• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone still throw orcs?

limonsock

Bogey Member
I was given two awesome feeling and looking champystar orcs recently. They are way more overstable than I expected! I hear that these used to be considered some of the ultimate distance bombers in their heyday; although, i'm wondering if anyone still carries them despite the emergence of super speed drivers.

Furthermore in the current super fresh state of the two I have been given, they seem like a good more overstable sPD's being that i don't have any fresh pd's to compare with them, any thoughts? How do they beat in?

I lost my Champ Orc right after I learned how to throw it. I liked it and it was a go to on two different holes of my home course. I'm looking at a PD to replace it, but part of me wants to get another.

One of the guys I play with throws it, and it's his longest disc. It's pretty beat though. I just bought one in pro thinking it would be my wind driver, but after removing the flashing, I don't think it's going to hold up to strong head winds. I like it so far, but I have lots of overlap in that spot and it may not make the bag.

I bag three orcs. The flippiest one for uphill shots, controlled distance flicks, and s-curves through the woods. My stable straight one is great for long annyies that need to finish flat, and flip ups for the long wooded tunnels and long wooded hyzers. My fresh orc can take some headwind but I carry a tournament boatman for more fade and on windier days I'll bag the VIP Boatman and drop my flippy orc. Now that I think of it, most of the time my tp boatman just goes along for the ride and just looks pretty :crazy: :think: :thumbdown:

So for me the orc will not cover all the shots the PD will without an extra mold to cover overstable duties. Orcs just feel and fit my hand better on the vast majority of the tee shots around here and are a little longer than PDs for me, 340-390' on golf lines.

So is the general consensus that orcs are less hss than PD's? both of mine seem way beefier than my spd. they dont want to turn over the slightest bit. Instead, they're pretty hard just to throw straight; wanting to hold a fade line the whole time.

Sounds about right

dscn0430gj.jpg

dscn0401y.jpg

Aww man. Look at all those special blends. I used to throw a blue 172 special blend as far or further then my buddies throwing destroyers. I sold or traded away three special blends, but wishing I would have just left them in the storage bin. Nice pearlies too, that man has been doing some serious orc searching!

Hey 7 on the line, i saw you were posting in the Sword forum, do swords and orcs compliment each other well? Im really looking for a straighter distance driver that goes father than my PD/orcs and i'm wondering if I should try out a sword. What different roles can these discs fill in your opinion?

I see too much overlap between orcs (380-390') and swords (400-410') as control stable straight distance drivers. If I'm going to grab a wider rim and lose accuracy it better fly a lot further. You might consider vip kings which are a little longer than the sword was for me. Currently my form is a little better and I carry a star boss for some headwind and 2 esp nukes for max d out to 430-440'. Depending on the wind, I can work one of these three warp speeders on a long stable line.

I remember one tournament round sword throw requiring a low line into a slight left to right 10 o'clock wind. I was going for distance and must have added a few degrees of anny as the sword flipped like a bitch OB :eek: :shock: :x

A buddy of mine still throws orcs. He loves them and can pump them way out there. I threw orcs for a long time but they started overlapping with my SOLFs too much so I chose and got rid of the orcs. Still a great control distance driver though.

Orcs were the bomb control driver for me until i learned wraiths. Wraiths were longer and just as controllable for me so i unbagged my orcs. Still a solid disc though, especially if you want something workable and dont really throw 400

Latest posts