• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dochammer's Form Journal

Dochammer

Hi all,

I've hesitated posting on here for sometime — I find I take pride being able to assess and correct mistakes in my form, but lately I've felt lost while debugging and hope a fresh set of eyes will help. I've digested a lot of the material posted on DCGR over the years, and greatly enjoy the continued discussion to dissect form and help others learn.

Some background. I've been throwing frisbees since I was a teen, but only in the past 3 years started playing disc golf regularly. I go through phases of doing a lot of form work to doing none at all — either to incorporate something or because information overload.

At the moment I can comfortably hit 300'-325' with a fairway driver, and if I try hard I can push a distance driver over 400'. However, big distance isn't my main goal — I'd much prefer to have a clean, efficient form with good mechanics (Brad Williams form is my favorite, though he is likely not the best model for me).

As of late I've been working on getting more separation between my lower and upper body — it feels like my front foot hits the ground and then everything comes forward. I've noticed part of it is I start to "reach back" too early, so I incorporated a small pump to help with timing (not shown in the vids). It also feels like I get stuck on my rear foot and can't fully shift into my brace before my upper body comes through. Too me it looks like I am tipping over my rear leg forward onto my front leg, but I can't seem to correct this.

Looking forward to working with you all

Back and Side View:
https://vimeo.com/742266269

There should only be a couple inches of stagger stance in this drill so your force is more inline...

Open to Closed Drill should help.

Nothing major to report, only subtle feels. After a few days with the drills, mostly loaded bow and open/closed I went back to the field.

Back swing timing is slowly improving. I forget to pump most throws, so will stop with it for now and focus on other parts.

Loading the bow has helped me realize how much more I can rotate my shoulders in the backswing -- this is more pronounced if I throw shortly after doing the drill. I plan to spend some more time with this drill, if anything the stretch feels nice.

Open/closed has me playing around with my plant foot. I'm currently trying to keep it lower, stride less far, striding more inline, and getting the foot down quick.

I misunderstood Simon's stride believing it was wide/long when I original tried to incorporate it in to my own form a while back -- the breakdown in the video was helpful to understand what he does.

Side/Back/Front
https://vimeo.com/743589129

TIL: To step through frames with Vimeo, pause the video and use shift+left/right arrow keys.

Who are some pros that are be examples of each technique? I'll give both drills a try.

Wiggins is showing an example from the 3rd gif in the first link above.

Kristin Tattar is very inline and neutral like Brinster in the beginning of the Buttwipe video above. Gibson and Ezra also have relatively inline neutral strides.

There's a lot to learn from Simon's form but his action swinging off the rear leg into the stride is very challenging to do correctly and I don't think all body types can do it. It likely adds important torque to his throw but you can learn to throw very far without it.

Thanks, the inline and inline neutral stride seems clear.

I understand (I think) how the elephant walk looks from a standstill, but I'm curious to see some examples of it looks coming out of a run up.

Thanks, the inline and inline neutral stride seems clear.

I understand (I think) how the elephant walk looks from a standstill, but I'm curious to see some examples of it looks coming out of a run up.
It's a drill, but here's Wiggins basically doing it...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Gotcha. I hope to record myself doing the elephant walk, it feels like a natural way to feel weight shift and backswing timing -- I'll be curious how it looks recorded.

On the spectrum of stride styles (inline, neutral, staggered/wider), where would Tristian Tanner's land? https://imgur.com/a/QdAAvml Watching his performance at worlds this past week, I've come to enjoy his form.

Tanner on the extreme staggered end, kind of most similar to elephant walk.

Latest posts