• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

distance markers

chainmonkey

Par Member
I was on a course some time back and I noticed on the edges of the fairway every now and then a colored marker some were blue some white and some red and they seemed to be about the same distance from the basket each time. As I was only visiting and not a regular at the course the only thing I could figure is that these were distance markers form the basket. But nothing on the course map indicated them. What do you think of such markers and if it is a good idea what distances from the basket should they be? I know ball courses usually have them at 100 150 and 200 yards.

I think it would be a good idea honestly. It would be real simple and environmentally friendly. Also a Range finder works too when Im figuring out ranges.

Most of the courses I've designed have multiple tees and pins so distance markers could be confusing. But it's a nice idea on courses with fixed pin placements.

I like the idea of distance from the tee and distance to the pin. More of a novelty than anything else.

Most of the courses I've designed have multiple tees and pins so distance markers could be confusing. But it's a nice idea on courses with fixed pin placements.

I played a course recently with small painted rocks in the fairway with the distance to each pin from that point. (i.e. A - 97', B - 123', C - 148').

We have the colored markers on some of our holes out at Castle Hayne. They are red, white and blue posts off to the side of the fairway with the distance to the basket painted on them in white. Pretty nice for the people that don't get to play the course that often.

I was on a course some time back and I noticed on the edges of the fairway every now and then a colored marker some were blue some white and some red and they seemed to be about the same distance from the basket each time. As I was only visiting and not a regular at the course the only thing I could figure is that these were distance markers form the basket. But nothing on the course map indicated them. What do you think of such markers and if it is a good idea what distances from the basket should they be? I know ball courses usually have them at 100 150 and 200 yards.

Was it Angry Beaver at Elon?

On the long holes there I put footage stakes at 200=Red, 300=White, 400=Blue (distance to the pin). I put them on both edges of the fairway. It was a concept thing for 2-shot and 3-shot holes. I didn't think anything under 200 was necessary, and with all you blizzard bombers out there I figured 400 might be helpful.

I used a plain wooden stake (from Lowe's) and wrapped colored duck tape a couple widths around the top. I also wrote the distance on the top of each stake with a sharpie.

I know one of the Blue=400 stakes was gone from hole #18 within a week, but I haven't been back out there to see if the others survived.

That's GREAT news and something we have been proposing on our designs, as I personally come from a ball golf world. I feel that distance markers is lacking in the sport and it's incredibly exciting to see that there are courses out there. Golf traditional does 100 yards (red), 150 yards (white), 200 yards (blue) and sometimes 250 yards (yellow). This is a very simple thing to translate to disc golf, as players will soon demand more information from the course. It's an art to see some of these players work the disc like they do, but you can't confidently rip a disc without knowing all the information --- how far are you? how far is the basket from OB? whats long over the ridge line? Just simple information like that.

The first part of your post is doable on most any course,and having a good drawing / photo of the hole with features marked is also preferred, but short of having a flyover video of each hole playing at the tee sign, knowing how far the basket is from OB or what the ridgeline is doing, or if there is a squirrel on the fairway next to a certain tree is accomplished by the old fashioned way both Disc and Ball golfers have been using for years which is to WALK the course and take notes if it is your first time playing it. It's not my job as a designer to list 100 things on each sign about each of the multiple pin positions - so you don't have to use your own eyes.

Just my opinion.

I'm of two minds on the issue of distance markers on the fairway. The side of me against them worries about causing problems for lawn mowers in the park, and wonders if they really are helpful at distances under 100 yards (300'). Inside 100 yards, most people should be able to develop a skill for eyeballing distances and "feel" the throwing line needed with their eye-hand coordination. I get more out of looking at the basket and feeling the distance instinctively than I get out of knowing I'm 170 feet from the basket. The fact that traditional golf courses don't have 50 yard markers supports this opinion.

The side of me in favor of distance markers says "hey, if the customer wants it, and it's not any trouble to install, nor going to cause any problems in the park, go ahead and do it."

So although I doubt it is useful, that's my perspective, and if enough people want it, it's worth giving it a try to see if people end up liking it. Just don't make it a priority over the standard features, and keep in mind that too much information will clutter the course and will confuse people more than it helps them.

It is very useful on holes where the basket can't be seen due to some geographic feature.

Hole 10 at Camp Fortune here in Ottawa is 600+ downhill. The hole goes downhill, then has a long plateau and then goes downhill again. Most drives land on the plateau and you can't see the basket. The distance markers help out in gauging the power needed for the next shot

Footage markers...

In 2004 we planted footage markers in the center of many of our longer fairways to help players have an idea of how far they were from the targets and / or how far they had thrown their tee shots. Feedback was varied from loved the idea to did not like the distraction and the occasional 'disc'traction from a hit marker. I used them very effectively to help train Nancy Norton, taking her from a rookie player to the SCDGO state champion is fourteen months. Of course, she worked her fanny off doing the drills etc.
On more recent course designs, I've used simple colored material tied to trees at certain useful locations along some fairways. The color can blend in to the surroundings, but still be noticeable enough for any players who purposefully looks for them. Just a thought...Shade, Trophy Lakes, SC

I think it's at Brent Baca in Albuquerque. They've got a long dogleg right that is a dogleg by design but has no natural features blocking the turn. So they put in big tall posts down the right side until the turn comes in. The posts are distance markers spaced evenly apart as well as a barrier to create the dogleg hole. Adds a neat feature to an otherwise flat hole.

We have distance markers at one of the local courses nearby (Bud Pell, Silverdale, WA). I like them, i'm pretty good at gauging distances under about 150', but they're still pretty helpful. We use red(100'), white(200'), blue(300'), and yellow(400')

Latest posts