• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play differently depending on the kind of round?

numbernine

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
For example -

My tournament rounds are TYPICALLY above/around my rating. I'm a 930 rated dude, and that is what I usually shoot at tournaments. I've had my share of 975s and my share of 900s this year. K. I feel like I play pretty well in a competitive setting.

But man, I HATE to play at league night. I never, ever , ever play well. I don't know if it is because I am playing alongside people I know, so I don't concentrate as hard. I don't know if it is because some of the people I am playing with are 810 rated guys and I let the pace of play screw with me. (I get irritated with a lot of dumb stuff too. That is my fault solely. I get it. I shouldn't let people playing music, and recounting every single shot they make, and smoking the whole time get to me. But man, I sure do)

Thoughts on this at all? Am I the only one who has this issue?

I have a different issue but get similar results.

If I'm playing and focusing on fun and enjoying golf, I do well. If I start to feel like I need to play to win, I do terrible. If I'm in that mindset, and I start to perform poorly, the stress and pressure build and everything goes wrong as I start trying to force myself to play better. I feel like I've finally started to reign that in after letting it run rampant over my game last season.

I try to use the tee pad as solace. League and all the circus that sometimes accompany it, can be distracting, and certainly much different than tournament play. I say this, but I am sure there are leagues that are more tournament-like. Once I hit the tee pad, I try to take a couple extra seconds to "get into the shot", shut out the distractions and bring back the game to me and the course.
I do the same on each shot. I try not to abandon my pre putting routine. Outside of that, leagues are a nice change of pace, to me. I enjoy the looser atmosphere and I am quicker to dismiss a poor round.....heck, it is a lot better than work.

I try to use the tee pad as solace. League and all the circus that sometimes accompany it, can be distracting, and certainly much different than tournament play. I say this, but I am sure there are leagues that are more tournament-like. Once I hit the tee pad, I try to take a couple extra seconds to "get into the shot", shut out the distractions and bring back the game to me and the course.
I do the same on each shot. I try not to abandon my pre putting routine. Outside of that, leagues are a nice change of pace, to me. I enjoy the looser atmosphere and I am quicker to dismiss a poor round.....heck, it is a lot better than work.

Lots of good thoughts in this post. Thanks!

There are certain types of courses that I feel my strengths allow me to do very well and others that I feel Force me to use pieces of my game that ar more average. I'm orderly capable of playing 975-1050 golf on a course where my ability to throw a lot of varied lines and is a bit longer I play well.

On shorter courses that are wooded, and golf course style courses that are essentially straight shot after straight shot I feel like a very average player.

Nope. I only play casual and rarely bother to count strokes. Played dubs for cash with my buddies Sunday, had no idea about the score until the other team was handing me money. Apparently we won both rounds. Just have to figure out what I'm going to do with my $2. Probably pay the paperboy.

Attachments

• $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 26
Nope. I only play casual and rarely bother to count strokes. Played dubs for cash with my buddies Sunday, had no idea about the score until the other team was handing me money. Apparently we won both rounds. Just have to figure out what I'm going to do with my $2. Probably pay the paperboy.

Thanks
Now that song is stuck in my head.

Something I read about Ken Climo has always stuck with me. Paraphrasing here, but he basically said it's exhausting to focus 100% on golf through an entire round. Instead, he focuses 110% during the 10 to 30 seconds it takes him to pick a disc, line up a shot, and execute the shot. There is no time to think about the spit out on the last hole, or the silly OB 2 holes ago. Just focus on throwing the best throw he can make at that moment. The rest of the time he tries to enjoy the round; being outside, the views, card mates, whatever. In this manner, he only spends 20 minutes or so each round in that highly focused performance zone, and no time on negative feelings that build, cause stress, and lead to worse and worse shots.

In my experience, my best rounds are when I do just that. It allows me to forget bad shots, spit outs, and painful tree kicks, and focus on each shot. A round is a collection of throws. If you focus on each throw, and make the best play for each particular throw, the sum of a bunch of good shots is a great score.

Something I read about Ken Climo has always stuck with me. Paraphrasing here, but he basically said it's exhausting to focus 100% on golf through an entire round. Instead, he focuses 110% during the 10 to 30 seconds it takes him to pick a disc, line up a shot, and execute the shot. There is no time to think about the spit out on the last hole, or the silly OB 2 holes ago. Just focus on throwing the best throw he can make at that moment. The rest of the time he tries to enjoy the round; being outside, the views, card mates, whatever. In this manner, he only spends 20 minutes or so each round in that highly focused performance zone, and no time on negative feelings that build, cause stress, and lead to worse and worse shots.

In my experience, my best rounds are when I do just that. It allows me to forget bad shots, spit outs, and painful tree kicks, and focus on each shot. A round is a collection of throws. If you focus on each throw, and make the best play for each particular throw, the sum of a bunch of good shots is a great score.

This is precisely how I play tournament rounds, and it typically pays off.
I guess my problem is not being able to tune people out that are getting to me during a league round. Like, "Dude, can you not recap every throw you take, right after you take it. We all saw the disc when you threw it.".

I have three modes really.
One i am alone and i am trying to better my score.
Two i am alone and i am trying to work on something (forehand, Rollers, etc)
Three i am playing doubles, and i generally end up playing as the more conservitave partner.

In a tournament setting I'm usually focused and in the "zone".

In a normal league round, I'm playing against my cardmates, which usually results in a worse score, especially if I'm behind.

In a handicapped round, I'm playing the course, knowing I have the extra strokes to help me out, thus I shoot better than normal rounds.

In doubles, my partner is told simply to just put it in a safe position, and I can go for it. I'm a very good dubs partner, so much so, that no one wants to play dubs against me.

This is precisely how I play tournament rounds, and it typically pays off.
I guess my problem is not being able to tune people out that are getting to me during a league round. Like, "Dude, can you not recap every throw you take, right after you take it. We all saw the disc when you threw it.".

Oh my God... we played with a guy like that 3 years ago he was trying to get the Gold jacket which is awarded to our league player with the most points at the end of the season... just painful to play with him, I'm glad he has enough self confidence or whatever to continually go off about it but boy it's tough staying in my happy place with that jackass in my ear. On the plus side we mellowed him out enough that he has a wife and kids and stays on his own Island now... damn guy is damn good too makes for a good villain sometimes it makes you play better just to knock him down..

Personally I find the group I play with the biggest issue for my round: league, tournament or casual it doesn't matter to me as much any more.. I just do what I do... Self involved blabber mouths and slow play get me down the most. If I'm bombing it's tough to come back after a bad 18, that's when it is ace run time and I can't kid myself anymore. That's where a tournament setting helps because I stay conservative longer to try and get a payout.. Sometimes it turns out way better then I think. Lumped it out for a decent average score last tourney and won my division and shot top score tied with open, I didn't think I was doing that good.

I suppose I got a few modes, also.

Rec by myself (with the pup): I don't care about my overall score, and will sometimes throw a couple tee shots just to try and correct my line/couple putts for the same thing. Mindset is usually thinking of other things like "my day."

Rec with friends (some of which are competitive): I will always have fun, but I am competitive and will try to "win." If I feel I am "winning" I may try different lines throughout the round. But, again, it doesn't matter in the end.

League: I play competitive and take my time, but generally know my cardmates and enjoy the local banter/camaraderie. I want to win, well, cash, but I won't really get upset if I don't or miss lines or putts. Move on to the next hole pretty easy.

Tourney: pretty much spend too much time thinking about tourneys up until they happen (I really like playing disc golf). First few holes are always a bit shaky, but I typically smooth out. I will have an enjoyable time, but have a tendency to get in my head and sometimes can't let a previous hole go that easy. I enjoy meeting new people, and won't let my poor play effect them. You know, put up a facade. I wish I could play more tourneys..

i experience this when i'm out course bagging. i'm way more focused on keeping a quick pace (which often translates to safer play) so i can hit more courses during the day, navigating an unknown course, and making mental notes about the course. i invariably have some of my best rounds in these circumstances.

i'm sure the rhythm has a lot to do with it but i also wonder if playing on unfamiliar courses is good for your score. you don't have those past rounds weighing you down and all the muscle memory and psychological trauma of those bad shots on your home course.

i also wonder if playing on unfamiliar courses is good for your score

Very likely can be. You don't have the weight of expectations on your shots, you just play with making the best shot in mind and not trying to recreate previous good experiences.

I know I get bogged down with expectations sometimes on courses I play a lot. But when I went to rollin ridge for the first time earlier this month, I played pretty darn good, focusing on hitting lines and playing placement shots when needed.

There's no rhyme or reason for me it seems. Sometimes I need to turn myself into an emotionless robot to play well, sometimes I need to go through the motions to play well. Figuring out which mode I need to be in is a big part of keeping a good round going for me.

The struggle between fun/social and competitive tournament rounds is real. I tend to agree with BrotherDave, the more I detach myself from the social/casual rounds the better I play.

Latest posts