• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance????

Here's a fact to discuss: I calculated that the average length of all throws made during 2104 Am Worlds was 100 feet.

500+ might actually be around 0.05%. Or less.

This. I know one guy who can throw over 500+, and otherwise, in person I've only seen 1000+ rated pros do it. I know a few others who can throw over 400', including one whom I've seen throw 400' "stand and deliver" style. All of these people are good to great athletes. I suspect the 350' disc golf throw is like the 60mph baseball throw: it doesn't sound like all that much, but it's the practical ceiling for most people of average athletic talent, even with good form.

That just means you have at least one of the elements to help you get to 970+ at some point. The fact that maybe half of the current players over 970 do not regularly get over 400 during golf throws means there's a lot more than distance needed to get there.

I would be surprised to meet a 970-rated player who can't throw over 400' on a flat, open fairway. I'd almost have said 400' is a necessary skill to achieve that high a rating, but Steve West's graph shows otherwise. I guess I'm just surprised.

This is based on how far the throw went, not how far a player "can" throw.

That makes me feel a bit less surprised about the data.

4:47 Confirmed. I know that hole. That was a huge tee shot. :clap:

Last edited:
4:47 Confirmed. I know that hole. That was a huge tee shot. :clap:

Yes, the fairway is downhill the whole way, and yes, he might have had a tail wind, but the throw was WAY over 400'. Nobody with less than 400' power could put a drive there.

But there's no excuse for putting your next drive in the water. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm right around 300. I've thrown out to ~350 a few times on level ground, but on a typical day I need a good rip to get out to 300, and a great one to get 325.

I've never really given much thought to the breakdown of distance among DGers. All I know is that from the very first day I tossed a disc (stupid Z Reaper), I could get it over 300'. I've played casually for a decade now, and in that time I've gotten it up to 420' pretty consistently. Further if I really lay into one.

All the courses in the Denver metro area (for the most part) are wide open. Grip and rip. I learned fairly quickly how to gain yardage on my throws and to adjust to hazards and obstacles on courses.

I don't play often or know many players, but the great majority of them I see can at least do 300'. Many are well over 400'.

I suspect it has to do with the courses in your area. If there's alot of open distance shots, you get good at open distance shots. If your area is more woodsy, you get good at the shorter accuracy stuff. Around here, there's not much call to throw over about 350, which I suspect is why I haven't learned to throw farther than that <I got to a point 5 years ago where I was averaging 370, broke 400 a few times>.

I suspect it has to do with the courses in your area. If there's alot of open distance shots, you get good at open distance shots. If your area is more woodsy, you get good at the shorter accuracy stuff. Around here, there's not much call to throw over about 350, which I suspect is why I haven't learned to throw farther than that <I got to a point 5 years ago where I was averaging 370, broke 400 a few times>.

That depends on what your goals are. The course that I learned to play on has very few holes that go beyond 400ft and they are rarely in those positions. To birdie a bunch of the holes you need to hit tight windows or shape anhyzer or forehand shots. However, because of what I read on here I started playing with only a putter and a KC Roc. I would just show up at the course and throw those discs on every hole, stretching them out further and further. Now I can grab a Roc3 or below and birdie or par every hole on the course, regardless of position. My friend, who didn't throw putters and mids like that, throws Mambas and Destroyers on holes that I throw a mid or a Teebird. Unless the hole is over 400ft I don't pull anything faster than speed 9 out of my bag.

On that course, we are very evenly matched, as we are on most courses. When we go to a more open course, where the par 3s are 400ft+, things change. I'm putting for birdie and he's stuck making long runs and taking pars. You can build both accuracy and power on wooded courses if you take the time.

(Disclaimer: I played a lot of sports through college, where he hasn't had that experience. I feel like my understanding of the kinematics involved are a little better because of that.)

Watching that bomb on 24 in person was a super fun moment. That 2013 meetup was sooo good.

BS. Typical Charlotte elitism. I highly doubt there are more than 30 or so in Charlotte that throw 500. In MN I know of maybe 12 people.

10,000 disc golfers throwing over 500' worldwide is a crazy number. Even if you are talking about a "distance line" (ie I threw 500 once on a fluke with a huge tailwind)

Lol not trying to be elitist in anyway. Think what u want but on our club team alone we had 4 or 5 people this year that have thrown over 500 several times and 2 or 3 can regularly. And thats out club team. Not counting the amount of competitive players around charlotte.

Honestly, it's pretty easy to throw 500'. Once your disc goes 250', pick it up and throw it again.

Throwing for distance and useful golf lines are so different. I would guess most people can get 15-20% more distance switching to a distance line over a controlled distance golf line.

I've thrown 500' on flat ground on the course and there are multiple people on this website who have seen it. I've also been in the circle on a 500' flat hole and yes there was a bunch of trees i had to go around. Ive thrown 500' in my yard countless times and there I'm throwing uphill a bit.

I can not throw 500' at will but I also know there are people who can throw farther than me. So to me the idea that most people can't really throw 500' is a bit off. I think there's a good amount of people who can do it but just not 10,000 of them.

well i worded that wrong, i'm saying this idea that most of the people claming 500 are just wrong or lying is a bit off. there's probably a good amount of people who can do it.

yeah I don't doubt anyone who can throw that far. With a few tweaks and faster discs i don't think its out of my skinny ass realm even. I can hit 400' and broke 450' but that extra 50 brings it to a new level. I also haven't really thrown any 12+ speed discs regularly for a few years now either. Its pretty easy IMO to throw over 350' so for any advanced player and athletic person 500 isn't crazy at all.

For some reason i have always excelled at throwing slow discs really far.

At this point my goal has gone more to wanting to hit 400' with a mid regularly; as of now Im more at 380'. The ability to throw slow discs far is 100x more valuable than throwing a high speed driver 500'

Honestly, it's pretty easy to throw 500'. Once your disc goes 250', pick it up and throw it again.

Easy for you to say. My arm's too tired after that first 250' to pull off another, without resting.

Latest posts