• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Diversity in the bag?

Bearcat42

Alright so if I'm jumping in on a hot topic here someone let me know before I get started so I can dump the thread,

But as far as maker diversity in the bag, is there some sort of stigma against having both Innova and Discraft in the same bag? I've noticed that a lot of players will carry just one type and swear by their brand, whereas others will mix and match as they choose.
*note: I know some players get sponsored to throw a certain brand, but I'm speaking more in terms of your average, everyday player.

Is there some sort of advantage to sticking with the same producer? Such as a familiar grip or more similar paths of flight between discs?

Personally my bag is split down the middle with Innova and Discraft and one Millennium thrown in the mix, and it works out pretty well for me.

Maybe its just a matter of personal preference?

I thought setting up a poll but I would rather hear actual explanations rather than just stats. Soooooo any input?

it has to do with preference for the most part, unless you are snooty. most of my drivers are discraft just because i've found them to be most comfortable in my hands and easiest to control. i do, however, always keep a nice beat-in beast in the bag (pro beast right now). i'm a bit more partial to innova mids, however. i throw the roc and the aero every round, but i also carry a meteor for turnover shots. i putt with wizards, and if i wasn't putting with those, i'd be putting with innova sonics.

so again, i think it's pretty much a matter of preference

There seem to be a number of areas of the country that are mostly Discraft or mostly Innova. For example, Dave Greenwell is an Innova sponsored player and has been for... well a very long time. So because of that, the Louisville area is mainly Innova. Huntsville, AL seems to be the same way probably because Lavone Wolfe is down there. Discraft is in Michigan so a lot of the players up there throw Discraft.

My bag is mainly Innova because that's what I started throwing before I knew anything about disc brands. I don't dislike Discraft, it's just that they and Innova make discs that are very similar so I never felt the need to switch it up.

I have a Buzzz in my bag and a Q Sentinel by Millennium (that I occasionally swap out for a Wasp) but the rest is Innova.

I have a majority of innova discs, but I carry a couple discraft molds. Still looking for a drone replacement, but maybe I won't ever find one.

Biz
Team Bert

I was mostly Innova and I worked a Buzz in my Bag. Now I don't have to Much Innova... but once i disc back up I will use mostly Innova Drivers.

I am fairly spread out. Add my Wizard to the bag and I have the major brands covered.

It's really a preference thing, but I like whatever disc will do the job. Like a lot of people, I started out all Innova. Eventually I found a couple Discraft, then I bought some, and now I could easily play with just Discraft discs. I wouldn't let go of my Star Wraith, though, and the Gator isn't coming out of my bag either. Along with a couple other Innova discs I like carrying, my bag is a pretty good mix of the two.

I started out thinking it would be the "cool" thing to do if i only had discraft in my bag but i have branched out quite a bit and it has helped my game a lot.

I now have in my bag:
3 lat 64 discs (river, core, fuse)
4 discraft discs (stalker, predator, buzzz, comet)
2 innova discs (leopard, wraith)
2 gateway discs (magic x2)

I trade out the wraith for a S-PD and predator for a Banshee often since they are my FH discs and i have been messing around with different things. I sometimes carry 2 stalkers as well

I really like ESP better than star and i really like lat 64's opto better than z and champ. So most of it is feel for me and how easy they are to throw for my noodle arm.

I have 4 different brands in my bag: Innova, Discraft, Gateway and Aerobie. I think only using one brand really limits the different things you can do. I judge a disc based on how it throws, not on what brand name is stamped on it.

Most here are pro-mixed bag, just like the underline of your post. As long as your discs are legal, you're good with me. I don't think anyone really gets an advantage with a mold or two, I think it's more skill.

Discraft is in Michigan so a lot of the players up there throw Discraft.

Understatement of the year!

...at the Michigan State Finals last year there was a huge bonfire at the TD's house going all weekend. The main fuel for that fire? Anything that had the word "Innova" on it.

...I promptly hid my Teebirds and first run Bosses.

I have branched out a lot trying almost any disc that has sparked my interest. Right now, My bag is 60% Latitude, 20% Discraft, 15% Innova, and 5% MVP (ION). I have tried some Gateway, Quest AT, Aerobie, ABC discs, and Ching, but those haven't made it into my main bag. I think players should try all brands to see what they like.

My bag is mixed but it is mostly innova cuz that is what was readily available when i started, but I have expanded a little bit to gateway and discraft as I find discs and borrow peoples to try out. I agree that it is mostly based on preference and whats available.

Latitude 64
Innova
Gateway
Discraft
MVP

All in my bag. Use whatever works for you, and don't get too hung up on who makes it. Loyalty in this case, sucks.

Innova, Discraft, Daredevil, Aerobie, Millennium, Lat 64, and Discwing are all currently in my bag. Brand loyalty in my opinion hurts, but I can understand mold loyalty.

I started out all Innova because they had the best selection in my town. I eventually tried out other brands, and now don't throw any Innova unless you count the QOLF.

I also started out with all Innova, but I also throw Discraft and Gateway now. It's all about whatever works best for the thrower because in most cases, it's not the instrument but the musician.

Since Millennium and Innova are really the same company... they dominate my bag (mostly Millennium), but I have some Discraft drivers that I really like. I can throw the X Wildcat and Z Avenger SS a long way... (the Wildcat was used on my longest ever backhand throw). I have a Gateway Magic SSS that is pretty awesome.

As for trying out more brands... I have too many discs now. I'd be better off keeping it simple as Millennium ads say... but I need my Teebird and I need my Magic SSS and I can throw that Wildcat so darn far... etc. etc....

Latest posts