• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DIY Air Force backpack

livextreme9

Birdie Member
Here is a little DIY project I'm working on. It's an Air Force recruiting backpack I got a few years ago. All I've done so far is added a PVC frame inside, cut a pool noodle for bottom support (inside front bottom zipper) and added a conforming plastic back plate for my camelbak deployment pack. Here is what it looks like now although I removed the cross bar next to the red arrow:

imagejpg1.jpg

aeaead9e-7e6e-4693-be36-bed8972f977d.jpg

imagejpg7.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

imagejpg5.jpg

Upcoming plans - making a new drink holder, creating a putter pocket, moving the front end of the side buckle up and plasti-dipping the bottom or adding feet.

I will add more pics as I go. Hopefully I can make it even better. Any thoughts or ideas?

Cool. Super awesome for the cash.

But, I do not know how much more love and time I would invest in it. Not sure how long term overall durable it would be carrying 5-6 pounds of discs, the PVC, and bladder weight in the main compartment and adding on more side weight. Seems like a push on the bag design limits. Those zippers might degrade in a year of good use. ....or is she beefier than it looks?

Small soft side coolers / lunch bags can be broken down for making nice custom to you koozies could be sewn onto side for nearly nothing.

Cool. Super awesome for the cash.

But, I do not know how much more love and time I would invest in it. Not sure how long term overall durable it would be carrying 5-6 pounds of discs, the PVC, and bladder weight in the main compartment and adding on more side weight. Seems like a push on the bag design limits. Those zippers might degrade in a year of good use. ....or is she beefier than it looks?

Small soft side coolers / lunch bags can be broken down for making nice custom to you koozies could be sewn onto side for nearly nothing.

It seems beefy for being a regular backpack. Hopefully it lasts longer than anticipated. I do have another backpack than I may possibly be able to drop this PVC frame in if this bag doesn't hold up.

Thanks for the koozie idea. I do have some extra lunch boxes lying around. :thmbup:

I used the traps the way I did to make the discs sit a little higher without having to make the pvc frame taller. They are held in by 3/4 of an inch length pvc. I made sure to have both 45 degree angles meet flush so they were exactly the same height. I also have an articulated plastic back panel (from my camelbak BFM backpack) behind the pvc frame and those angles keep the pressure off my back. It helps out a lot having that panel.