• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you use an upshot form?

I find what works for me is to use a fan grip or a modified power grip, depending how far I am away, and power down, and my shots will more often than not stay on the path I put them on. If I'm really close to the pin, but still outside of my putting range, I throw using my putting grip and power down even more. Grab some cones, take them to the field, and set them at 50' marks all the way out to 200', and throw as close as you can to them.

I use a combo of many of the above suggestions. If left side is open, OS fairway sidearm hyzer with height to stick or low for a skip. If right side is open I hyzer an OS putter. If nether of those are good choices I do the Uli. Kind of hit or miss with that though. I definitely get the most drop-in putts from the high hyzer sidearm, and I am predominately backhand.

I've been throwing a Star Aviar for all my upshot stuff now. Elbow up, my arm seems to be more out away from my body and its more of a floaty shot rather than a straight show unless ceiling or wind is present. In windy situations with an open left side, I'll flick either a Moab or Firebird at it. I do agree, the "snap" isn't present on my upshots either. If I'm throwing a big anny shot with a putter the "snap" is there, but not much.

I thought it was funny, in the video, when he was showing what not to do, he hit the pole, almost made the shot. It was the closest shot of the video, (though I didn't watch the whole thing).

Sidearm is very helpful on upshots.

I still throw backhand for almost everything though. I just change my disc selection. Don't really do anything different.

If it's a r-l crosswind I'll throw something neutral flat. If it's the opposite I'll throw something os flat. If it's a headwind I'll throw something os flat or on a spike. If it's a tailwind I'll throw something neutral or us flat.

My main upshot discs are my comet, my beat kc aviar and a dog disc. The dog disc has done wonders for my approach game inside 150. That's where I'm most likely to fluff shots because it just feels too close for backhand. It's much easier for me to flick than a putter, too.

Also the stego and the h1 make hyzer approaches automatic. Aim right, let go.

THIS!

I do that not only because I am a Sidearm player in 90% of my throws. Putting is only "backhand"-throw in my game aside from lies I HAVE to play backhand.

Sidearm gives me the ultimate possibility to aim for the basket. I can not drive far (260 consistent; 300-top) with my Sidearm. BUT 70%-80% of my upshots are "parked" ;)

I found that not turning my head away, keeping my eye on the target and shortening my reachback on standstill upshots really helped me become much more accurate. Also using a less stable disc with very little power helps a lot. For that short of a shot I don't feel there is a need to turn your head away from the target

Play a bunch of catch at this distance with your actual putters or mids and you'll learn that touch quickly. Play as if you are standing still with your foot behind your mini.

All my upshot are standstill. I find that with my backhand, placing my feet correctly (right foot forward of back foot with respect to my line to the basket) is the main thing, then I vary how much I reach back (i.e. rotate my upper body) or which disc I throw (mid, putter, even Firebird if shooting for a skip) to control disctance. It certainly helps to work with your discs to develop a feel for them. These "touch" shots help you not hit obstacles and not overthrow your target.

As Koda said, forehand upshots are money. Add them and your score card will thank you. I throw these standstill as well, which is convenient for bad disc positions. Some overhand and roller upshots are handy as well. I played a round this morning and needed a forehand roller and tomahawk on two holes after poor tee shots.

I second the FH upshots, preferably with a OS putter (zone is my current choice) to remove the possibility for stupid happening (ie i forget its a putter and turn it over). Given an open field 175+ I'll BH my zone as I can get a solid rip on a big hyzer. Any closer than that and its a FH with the zone if I have the room. I have grown so confident I am also now using a FH shot for R>L by throwing a small anny flex with my zone and I have that dialed in. I really wish I could throw BH touch shots for those but that outside of jump putt to short to "throw" just perplex me backhand.

The fun thing is when you can throw touch flex shots like that you get awesome reactions from guys that don't know you. I was messing around at a practice round with a good player the other day and had a tough lie that really a BH hyzer would be perfect (~150'). So I ask him what he'd throw and he looks at it, says his stable putter on a hyzer. I say I was thinking about a zone....he agrees it would work...and I then tell him FH. He looks at me like I'm 'special' and laughs. Throw the FH flex line and its touching the pole.

I started out with a Gator, and I still use it for most upshots under 200'. I used to try calculating the fade and then aiming to the right of the basket, but this wasn't very consistent. Now I do a flex shot at shoulder height with an anny. With enough snap and a low line I can send this straight with no fade. I'm far more accurate when fade isn't involved.

I second the FH upshots, preferably with a OS putter (zone is my current choice) to remove the possibility for stupid happening (ie i forget its a putter and turn it over). Given an open field 175+ I'll BH my zone as I can get a solid rip on a big hyzer. Any closer than that and its a FH with the zone if I have the room. I have grown so confident I am also now using a FH shot for R>L by throwing a small anny flex with my zone and I have that dialed in. I really wish I could throw BH touch shots for those but that outside of jump putt to short to "throw" just perplex me backhand.

The fun thing is when you can throw touch flex shots like that you get awesome reactions from guys that don't know you. I was messing around at a practice round with a good player the other day and had a tough lie that really a BH hyzer would be perfect (~150'). So I ask him what he'd throw and he looks at it, says his stable putter on a hyzer. I say I was thinking about a zone....he agrees it would work...and I then tell him FH. He looks at me like I'm 'special' and laughs. Throw the FH flex line and its touching the pole.

THIS.

When I first started playing I learned to throw backhand for everything because my sidearm sucked. I could throw turnovers pretty accurately, but I went away to college and the new course wasn't as open. So if I was a couple feet off the fairway, I learned to grab a zone and step way out to the right and throw a little flex shot. I could put it almost where I wanted everytime. I've hit the basket a ton and made a few from the 100-150ft range. And each of those shots were coming down at an angle that if they were to miss, it'd still be within 10ft. But every once in a while, during a round I'll have a wide open shot at the same distance and I will convince myself that I should be throwing backhand instead of sidearm. So I'll grab a putter and throw backhand. But lately, I've been messing up terribly because it just doesn't feel right anymore. I'll be sticking with the zone, sidearm shot more often. Way more predictable for me.

Last edited: