• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you aim for a roller to roll left or right?

TheSecondZ

Bogey Member
I throw lefty, but to avoid confusion, I'll phrase things from the perspective of a right hand backhand.

When throwing a roller, do you usually throw your most understable disc, so that it'll turn over mid-air into a roller? Or do you throw something more overstable and just start it as a roller?

Additionally, when you throw a (RHBH) roller, do you aim for it to roll left (with the disc not quite vertical but tilted to the left, with the bottom of the disc facing down), or do you aim for it to flip over (so the disc is tilted to the right, with the bottom of the disc up) and roll right?

Is either of these more reliable or consistent?

Most of the time if I am throwing a backhand roller it means I am trying to max out on distance. In that case i prefer a more stable disc so it will cut for a ways before it stands up and try to get it on the ground pretty quickly.

I throw a Westside Hatchet and try to get it to land on a cut angle, basically 45-60 degrees in relation to the ground (10:30-11:00 on a clockface). It then slowly stands up to vertical while it rolls. If I want it to finish left, I roll a fresher Hatchet. If I want it to finish right, I roll an old beat up Hatchet.

I tend to throw 2 discs for rollers --- an overstable one for distance, a very understable one for short throws out of trouble (which is usually where I am). The latter will reliably roll, turn, and fall where I want it to.

So to clarify, if the disc is more stable, it'll be more likely to stay "cut" and roll left? And if it's understable, it's more likely to stand up vertical or roll right on its "back"?

Correct. A super beat up overstable disc will be your longest roller. More overstable discs will be harder to get to flip over to its back everytime, especially when there is a cross wind.

Forehand roller will generally turn toward the top of the disc. Backhand roller will generally turn toward the top of the disc. Throw mini rollers while walking between holes to see.

Latest posts