• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you know what Disc Golf lacks?

I brought them the beer lol. I can't imagine how much money a good lookin gal woulda made doing my job at that course cause I made a killing. Almost wish I still had that job, but I probably wouldn't have starting playing disc golf if I hadn't quit when I did.

gimmicky can be fun too. There is a private course in SW Ohio called Cabin Creek. The course is also used as a paintball venue. There are several holes that cut through the paint ball fields so you have all sorts of different obstacles in the way. great course but very quirky

Virtually none of us would second guess a spot of sand in the fairway or near the basket. However, a group of TREES would. Trees are the disc golf equivelant of sand traps.

Happy-Gilmore-Happy-Place.jpg

The mom from Modern Family has aged well.

Also, we don't only have to use sand. We could use a half moon of hedgerow or shrubbery instead. A good example of the idea of a green that we probably all know is the bamboo hole at the USDGC. That hole creates a situation where throwing a specific shot and landing inside a well defined zone gives you a distinct advantage to hole out. Whether or not a bamboo wall is gimmicky or not is a different discussion.
The bamboo is now a triple mandatory, not an advantage. The hazards you mention have been done on many courses, but many courses don't need extra man made hazards considering how heavily wooded courses are or have water. Briars and thorns and poison ivy tend to be disc golf sand traps. Roped areas of OB and hazard are also used. Courses that are more open and lack elevation tend to pretty boring without any man made gimmicks. Sand traps among most obstacles on ball golf courses are a gimmick, they just look nicer. ;)

do you know what Disc Golf doesn't lack?

unrealistic expectations

you got that right. I like to play theoretical disc golf. In theory I can throw that 380ft turnover right through that 10ft wide gap.

25 would be cheap for the courses around here and that price probably wouldn't include the cart.

That is cheap anywhere. I grew up in Myrtle Beach, SC and I think some of the public courses charge $40-$50 with cart after 2pm during July and August. Something dg has that traditional golf lacks is the mentality that if you must pay for anything you must first complain about it and it is not worth it because there are plenty of free courses to play elsewhere. It is so irritating when people complain about well maintained p2p courses that charge $5. I have also been at tournaments where people complained about having to pay $8 for lunch which supports the local club.

I believe the PDGA says something along the lines of that within the circle when designing a course that obstructions should be taken into consideration essentially creating what we are considering a "green" even though in reality it isn't and we know there are plenty of baskets that are completely guarded by trees. That just seems to be part of our game.

As for the sand traps I have often thought this would be good as well OR even adjust the rules as sand traps become more prevalent in our game that it must be taken from a standstill/no run up. Essentially the same concept as in ball golf that the club head can't touch the sand prior to swing type thing.

I don't think "greens" would really affect DG very much but I do think strategically placed "traps" either hedge rows or depressions would impact DG putting.

To OP question - public awareness and respect

A sand trap equivalent is easy. Just place a 30'x30' plastic sheet down and coat it with baby oil. Try getting a decent shot off that sucker!

I just pictured Locastro flailing on my sand trap idea and fell off my chair.

A sand trap equivalent is easy. Just place a 30'x30' plastic sheet down and coat it with baby oil. Try getting a decent shot off that sucker!

I just pictured Locastro flailing on my sand trap idea and fell off my chair.

Awesome! Or maybe instead of sand use mulch that is about waist deep. Imagine the trepidation of walking up on that snake pit. Even if there isn't a snake, it would destroy my mental game walking out there thinking there was.

My home course has five actual bunkers on it, and other spots that are designated with "bunker" status. If you land in one of these spots, you have to throw your disc upside down to simulate chipping. The actual bunkers only get maintained a few times a year, so you don't really get the sand effect.

2j4a6uq.jpg

Another one of the area courses creates "bunkers" by putting tall grass patches in the center of the fairway. Same upside down throw rule if you land in one of these.

1i269h.jpg

That is cheap anywhere. I grew up in Myrtle Beach, SC and I think some of the public courses charge $40-$50 with cart after 2pm during July and August. Something dg has that traditional golf lacks is the mentality that if you must pay for anything you must first complain about it and it is not worth it because there are plenty of free courses to play elsewhere. It is so irritating when people complain about well maintained p2p courses that charge $5. I have also been at tournaments where people complained about having to pay $8 for lunch which supports the local club.

$25 is definitely on the cheap side of ball golf. That's definitely walking, probably mid-week and or late afternoon rate with the senior discount.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable fee ($5 - $8) to play a nicely kept PTP DG course I just would hate to see it get as expensive as ball golf. I enjoy ball golf but I'm just a blue collar bloke with a family to feed and a kid that will be starting college in a couple of years so l can't afford to play often enough to get good at it so it's frustrating. The cheap or free aspect of playing DG is what initially attracted me to it. Like I posted earlier I can take the family and not have to take out a loan from the bank.

My apologies to the OP. I kind of drew the thread off subject but the things he suggested do come at a price. I like the idea of hedges, bamboo stands or marked OBs like they often use for the tournaments. These things would add to the challenge without adding a lot of upkeep expense.

Scrapfishs' home course looks cool and I like the upside down disc (chipping) rule.

Last edited:
Last edited:
In Ball Golf, the Green is not completely flat - it is sloped, and wavy, and the green runs away from the hole and all that. The Green must be "read"

Screen-shot-2011-01-08-at-2.11.46-PM.png

Remember this??

Lets leave some trees in that 10M circle. I'm tired of seeing the pro tourneys where they just have to throw 40' dead straight. I'm tired of just putting dead straight. Reading a green and aiming accordingly to go around obstacles is an art, and separates the men from the boys (disc golfers from the frolfers)

If you land in one of these spots, you have to throw your disc upside down to simulate chipping.

Are you for realz or is this the trollin' that I've heard so much about? I kinda hope is trollin' because (with all due respect) that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Latest posts