• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wrist Snapper DIY

RFrance

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Here is an easy DIY to make a wrist snapper as a training tool for wrist release (see the video below). You can use it for both backhand and forehand and works better than trying to snap a towel.

Quick Backgrounder: Many posts in the Form Analysis and Technique forums reference YouTube videos involving golf techniques. Since this is YouTube you get a lot of related Ads. A few were about an Impact Snap training aid which looked interesting but costs $99. A quick search turned up a cheaper alternative which was Ernie Parker's Wrist Snapper for softball, but that was still $25. However, it looked like it was easy to make a knock off since it was PVC and modify for disc golf with more like a hammer handle instead of a "T". The details are below the video.

Materials:
1. 1 Piece 4" of ½ inch PVC pipe (use Schedule 40 so the caps fit) – a 2 foot section at HD is $1.50
2. 2 Pieces ½ PVC caps – $0.49 each or both for $1
3. 1 neodymium magnet (0.75 diameter) – pack of 5 is $10
4. 1 Machine screw – zinc plated ¼ inch-20 x 1 ¼ - pack of 4 is $1.20 (stainless steel won't stick to a magnet)

Basically about $5 a piece but enough magnets and PVC pipe to make 5 for about $20 if you get extra caps and another screw.

Tools:
PVC glue or other glue (Gorilla) for caps
Hacksaw to cut PVC pipe

attachment.php

Instructions:
The picture shows it all.
1. Place magnet in one of the caps (it comes with sticky tape). It might help to mark this cap with a Sharpie so you know which end to hold.
2. Glue one end of PVC pipe onto the cap (the pipe will also hold the magnet in place).
3. IMPORTANT: Slide the machine screw into the pipe with the threaded end first. Otherwise the magnet might not release from the screw head (they are strong magnets).
4. Glue on the other cap.

Using the Wrist Snapper:
Grab the wrist snapper by the magnet end (that's why we mark it). Go through your swing. If you correctly release your wrist, the screw will pop from the magnet and make a loud click sound. Turn the wrist snapper upside down to return the screw back to the magnet.

Safety: I strongly recommend using this outside. If over time the glue doesn't hold the cap the screw can come flying out PDQ and it will break something.

You can paint it or dip in Plasti Dip to make it look nice.

Attachments

• Wrist Snapper 2d.jpg
    Wrist Snapper 2d.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 769
ZJ used to talk about throwing the pipe out of the cap.

I tested it before gluing the cap on and on about the third try the screw came zinging out. It's glued on good for now. I imagine that's why Ernie probably used Plasti Dip for his as insurance. Fortunately, this uses a small screw and PVC and not a "pipe".

Interesting. Would different lengths of tubing, or different size screw effect the timing of the pop?

I know I have bad timing. I wonder if something like this could help.

Interesting. Would different lengths of tubing, or different size screw effect the timing of the pop?

I know I have bad timing. I wonder if something like this could help.

A longer tube would require more time before it makes the sound, probably only milliseconds but maybe noticeable. Since you only need to cut one end it's easy to experiment with. Start long and instead of gluing the cap tape it real good and give it a try. If it doesn't seem right cut a little off and try again. I don't think the screw will make much difference except a bigger screw would have more inertia and possible knock the cap off if not secured well. It makes a loud noise. If your timing is off you won't snap the screw off the magnet and no noise.

I stopped at the hardware store and picked up some threaded pvc with nuts. I bought metal caps to cover the openings. The magnet sticks to the cap, so no glue or adhesives needed.

Unfortunately, I bought 1/8 inch thick neo magnets which seem to be way too strong unless I put the magnet on the outside of the cap. Even then, I need a strong weight shift to get the screw to release. Fun stuff.

I stopped at the hardware store and picked up some threaded pvc with nuts. I bought metal caps to cover the openings. The magnet sticks to the cap, so no glue or adhesives needed.

Unfortunately, I bought 1/8 inch thick neo magnets which seem to be way too strong unless I put the magnet on the outside of the cap. Even then, I need a strong weight shift to get the screw to release. Fun stuff.

The neo magnets are crazy strong. I compared them to the regular magnets next to them and there's no contest.

I used rFrance's design. The more surface area that touches the magnet the more force you need.

I was originally using a bolt that covered 80 percent the surface area of the magnet. I could only get it to snap 1 out of 10 times.

I have a bolt now that covers about 40 percent with a nut screwed to the end. I now achieve the snap 8 out of 10 times. This seems to be a good balance. When I get 10 out of 10 consistently I will remove the nut.

Maybe one day I will make it up to the high surface area bolt!

Very cool. I like that it has the ability to make it more and more difficult.

What did you use/where did you get the metal caps? I found the threaded PVC w/ nuts and magnets at Home Depot, but couldn't find anything to use as a metal cap

What did you use/where did you get the metal caps? I found the threaded PVC w/ nuts and magnets at Home Depot, but couldn't find anything to use as a metal cap

I can't find them online but they were in the hardware drawers at ACE. You are probably better off with a washer like Scoopa said. The caps I bought were over a dollar each and starting to dent.

The metal caps look like what I've used before to nail down roofing tar paper. Might need to use 2 or 3 on an end but they were pennies a piece.

This tool has helped me more than I was expecting. I have gotten much better at shifting from behind and have improved my left leg balance. I also incorporated the swim move. I've even been able to get the screw to release with the magnet on the inside which I thought was nearly impossible a few weeks ago. Instant feedback makes it much easier to tweak your form.

This tool has helped me more than I was expecting. I have gotten much better at shifting from behind and have improved my left leg balance. I also incorporated the swim move. I've even been able to get the screw to release with the magnet on the inside which I thought was nearly impossible a few weeks ago. Instant feedback makes it much easier to tweak your form.

Last week I was able to hear that I was getting the "snap" before the top of the wrist extension. I was able to easily adjust my rhythm to coordinate the "snap" and peak wrist extension. I carry one in my practice bag and one in my course bag to use for occasional warm up swing on the tee.

I finally got around to making one of these. I already had some PVC pipe and magnet, and didn't feel like stopping at the store so I printed up an end to fit the pipe and hold the square magnet that I had.

The magnet is an old hard drive magnet and ridiculously strong, so I tapered the screw to a point, and added a nut for extra momentum.

picture.php

Thanks @RFrance for the OP - I made one according to your plan, but couldn't get it to snap at all. So I changed the 1/4 20 to a slightly smaller bolt, to decrease the surface area. Works great!

I made a second one using the 1/4 20, in hopes that I'll work up to it...

Thanks @RFrance for the OP - I made one according to your plan, but couldn't get it to snap at all. So I changed the 1/4 20 to a slightly smaller bolt, to decrease the surface area. Works great!

I made a second one using the 1/4 20, in hopes that I'll work up to it...

I think that is the big advantage of Mocheez's design with the screw top. Easy to swap in a different screw weight or size.