• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone ever return discs?

I know the pain!

I was going to start a thread about this tonight because I have now lost 11 discs (I am not a bad player I just play alot and will try different throws sometimes that I need to get better at or will try to see how a disc will fly in certain situations. It is getting to expensive to keep that up though). and not one time have I been called. My name and number is on every disc.

Some will probably never be recovered because they went in to the water but most did not.

I always call and try to return them. I will even ask around to some of the other locals to see if they know the person who's name is on the disc. I even returned a Innova practice basket someone left at the course.

Why are so many creeps out there? It makes me mad!

I had to get this off my chest. Thanks all!

Uhm....did you happen to ask them how they lost it?..

Thats like losing your child.

I have lost one disc(name & number on it) and never got a call... In the year that I have been playing, I have found 15 or so discs... Only a couple have had numbers, and I either contacted the person, or tried to... I did get a callback from one guy, but he never did come to get his Magnet... I make every effort to get the disc back to the person if the disc has his/her info on it...

It's just bad karma not calling people back, and with my game I need as much good karma as I can get. I just don't feel right keeping a disc that I know belongs to someone else.

I guess I'm sitting in the position of, if somebody dropped $20 out on the course, and you're stumbling around the woods and come across it, are you going to call the number and ask if they want it back if it has one on it? Not the best example, I know, but I see it as much the same.

If the name is somebody I know, definitely I'll give it back.
If the person comes up and says its theirs after I get it, definitely give it back.
If I find it in a stream where with ice still on the edges and a 20 foot vertical bank to get down to it, and it's visible from the top of the bank, I'm not going to worry about it.
If it is worth it to them, the person will find it. I am a very firm believe in this, and I don't truly see how you can say you just can't find it. I've spent many hours rummaging through poison ivy and nettles looking for my discs. I keep looking because it is worth it to me to find them. If its a disc I don't care about I'll say "**** it, lets keep playing."

EDIT: I guess I don't see the whole name/number on the disc being completely valid. I've seen several people on the course with sharpies specifically to write their names on a disc as soon as they find one. I've seen it done on blind throws. I don't take it as meaning it is theirs.

Last edited:
I guess I'm sitting in the position of, if somebody dropped $20 out on the course, and you're stumbling around the woods and come across it, are you going to call the number and ask if they want it back if it has one on it? Not the best example, I know, but I see it as much the same.

If the name is somebody I know, definitely I'll give it back.
If the person comes up and says its theirs after I get it, definitely give it back.
If I find it in a stream where with ice still on the edges and a 20 foot vertical bank to get down to it, and it's visible from the top of the bank, I'm not going to worry about it.
If it is worth it to them, the person will find it. I am a very firm believe in this, and I don't truly see how you can say you just can't find it. I've spent many hours rummaging through poison ivy and nettles looking for my discs. I keep looking because it is worth it to me to find them. If its a disc I don't care about I'll say "**** it, lets keep playing."

EDIT: I guess I don't see the whole name/number on the disc being completely valid. I've seen several people on the course with sharpies specifically to write their names on a disc as soon as they find one. I've seen it done on blind throws. I don't take it as meaning it is theirs.

yet another DGer that I hope doesnt start playing my home course.

Meh...I'll get singled out in an instance like this, but I know the majority of players on anybody's course do the same things.

Meh...I'll get singled out in an instance like this, but I know the majority of players on anybody's course do the same things.

maybe they do where you live. Or maybe you just think they do.

I know some of the course owners where I play regularly, and taking a disc that doesn't belong to you off from their course is considered theft.

Its really a very simple topic and people try all kinds of way to justify stealing.

If you find a disc with no ink - turn in to a lost in found if there is one or if not one then do what you want with it.

Find disc with ink - The owner of this disk took the time to put their contact info on their property so that if they "lose" it ( not "leave it") they can be contacted to go get it back. The ink expressly implies they WANT they're stuff back. You deciding its now yours because you happened to find it before the rightful owner did is ridiculous. Would your mom or grandmother agree that the right thing for you to do is keep that disc?

And as for my area, people here must tend to be more honest. Ive gotten every disc ive misplaced back, and Ive returned more than i can recall.

I choose to foster a DG environment where people are courteous of others because thats the sport I love. I dont want to play in a sport where thieves are rampant.

Point being, your attitude on this subject promotes a much more negative atmosphere in the DG sport in general. You trying to convince others that your views on stealing discs are not only OK but perfectly justified blows my mind.

Last edited:
I'm not hoping to convince others it is correct. I sincerely doubt that is possible, especially while sitting behind a computer. I think the ideal of this is great, but it just isn't a reality. I have friends who have lost 30+ discs combined with their names on them. To this date I believe they have had only two or three returned. I don't keep most of them as I posted before, as they have no real value to me. I'm not sweating as I stole something. I play in a college town where the majority of golfers are extremely recreational. There is no "lost and found" and the majority of discs I've found don't have numbers on them. I think the box of founds I have at home has two with numbers on them, both of which were fished out of a creek in the scenario I posted about above. Both DX plastics, and I'm sure they were replaced before I ever found them, but if not, they are out $7. Seeing as how they would have been able to see the disc from the bank, I am assuming they thought they would rather pay $7 than get in water barely above freezing. But like I said, to each their own. You have your philosophy and I have mine. If I played a round with you and you put one in the woods, I would be completely fine with searching for over an hour till it was found. I would be fine with going chest deep into a pond and feeling around with my feet. If I saw you put one in the woods, I would point you in the right direction. But if I find a disc that has been out there for awhile, I'll give it to a kid or new player. Just what I do.

Returned discs

People around Asheville are pretty good about it. I have name, phone, and email on reverse of every disc I own. I have one I found here at my office. I called the # on back and the guy is coming by today to get it. Then again- some people aren't very altruistic or sportsmanlike. Key # 1 is watch disc until it lands and search hard.

I would not consider it theft it someone did not return MY disc that has MY phone number on it.
I would however consider the person who found it and willfully did not call me a POS.

We, like most of the local boards I look at, have a lost and found. This seems to work out pretty good for the club members if the discs are unmarked. Sadly if you don't know to look at the board and don't mark the disc, it is a tough way to go.

I've only been playing about a month, so I've lost 0 and found 0. CAn't expect that ratio to hold on for too long though ;)

I would not consider it theft it someone did not return MY disc that has MY phone number on it.
I would however consider the person who found it and willfully did not call me a POS.

While I would return a disc (my cuz and I found a Striped Mullet Shark and called) I don't mark mine. If somebody finds it, cool, they have a new disc. It's not stealing if somebody finds a disc you lost and quit looking for, consider it your donation and move on. If you don't expect your discs to be returned then it's even cooler when you DO get a call from somebody with a tiny bit of morals.

To those saying turn it in to lost and found. There is none at my home course
There is no club or league at my home course
95% of the people there are rec, and 98% of all discs I find are DX

Since you guys seem to think jd and I are terrible horrible people for keeping (to date one disc with a number on it) a disc someone left behind, I'll ask this. How long do you look for your discs before giving in? I lost my favorite disc last night, searched for about 20 minutes with the group of four I was with and then we finished the round. I then borrowed a flash light and went looking for almost an hour after dark for it to no avail. I will likely go back out and search for it after work since I didn't care to get up really early and look for it. Now if it's gone and I find someone on the course that has found it. It is theirs. I will ask them if i can buy or trade for it back, but I'm not expecting handouts from strangers. I"ll likely just go replace the disc I lost and continue on. Do you wait around for 2 months without your favorite driver, or do you replace it? By replacing it, you have forfeit the idea of getting that disc back.

I look at it the same way as a job. You can dress up nicely, put a lot of HARD WORK and MONEY into your clothes and appearance, and into your resume for the interview (buying disc). You get the job and you are happy and enjoy the job (using disc). Now if you stop going to work or doing their job (stop looking for the disc), should you be able to work there any longer?

I lost my Star Coyote with a custom dye on hole #16 at Mac Gregor Park in Houston. If you have ever played that course, you know the hole, and you know if you disc goes over the fence and lands in that tall grass between the fence and the bayou, you are screwed.

We had to walk to the next block, just to be able to cross the fence, and we searched in the 3 foot grass for an hour. We found a JLS and a DX Aviar, but that was it. There was three of us searching.

2 weeks later, I get a phone call off that disc. A guy playing in the tournament lost his disc in the same spot and found my disc. I met him that night, and I offered him money or plastic, but he wanted neither, he just wanted to return my disc. I can't remember the guys name, but he was a great person . I thought that disc was gone forever.

Ive spent hours looking for discs before, had to quit from lack of light or course closing, and come back the next day to look more. If you stumble across my disc, with my # on it and keep it then not only are you taking my disc but now im wasting time trying to find something thats gone. And how do you know how long a disc you find has been there. What if the dude in the party ahead of your tossed it and plans to finish his round with his friends then come back and look. You've ruined his chances.

If I accidentally left my wallet next to you on a bus, you can A) contact me with via the info inside of it to return it, or B) give it to the bus company to hold on to to either contact me or I contact them, or C) give it to the police and they would contact. By Your reasoning you would go with D) and keep it, I obviously "gave it up" by not returning and finding it before you did.

If you agree that you'd go with D then theres no further point in talking with you, as you're honestly not the type of person I like to associate with.

If on the other hand you'd choose one of the other options, then I suggest you consider that a wallet and a disc are no different in how you should handle them if you find it. And much like with a wallet, if there isnt any way to contact the owner and you've done what you could, by law it would become yours. But skipping the steps of trying to find the owner right to the keeping it part constitutes theft. Like it or not.

How long do you look for your discs before giving in?

I lost a CE Valk last summer. Our group of four looked for over an hour, it got dark and we were chased from the park by the park staff. I called in a vacation day the next day and was out there at the butt crack off dawn. I did find it. I wold not have done that for just any disc.

I lost a CE Valk last summer. Our group of four looked for over an hour, it got dark and we were chased from the park by the park staff. I called in a vacation day the next day and was out there at the butt crack off dawn. I did find it. I wold not have done that for just any disc.

thank you. Exactly the example I was using above. I'm sure you n I are arent alone on the list of people who have done that, and will go to lengths to get a favored disc back (provided someone doesnt steal it first).

Latest posts