• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone else get THAT reaction?

I almost always get the "what, frisbee?" kind of reactions, and I've been working on a good analogy to explain the difference between frisbees and golf discs. The best I've thought of-- well, its probably stupid, but I like it-- is to say "a frisbee is to most discs as croquet clubs are to most golf clubs." They get the message, at least I think so...but sometimes I get a confused look and think maybe people don't know croquet is? Damn.

We've had picnic sitters on a busy course I play often, usually on a big downhill hole that is the most fun on the course, and verbal warnings have gone unheeded. A fair yell of "fore!" and a disc going overhead at high speed always changes their minds. I don't know if you have heard it yourselves, but a disc drive going past your head makes a very cool loud hissing sound that is impossible to ignore...but be careful if you try to hear it yourselves!

That's Gay is sort of an older term not used that much as it once was. - especially since everything is PC nowadays but it's the same thing as "Thats lame" , "That's dumb", "That sucks"
I remember using it as far back as i remember when i definitely didnt know what gay really meant.

I heard it's the next big retro phrase in '09 and will refer to homosexuality. Also making a comeback are far out, groovy, and sit-on-it.:D

I know that groups off non golfers at the course are annoyiong but...... Take care not to put anyone in danger yall.

801.01 Courtesy
A. Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present. Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.

I know I've mentioned that I mostly play on a course on a college campus in what feels like every post I've made on these boards, but I have a question about what you just posted, DGtourist.

Let's say I make my drive, and while my disc is in the air someone comes around the corner of a building and gets jacked in the face by my disc. There's no way I can legally be at fault, right? If the person is seriously injured, and there was nothing I could do to prevent it, there's no way I am liable, right?

I know I've mentioned that I mostly play on a course on a college campus in what feels like every post I've made on these boards, but I have a question about what you just posted, DGtourist.

Let's say I make my drive, and while my disc is in the air someone comes around the corner of a building and gets jacked in the face by my disc. There's no way I can legally be at fault, right? If the person is seriously injured, and there was nothing I could do to prevent it, there's no way I am liable, right?
I'm no lawyer, but unless you are rich you probably should not worry. My lawyer friends say rule # 1 in law is "never sue poor people."

They WILL sue the pants off of IIT (because that is where the money is) and probably get the course removed in the process.

A couple friends of mine call the game "gay"....but not me. I guess cause I only play with my wife. Other friends call me a hippy when I bring up playing occasionally. I sorta lace some conversations with disc golf peppered in now and again to check for signs of curiousity. Like I'll tell them that ive been losing alot of weight from eating less, not drinking soda and playing disc golf...haha.

Its gotta be more of an outsider speculation and quick judgement on the type of people that would be interested in the sport. My first thought when I was driving to play for the first time, was that I'd be running into alot of semi-nerdy college kids. And then while I was playing I noticed the people were more post-college receeding hairline types.

I'll admit to being pretty skeptical about the whole "frolf" concept at first. But some of the kids that work for me kept talking about playing at a park 5 minutes away, and I finally decided to give it a shot.

They had told me that a beach frisbee was no good, so I bought an Innova starter kit, and was hooked from day one of just throwing those three discs in a field. The skill needed to throw well completely took me by surprise.

The response I've gotten has been very favorable. My wife likes to play as long as she feels that no "good players" are watching. She started as a noodle-arm, but can throw a half decent drive now.
My father-in-law, who never completely left the 1970's, is a natural and had a blast when we first took him out to play.

I'm still working on getting some other friends into the game, but it's just a matter of finding time to go throw rather than any negative concept of disc golf.

"Gay"? No.

Having only taken a freshman business law class, have no clue.

A couple friends of mine call the game "gay"....but not me. I guess cause I only play with my wife. Other friends call me a hippy when I bring up playing occasionally. I sorta lace some conversations with disc golf peppered in now and again to check for signs of curiousity. Like I'll tell them that ive been losing alot of weight from eating less, not drinking soda and playing disc golf...haha.

Its gotta be more of an outsider speculation and quick judgement on the type of people that would be interested in the sport. My first thought when I was driving to play for the first time, was that I'd be running into alot of semi-nerdy college kids. And then while I was playing I noticed the people were more post-college receeding hairline types.

Yeah, but if they had balls enough to try it out once, maybe their opinon would matter.

Just let them know they are only "HAPPY" enough to make an opinion about it without actually trying it out first. Are they so "HAPPY" that they know what "HAPPY IS, HAPPY DOES?" Now who's the man? YOU BRO! :D

My buddy has played three times with me so far...once to give it a shot, another to tag along, and another to see what a better course was like. And he plain out just doesnt like it and thinks Im crazy, and the sport is "gay"...haha

Fascination

There's a lot of people who ask what game I'm playing and find themselves marveling at the answers I provide them. "Wow, that's cool." or "I didn't know that's what that was." Personally I have not had people tell me its gay, maybe they just don't want to upset a 6'2" - 200 guy. Not sure. :)

Maybe your friend is gay-j.k.

I figured that was coming around...haha...he's not, just bustin my balls a bit.

Anyway....yeah dude I dont think strangers are just gonna walk up to you and tell you youre gay, unless theyre going out of their way to be obnoxious.

My favorite reaction is when I kinda wuss a big drive and some old timer power walking nearby says in crinkly old man voice, "That was a good throw," even though I'm visibly not happy. I just kinda laugh and say, "Yes it was, thanks."

Heard it many times, mostly from people who don't have the balls to try ANYTHING new. Everything that they know nothing about is gay. It's a defense mechanism for boring people.

Heard it many times, mostly from people who don't have the balls to try ANYTHING new. Everything that they know nothing about is gay. It's a defense mechanism for boring people.

LOL! You just pegged the hell out of a couple of my buddies! Well played sir, well played.

I just read through this...maybe people would stop calling it gay if you guys would stop cruising the local high schools and colleges to find guys to play with...

Just kidding of course...I always hear the stoner thing...last week we saw some dudes with mohawks playing and my wife said "well that blows that theory out of the water!"

My uncle who is about 60 years old got upset when I told him I played and very seriously said "don't you realize that only gay people play that sport". He had read about it in the paper. I dismissed it, figuring it was just an Austin thing since Austin has become "little San Francisco". I will ask him about the article he read to get more information.

Hmm, simply a sign of his age and what people his age think. Thats a shame.
I have no problem is a lot of gay people played this sport, but just assuming it is a "gay" sport is absurd!