• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DIY Backpack: Magellan Outdoors Bonner III Edition

KYdischippy

Birdie Member
Got this idea for 8bit in the Current Backpacks for DIY thread. I've done some modding and am LOVING this bag. It looks great and feels even better. It has the comfort of a Grip bag mostly. What I love is that the disc storage is like a tourney style bag. The bag can be found at Academy Sports: http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...-1__?color=Red&N=903754835&Ntt=bonner&Ntk=All

First thing I did was gut the bag. I cut the buckles and webbing off the front pockets. Then I cut out the laptop pocket and 2 interior pockets. And removed a sheet of foam from the main divider. This frees up a lot of room and lets the discs sit farther into the bag than you see in the pictures in the Current DIY Bags thread. This is what it looks like after the gutting.
fxeD9C

fxeDZL

Next I sorted out was disc storage/firming up the bottom. I bought a sheet of corrugated plastic at Lowes for $7 and made my own cradle that fits a little better than the U-channels (due to the bag being more narrow than a tourney bag). I also used the corrugated plastic later on...

Next were zipper stops. I set the zippers for the main pocket level with the top of the "putter pocket" Then I hot glued pieces of webbing taken from the front pockets. I'll sew them as well once I get the bag set.

Next I used hot glue to make creases in the main pocket flap and putter pocket flap. I also removed material from the putter pocket flap. As you can see I still have more clean up to do on the putter pocket.
fwZqVM

All of these mods made the bag awesome! The one thing that was bothering me was I could feel the discs pushing against my back. It was still more comfortable and rode higher than a tourney bag, but I could see it bothering me in the long run. So I was looking in the mirror to see what was going on, and saw that the bags back panel was making this arcing shape, I guess due to all the weight being low. So I made an "internal frame." I used the remaining corrugated plastic from my disc cradle. All I did was make 2 layers of corrugated plastic the size of the back panel. Then used the "ready for x-ray strap already in the bag to secure it. There is one side of velcro on this strap, and I just used velcro I had on the plastic frame. Now the bag is pretty ridged and rides beautifully!
fx1bdM

So below is the current product. I have more mods in mind that I think will make this bag phenomenal. Total investment thus far: $37
fwZpxB

Some cool things about this bag:
-It's light! It is made of ripstop nylon like an ultralight hiking bag rather than the ballistic stuff most bags use.
-It holds about 19-20 discs total, perfect if not too many for my tastes.
-Very easy to mod, putter pocket is there out of the box as is main compartment.
-There is a fleece pocket that is just under the handle at the top. It is the black square you see about the discs in the main compartment. It is a great place for your phone if you like listening to music during rounds, protected and sounds great! No speakers needed.
-2 Water bottle holders out of the box.
-Pocket on front of putter pocket that will function as a mini/scorecard pocket for tournies.
-2 large pockets behind drink holders.
-2 other smaller pockets for pencils or whatever else.
STAY TUNED. More to come. I am pretty stoked on this bag!

Not sure why the pictures aren't displaying...If you right click, you can view in a new tab...not sure what's going on
Edit: if anyone knows how to fix it, that'd be cool. Pics are linked from Flickr.

Last edited:
Can you post a link to the pics on your Flickr page? I am looking at doing this and would love to see pics.

Played a round of safari golf with the Bonner today. Performed flawlessly. With the few mods it actually functions like a legit DG bag. The previous DIY bag I did, a fishing tackle bag like the Cabelas worked, but there were sacrifices made for the price. This thing is cheaper and performs awesome. Feels great on the back, disc storage is great, putter pocket is great, pockets galore, 2 drink holders. I am improving the cup holders next. I think you will be impressed with what I have in mind...so stay tuned!

great job! can't wait to see what else you come up with. I also have one of these on the way, pretty excited now!

How did you mend together the pieces of the corrugated plastic u-divider. The sides look like you might of glued them? Very interested in that part.

How did you mend together the pieces of the corrugated plastic u-divider. The sides look like you might of glued them? Very interested in that part.

I used white duct tape. You hardly see the cradle in the bag when you fold the flap over it, and you don't see the duct tape at all. It's strong (I it's either 3m, good stuff).

I did the drink holder mod last night. Homerun! I am so stoked on it. Functions perfect and looks great. I'll post pics tonight.
Love this bag. Golfing with my buddy yesterday I realised I don't really notice that it's diy during a round. My previous diys (fishing bags) I noticed every time I got a disc out. This one functions very much like my buddies grip.

Thats awesome, I could never see myself paying 150 for a backpack bag, just way overpriced. But something like this for around 40 bucks sounds awesome.

So here is my drink holder mod. I am so stoked on this mod! So the Bonner comes with 2 mesh water bottle holders. I know right off the bat that these will be destroyed eventually, however they create a great starting point!
So what I did was buy 2 cans of peaches at Walmart ($1.68 ea) in large enough cans to fit a 32oz Gatorade. Obviously I emptied and washed them. Luckily they are literally the perfect height to slide in under the elastic on the existing drink holders. I wraped the cans in a layer of foam that was removed from the bag at the beginning. This serves 2 purposes, the first being insulation. The second a surface the secret ingredient permeates to strengthen the cup holder:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99235327@N06/9571380499/
Next I put the insulated cans in the cup holders. I then used rubberized car undercoat paint found at Walmart ($3.98). I then put many coats of the coating on both the cup holders and the bottom of the bag. 1 can is plenty. The coating ends up soaking into the insulation and becomes very strong. It also connects the mesh and makes it solid:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99235327@N06/9580576696/
And here is how it the bag looks with improved cup holders and large drinking cups (didn't have any Gatorade for photo op but these are roughly the same size)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99235327@N06/9580580430/
And a close up of the cup holder with cup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99235327@N06/9577795877/
And from the back:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99235327@N06/9577797405/

Sorry about the links instead of pictures, not sure why photos aren't showing in my posts...anyway here is a link to the photo set of this bag:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99235327@N06/sets/72157635134764524/

This looks awesome man. I was looking for a Cabela angler pack earlier and the bag is discontinued- last year model. Now I am searching for another bag to mod up. I must admit, the Cabela bag was appealing because of the extra storage for like a sweatshirt or whatever. It looks like from the pics the main part of the bag is pretty much only for discs? Also, did you mess around with PVC pipe framing at all? Sorry for the questions. :D

Yes the main part is all disc. But there is a pocket in the back that you could fit a hoodie in if you rolled it up. No I didn't mess with PVC. That's what I did on my last diy, I didn't like the way it rode/felt. You don't need a frame in this bag really, discs are not going to fall out. The front flap rides at exactly the same height as a grip bag. I just used the corrugated plastic to stiffen up the bottom of the bag. Works well, though it really doesn't even need that.

just ordered my red pack from Academy....threw in a couple of t-shirts for $6 each to get the free shipping. can't wait to mod this bag baby! will post pics. thanks for the fantastic bag idea. stoked!!:D

Latest posts