• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you sign your discs?

Do you sign your discs?

• yes

Votes: 116 79.5%
  • no

Votes: 30 20.5%

• Total voters
In your opinion, but your opinion may not have any legal standing. Just because you can't find something that's lost doesn't mean that it's been abandoned.

sorry to harp on this, but that's not opinion. the definition of abandoned reads "forsaken by owner or inhabitants" which you are doing when you leave it behind. and my opinion does have legal precedence considering that possession is 9/10 the law even if you name and number are printed on a disc. you would have to provide a proof of sale slip with the exact weight, make, model and time/date of sale. which i'm sure we all keep lying around.

I've put my info on them before, but not one call...

If I want to trade or sell them, the ink reduces their value...

If I ever play in a tourney, I think you're supposed to have identifying marks on your discs... until then, they are just as I bought them.

sorry to harp on this, but that's not opinion. the definition of abandoned reads "forsaken by owner or inhabitants" which you are doing when you leave it behind. and my opinion does have legal precedence considering that possession is 9/10 the law even if you name and number are printed on a disc. you would have to provide a proof of sale slip with the exact weight, make, model and time/date of sale. which i'm sure we all keep lying around.

Uninked discs would easily fall into the abandoned category, but your argument starts to get shaky when the following definition of abandonment is used:

Abandonment in law, is the relinquishment or renunciation of an interest, claim, privilege, possession or right, especially with the intent of never again resuming or reasserting it.

Name and number on the disc would indicate that the original owner has intent on again resuming or reasserting their property. The phrase "Possession is 9/10 of the law" is awfully convenient as an expression, but it's not a solid example of legal precedence.

Unfortunately, this ground has been covered before in many other threads but frequently falls on blind eyes. The law doesn't change based on the piece of property lost. For example, if a wallet is lost in a mall and the owner searches the mall as best as they can but they are unable to locate the item, the wallet doesn't become the property of the person that happens upon it. The same applies to discs that have identifiable information.

All I did was put W. Kelly on the bottom. I don't have any expensive discs yet (I've got the Innova starter set and an extra Shark I got for my daughter to use when she golfs with me), so if I lose one and it never comes back I won't cry too much. If I had a disc that worked really well for me, or something I had spent a bunch of money on or had customized dye on or something, I'd probably put more on it to hopefully get it back.

Yeah, ive also numbered my discs (along the lines of photos of on page 1 but not nearly THAT ocd :D )
the park we play in, alot of people havent seen disc golf , so ive written "golf disc" on them as well.. hoping that if someone finds it they dont think its some R10 ($1) frisbee thats not worth the phone call/e-mail... only discs ive got back were from fellow players, sure most have been found by non players.

I've been considering marking the rim of my fairway drivers (all E-Pro Assassins) with hash marks as follows:

I - New, out of the box
II - A little used, fairly straight, some fade
III - Perfectly seasoned, straight
IIII - Getting beat, flippy

As the discs age, I just cycle through and remove the oldest IIII, toss a new disc in the bag and add a "I" to each disc.

Uninked discs would easily fall into the abandoned category, but your argument starts to get shaky when the following definition of abandonment is used:

Name and number on the disc would indicate that the original owner has intent on again resuming or reasserting their property. The phrase "Possession is 9/10 of the law" is awfully convenient as an expression, but it's not a solid example of legal precedence.

Unfortunately, this ground has been covered before in many other threads but frequently falls on blind eyes. The law doesn't change based on the piece of property lost. For example, if a wallet is lost in a mall and the owner searches the mall as best as they can but they are unable to locate the item, the wallet doesn't become the property of the person that happens upon it. The same applies to discs that have identifiable information.

fair enough, if you want to sue someone for possession of the disc go for it. have fun with the legal fees.

but you're honestly going to tell me that your going to walk up to a kid and take a disc from him, just because they got lucky and found the disc? who cares that your name was on it, that's just kind of a dick move. i've run into people throwing my old discs and it's an exchange that goes something like this; "hey that's my old disc, where'd you find it?" in reply, "in the middle of the pond on six" to what i say, "wow, i'm a jackass, take it easy." i don't take a disc from someone that happened upon it by blind luck. it' not like they took it out of my bag. i took it out, threw it poorly, and then left it because hell if i could find it.

fair enough, if you want to sue someone for possession of the disc go for it. have fun with the legal fees.

but you're honestly going to tell me that your going to walk up to a kid and take a disc from him, just because they got lucky and found the disc? who cares that your name was on it, that's just kind of a dick move. i've run into people throwing my old discs and it's an exchange that goes something like this; "hey that's my old disc, where'd you find it?" in reply, "in the middle of the pond on six" to what i say, "wow, i'm a jackass, take it easy." i don't take a disc from someone that happened upon it by blind luck. it' not like they took it out of my bag. i took it out, threw it poorly, and then left it because hell if i could find it.

Easy on the assumptions there. I never said I was going to take a disc from a kid. I was simply debating the legality of keeping lost plastic. The interaction that would take place if I came across someone throwing my lost (and inked) plastic would be situationally-dependent and would likely vary based on the circumstances.

Morally speaking, it's BS if you find a disc with contact information on it and decide to bag it instead of at least trying contacting the person...it shows a real lack of character. If you try to make contact with the original owner and the person is unreachable or there isn't a reasonable way to get the disc back in their hands, then you've done your part and you can bag the disc knowing you did the right thing.

Easy on the assumptions there. I never said I was going to take a disc from a kid. I was simply debating the legality of keeping lost plastic. The interaction that would take place if I came across someone throwing my lost (and inked) plastic would be situationally-dependent and would likely vary based on the circumstances.

Morally speaking, it's BS if you find a disc with contact information on it and decide to bag it instead of at least trying contacting the person...it shows a real lack of character. If you try to make contact with the original owner and the person is unreachable or there isn't a reasonable way to get the disc back in their hands, then you've done your part and you can bag the disc knowing you did the right thing.

sorry, i don't mean to sound like an *******. i understand where you are coming from, i just don't expect anyone to try and give me back a disc i've already given up on. i guess it's from never getting a call, and i've lost quite a few (more than i'd like to admit) all with name and number.

I must say though that your idea with the hash marks to indicate wear is a really good idea. i hate when i have two discs (usually one of my rocs, i carry six) that are the same color and stamp but worn differently and can't remember which is which.

There is no excuse to keep a disc that isn't yours. The sport is about giving, not taking.
:(

Word. How can people keep something with a name/number on it and just molest it. I could not keep a disc that had a number on it, my karma meter would be at zero, and I would play like crap because of it. I know a lot of people out there do use and keep discs with names and numbers on them, and I say shame on you. The only exception to this is if you find it in water, then I think its fair if you got wet to get the disc you deserve to be able to keep it. I would still call if I found it in water, but that's just me. Quit molesting discs that don't belong to you!!

Biz
Team Bert

My pops found a disc that didnt have a name or number on it but it did say..."If you find this disc...well *&$% You! haha :D

I must say though that your idea with the hash marks to indicate wear is a really good idea. i hate when i have two discs (usually one of my rocs, i carry six) that are the same color and stamp but worn differently and can't remember which is which.

I'd love to take credit for this little brainfart, but I got the idea a few months back after seeing all the essays that Midnight Biker writes all over his discs. If you try it out, let me know how well it works. I'll do the same if I actually get around to doing it.

I found a disc that has initials and a peace sign on it. All it needed was a few numbers inked on it and some kid would have their disc back. It's mine now :D

I had my Cyclone fall out of my bag once and I got a call about 5 minutes later from someone else on the course. Worked out great.

When I buy a new disc, I use it for 2-3 rounds then put my name/number on it. My reasoning is that if I lose a disc in that short amount of time, it probably wasn't meant to be anyway and someone else might do better with it. The other reason is that if I hate it, I can sell it as 9.5/10 without ink and recoup most of my cost. Which reminds me... my new Stalker and Comet have a meeting with a Sharpie tonight :)

It is not your responsibility to return my discs if I lose them, even if it has my number on it. I've found discs and was on the way to bringing them to the pro shop at the end of the course and can't remember the details but the discs got back to their owners. The cool thing I've experienced is when my kids loose a disc in the trees or in the water and some guy with a HUGE tourney bag comes along and gives my kid a star wraith or something, brand new, no ink, that has happened a couple of times, so cool. If you find my disc, cool, return it or keep it, no big deal, your choice, I lost it.

I was through with it (the disc) before you knew what to do with it.

Peace.

While looking for a disc of mine the other day, I came across two DX destroyers with only initials (same initials for both) on them. Both discs were within about 50 feet of each other. But the strangest thing is that someone decided to use two different destroyers on a ~250ft hole! :p

Latest posts