• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Question

Mrcpa

Bogey Member
Generally speaking, how far should you be able to throw mids and control drivers(like 6-8 speeds). I've been playing for a year and haven't gotten that much better so I just bought some new mids (elite z buzzz and a opto pure) and I also bought latitude 64 river. How far should I be throwing these before I move up to distance drivers? My buddies all have distance drivers but I can't throw those to save my life, way to stable for me.

Thanks!

You can throw a distance driver whenever you feel like it. The common misconception is that throwing a distance driver early on will ruin your form. The example of that is trying to muscle over a stable/overstable distance driver to get it to turn over (or fairway driver for that part) imparts bad form.

If you want to throw something high speed every now and then pick up something understable like a bolt or tern. Throw it flat and smooth. If you get some right turn out of it then your on the right path to pushing it out there.

I would focus a lot of your driving attention on the River. You have a great learning tool in the River. Focus on making the disc fly like it is intended (slowly flips up and tracks slightly right for RHBH) with smooth form. As you gain arm speed and distance, the amount of hyzer you will need to put on the River will increase in order to keep it from flipping. Sticking with it will make you throw smoothly and you will reach the same distances with a lot less effort and clean form.

As for a distance measurement, it is not the best guide for stepping up but getting mids out close to 300' and the river over 300' is a good indicator you could go faster. Focus more on what flight the disc takes and watch lots of youtube videos of others throwing that same disc.

Overall, I agree with atison, but I might be a little more lenient on distances. If you can get that River to 300', that's an indicator that you're doing something right. Based on what you're saying, though, I'll guess that it's not going 300' for you? If you're willing to share distances, that can help us help you. Also, have you filmed yourself? It's often a form issue that has little to do with whatever putter, mid, or driver you're throwing.

Distances can sometimes be misleading, anyway. I also have an Opto Pure and several Z Buzzzes. In a field, I typically throw the Pure longer than a Buzzz, though I still prefer to use the Buzzz on more golf shots.

Generally distances for a perfect throw and great accuracy should be:

putters (1-3) 250
mids (4-6) 300
fairways (7-9) 350
(10 speed +) Distance drivers 400

It sounds like you still haven't figured out how to get good snap on the disc. You probably need to work on your arm motion and wrist control before getting bogged down in any kind of serious form work. I see so many guys worrying about their form and practically turning themselves backwards on a huge reach back, only to have the disc come out super slow with weak spin.

You should be able to just take one step and a partial reach back and snap a putter or mid around 200 feet. You will eventually get that ah-ha moment where the disc goes zipping out of you hand. Then you can start worrying about adding power by getting the body, legs, and a run up involved.

Generally distances for a perfect throw and great accuracy should be:

putters (1-3) 250
mids (4-6) 300
fairways (7-9) 350
(10 speed +) Distance drivers 400

These numbers seems very general and a little bit unrealistic. These numbers are not going to be applicable to all players. I can get a putter to 250, maybe 275 in a field, but there's no way I'm getting more than 350 with a driver

Last edited:
I feel like mids fly properly at about 250-270+, fairways around 300', and the less stable distance drivers can be useful at 330'+. I think that players have more control on these discs when you add about 30' or so to each of those numbers.

I feel like mids fly properly at about 250-270+, fairways around 300', and the less stable distance drivers can be useful at 330'+. I think that players have more control on these discs when you add about 30' or so to each of those numbers.

I agree with this mostly. I'd say that mids can be useful down to 225 or so, especially for more over and understable ones. I sometimes can't get the fade or turnover that I need out of putters a shorter distances.

Generally speaking, how far should you be able to throw mids and....

If I could start over, this would be my goals...assuming I was taking the sport serious, staying in shape, field work 3+ times a week, etc, etc.

@ 6 months: Putters 200, mids 230, drivers 250.
@ 1.5 year(s): Putters 250, mids 275, drivers 300.
@ 2.5 year(s): Putters 275, mids 300, drivers 350.

There are going to be some drivers that fly well for you now and may find a spot in your bag, it may just be that the particular drivers being thrown by your friends are too overstable for you at the moment. gmtata mentions a good resource in inbounds as that will give you distances for every mold on the market.

I have learned to separate form work from course time. If i'm working on backhand form in the field i sometimes leave more overstable stuff at home and work on getting understable neutral discs to fly the way i want them to. When i play a round, if a disc helps me score better its going into the bag whether or not it is flying exactly as intended.

Don't get hung up on throwing drivers just because your friends are using them. Go get some neutral to more unstable fairway or control drivers (speed 7-9). Go throw them and your mids. If the higher speed discs don't go any further then don't use them cause they are going to be more sensitive to bad release angles and will be less accurate.

Its not about getting mids out to some distance - it's about using discs that help your game.

DG

These numbers seems very general and a little bit unrealistic. These numbers are not going to be applicable to all players. I can get a putter to 250, maybe 275 in a field, but there's no way I'm getting more than 350 with a driver

If you are not reaching around 350 with a fairway driver or low speed distance driver, say 9 speed then you should be focusing on your form and snap....you are only hurting yourself if you are using a 10+ driver and not reaching at least 350.

If you are not reaching around 350 with a fairway driver or low speed distance driver, say 9 speed then you should be focusing on your form and snap....you are only hurting yourself if you are using a 10+ driver and not reaching at least 350.

Why? The distance drivers go further. BTW I spend a lot more time working on form than playing rounds, at least 2x more time doing field work than actually playing

DG

Why? The distance drivers go further. BTW I spend a lot more time working on form than playing rounds, at least 2x more time doing field work than actually playing

Your distance drivers may go further but your distances with your mids and fairways should achieve those distances up to and around 350 ft. I mean you can use any disc on any distance range depending on the obstacles and where the hole location is. The above guide lines I outlined above is just for open field work and to give you an idea of what disc to choose for a shot. Also starting out throwing low speed discs will help grow your distances over time. You wouldn't give a beginner a star destroyer as their first driver......Just some thoughts to think about.

Your distance drivers may go further but your distances with your mids and fairways should achieve those distances up to and around 350 ft. I mean you can use any disc on any distance range depending on the obstacles and where the hole location is. The above guide lines I outlined above is just for open field work and to give you an idea of what disc to choose for a shot. Also starting out throwing low speed discs will help grow your distances over time. You wouldn't give a beginner a star destroyer as their first driver......Just some thoughts to think about.
I agree with the beginner player part. FWIW I didnt throw anything faster than speed 7 for two years. Didn't really help my distance all that much tho. Some people are able to get mids out to 350, other wont. Simon Lizotte can throw a putter 450ft, that doesnt mean that you should only use putters from shots less than 450.

I think it's reasonable to start using speed 10-12 discs as soon as you hit 300 feet with anything else. It really depends on the shot though. Sometimes a high speed driver is a good choice even if you're not going for max range because it may have qualities that you need on that shot (such as bigger fade, or more skip, or better wind resistance).

Right, they can also fly lower lines than slower discs while still getting the same distance

Latest posts