporating it into my throws I find that it just "feels" better (very easy to manage) and lets me think (confidence) that I am least getting this one piece of the swing more correct. My throws are generally straighter now, if not a bit longer, as a result.

Videos are great. Drills are great. And for me a lot of text and long-winded analysis are great. But I have found that I miss TONS of stuff as I go through it all. I may not catch a key point until I have seen it or read it for the umpteenth time. Once I get it, though, it helps everything else make more sense. So, for me, a lot of variety helps keep it fresh.

Just so you know where I'm at, I've been playing less than a year and my goal this spring was to break 200ft. For a good month I wasn't sure I'd ever make it! Now I'm regularly pushing 300ft, and feel that if I can just conquer over opening my shoulders and spraying the disc to the right whenever I try to crank it, I'll eventually be able to hit 400ft. I throw from a standstill only because I think its easier to learn and my local course demands accuracy more so than distance (lots of holes under 300 ft and many 6-8 foot gaps between the trees just off the tee). And if I ever to learn to putt I might even be able to break par on my local course!

What an interesting game it is :)

Hey TBFG, I also suffered injury early in the year. Disc golf can be a dangerous game for older guys (I'm 51). Took me 3 weeks to heal up. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but I knew it wasn't right. Gave me some time to start trying to learn how not to hurt myself and play this game a bit better.

Thank goodness for dgcoursereview! Many thanks to all who put time and effort into this excellent resource.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Hazed.

I'm all too familiar with that post. It's the difficulty between understanding how I should be doing a thing, and actually doing it that has me tied up. I know it's called practice, and I have been working on it... I'm just not there yet.

This put me off at first, too. In retrospect, it was a great lead-in to leading with the elbow,but you're right, anyone who has actually started a lawnmower this way is going to try to muscle clear from the reach back, which is definitely counter productive.

Yup...just realizing it looks like starting an engine, but shouldn't feel like that!

I'm with you on that. I know how my body SHOULD be, but doing it is different. I can't really say how I did it except it just clicked finally for me. I thought of a baseball swing, you stay closed all the way up to contact with the ball, and to hit the ball, you have to keep your eye on it/head down. Doing this helped me stay closed, more square. Your basically standing sideways and elbowing someone out in front of you, not looking at your target or turning your head to look at your target until after the disc is gone from your hand. Repetition repetition and repetition.

Latest posts