• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone ever return discs?

If its cheap DX, I let it go. I might look for a few minutes. If its a favorite disc, I will hold up a tournament to find it.

All that crap is moot. You find a disc with a name and number... you call. It's just basic common decency.

But it isn't a common decency in all areas. I know it isn't in mine. And I don't see the point of trying to convince people otherwise. What was the point of the thread's question? For everybody to say "Yes, I call. I return discs. I'm a great person."? The OP asked a question and because people have a different outlook due to circumstance or personal morals/values, you flame them for it.

This is an forum, and people speak their mind. He gave a reason to his outlook on the matter, as have I, which as far as I'm concerned was the point of this thread.

What if the dude in the party ahead of your tossed it and plans to finish his round with his friends then come back and look. You've ruined his chances.

The course where I've found all my discs is 9 holes, and you can see just about everyone on the course at certain points. I've found a disc on say hole two, saw someone on 6 and yell to them if they lost a disc. I've also completed the round and caught up to a kid on hole 1 where he was having problems driving with a disc. I started to give him some tips when he said he'd just lost his driver on #3, where I had just found a red DX viking i believe it was with no name or number. I asked what it was, he said it was a red disc and he just bought it so he forgot what type it was, i pulled out the viking and gave it to him. It was the right one.

If I accidentally left my wallet next to you on a bus, you can A) contact me with via the info inside of it to return it, or B) give it to the bus company to hold on to to either contact me or I contact them, or C) give it to the police and they would contact. By Your reasoning you would go with D) and keep it, I obviously "gave it up" by not returning and finding it before you did.

A wallet has personal information detrimental to a person's finances and/or identity and cannot be referenced to a lost disc. Now if you said i found a $20 bill sitting on the seat next to me with a name and number on it would I call? No, because who knows if that was the original owner. Anybody can pick up an unmarked disc and write their name and number on it. Maybe if i start putting my name and number on all my 20's I'll get my money returned.

As to what your situation is. I would choose A, and have chosen A in the past.

thank you. Exactly the example I was using above. I'm sure you n I are arent alone on the list of people who have done that, and will go to lengths to get a favored disc back (provided someone doesnt steal it first).

No your example does not apply to anything we have said. I do not get up at the buttcrack of dawn just to go search for discs people lost the night before. By the time I get off work and get out to the course at 5, anything that I find has been lost for days or they gave up on it while it was still light out. By you searching into the night, getting run off, and then getting up early you have ensured that you will be the only one searching in that area in that time period.

What you should be arguing against is, if you leave your disc in the middle of the day and don't go searching for it later, or the next day, or even a week, do you deserve it back?

Last edited:
But it isn't a common decency in all areas. I know it isn't in mine. And I don't see the point of trying to convince people otherwise. What was the point of the thread's question? For everybody to say "Yes, I call. I return discs. I'm a great person."? The OP asked a question and because people have a different outlook due to circumstance or personal morals/values, you flame them for it.

This is an forum, and people speak their mind. He gave a reason to his outlook on the matter, as have I, which as far as I'm concerned was the point of this thread.

Why not be the one to trend the other way? Maybe you find a disc with a # and that happens to be the first disc that guy ever lost and got back. Maybe he starts to look at it differently himself and returns a disc or 2.

You're current mentality is "Other people are doing it too". Try using that defense in court. It has no sway at all in legal matters.

I'm not sure what the point of the thread was, or any of the ones like this that come up every month or so. But it always blows my mind when theres 1 or 2 people who not only admit to keeping discs that have contact info, but defend why they think its ok. How is stealing ever ok? You and the others who feel the same way say its not stealing, but if the person who owns a piece of property and you have it and dont have it and took it without the owners permission, then its stealing. Period. Where the theft occurred if moot.

because they are all pieces of property. The perceived value of them doesnt matter.

The value of a wallet comes from what it contains, not what the wallet itself is. There is a big difference between the two. In any case its not like you throw you're wallet in the woods somewhere and then stop looking for it.

A wallet has personal information detrimental to a person's finances and/or identity and cannot be referenced to a lost disc. Now if you said i found a $20 bill sitting on the seat next to me with a name and number on it would I call? No, because who knows if that was the original owner. Anybody can pick up an unmarked disc and write their name and number on it. Maybe if i start putting my name and number on all my 20's I'll get my money returned.

As to what your situation is. I would choose A, and have chosen A in the past.
you're assuming whats in the wallet. Maybe its just my wallet with a twenty dollar bill, my business card, and a few pictures.

That wallet may be worth less to me than the disc you keep. YOU dont know about MY stuff.

And if you'd return my wallet with a 20 bill in it then how is keeping my 25.00 champion plastic tie die ok? its got just as much contact info as the wallet. It was misplaced just them. Neither one was purposely gotten rid of.

And as for the "how do I know someone didnt throw a disc and you ran out of the brush with a sharpie and put your name on it instead" argument. Sure, theres discs out there with a name and # on them of a person who isnt the real owner. But thats not the norm and you know. The majority of contact info on discs are current owners.

The value of a wallet comes from what it contains, not what the wallet itself is. There is a big difference between the two. In any case its not like you throw you're wallet in the woods somewhere and then stop looking for it.

again assumptions. How do you know that that wallet isnt a gift from a beloved, and now deceased family member. You dont know what someone elses property it worth to them. Period. You cant decide that for someone. You see a DX disc and go "oh its only 7 bucks he didnt think it was worth it and bought another" because thats what you need the situation to be to be ok with your own actions of keeping it. When in reality that 7 dollars disc you saw is worth far, far more to me as it was a fathers day present from my little girl last year. Something she saved her pennies for. Something she was excited to give me because she knew how much I love DG.

Who are you to decide that that disc is only worth 7.00 to me and take it?

And I can already hear the next justification of "if it meant that much to you then you shouldnt have used it" etc.... and the excuses will do on and on. all to justify your actions

I'm done. If you really can sit there and continually justify it without even pausing to go "hmmm maybe i have been looking at this wrong" then you're a person to whom morals arent as important to me. And its not going to change on here.

because they are all pieces of property. The perceived value of them doesnt matter.

Bullcrap, if I stole your disc and was arrested it would carry a much shorter sentence than if I stole your car.

Like I said, I return discs, but once they're left behind they're litter. Not much else to say.

you're assuming whats in the wallet. Maybe its just my wallet with a twenty dollar bill, my business card, and a few pictures.

That wallet may be worth less to me than the disc you keep. YOU dont know about MY stuff.

And if you'd return my wallet with a 20 bill in it then how is keeping my 25.00 champion plastic tie die ok? its got just as much contact info as the wallet. It was misplaced just them. Neither one was purposely gotten rid of.

And as for the "how do I know someone didnt throw a disc and you ran out of the brush with a sharpie and put your name on it instead" argument. Sure, theres discs out there with a name and # on them of a person who isnt the real owner. But thats not the norm and you know. The majority of contact info on discs are current owners.

I have a business card in my wallet right now that isn't mine with contact info of someone I needed to contact at the time. If I took out my id etc and left just the business card you would call the wrong person. You are putting too many if's on your arguments to make them valid. This also goes to the following response to your last argument.

And your response to the last one: I've found a disc with 5 names on it, and at least 10 with more than one name. I'm sure you can come up with the name we call those discs, because they get around.

I'm done. If you really can sit there and continually justify it without even pausing to go "hmmm maybe i have been looking at this wrong" then you're a person to whom morals arent as important to me. And its not going to change on here.

I've said multiple times, I think it is a great ideal. I just don't think it is an actuality that will ever be widely adopted by the much more numerous rec players.

Bullcrap, if I stole your disc and was arrested it would carry a much shorter sentence than if I stole your car.

Like I said, I return discs, but once they're left behind they're litter. Not much else to say.

Haha...interesting spin on it. Made me laugh a bit.

you misunderstood. I meant value wasnt importing in deciding weather on not its ok to steal. As you just said, either way theres a crime, the only difference is the punishment.

I'll end on this, I dont think you'll ever convince someone that its ok that you're taking their stuff if they dont want you to take it. On the other hand, I might just convince a thief or 2 to change their ways;)

you misunderstood. I meant value wasnt importing in deciding weather on not its ok to steal. As you just said, either way theres a crime, the only difference is the punishment.

Lets say a person puts up a fence in yours/their backyard. You don't go out to check that they are in fact 1 foot over your property line. Now if you don't go check, and 15(?) years pass, the property line is now that fence. You just lost 1 foot of your property because you didn't take the effort to look.

I'll end on this, I dont think you'll ever convince someone that its ok that you're taking their stuff if they dont want you to take it. On the other hand, I might just convince a thief or 2 to change their ways;)

Agreed. And I'm done with this thread as well. I answered and explained my position, and got more involved in a internet debate than I usually care to. To people who return discs, I commend you for your effort. I do not usually, though I have my own way of dealing with them that I feel benefits the sport.

his own way of dealing with it is to take it and never intend to get it to its rightful owner..around here , we call that a scumbag and you would be an outcast..."look everyone there's the jerkoff disc thief playing a round by himself!!" how does being a complete toolbag benefit disc golf?

Wow guys let it go. Those that return discs know that there is good karma in it.

Those that don't obviously don't believe in such.

Now too bad nobody claims beer cans with no names on them huh?

Latest posts