• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Does anyone throw a Cro?

Just pulled my grey marbly First Run Star Cro (cool dx stamp) out of the closet. Haven't thrown it in a long time. I'm gonna give it a workout soon and see what's up.

That's exactly what I did down to the color of the disc. That was actually why it stopped getting used. I was afraid of not being able to find a marbled grey disc in rocks and brown grass. I seem to be doing OK with it so far, though.

All the Cros I have are 1st run yellow ones. My baby in my bag is a DX Stamped Star one and I have one more back up of that then the others are all 1st run stamps. To me the stock stamp ones are more overstable then the 1st run ones. I have a straight to flippy one and a straight to fade one in my bag that work well together for whatever shot I need.

talking about cros makes me smile, im an addict.

i love how shallow it is compared to regular putters, such as aviars or wizards. my hands tend to curl too much and cant get a consistent release(i suppose cuz my hands is a little small for the average depth'd putters), but the cro...buttery biscuits

I have just recently rediscovered the Cro. I had a 175 First-Run Star Cro sitting in my pile 'o discs that I pulled out again to see how I felt about it. I threw it a bunch of times in the field and on the course, and I really liked what it was doing. For me, it fits right into the gap between my new Roc and my Gator. I have been loving it for pinpoint hyzer upshots that need a little bit more glide than the Roc.

I looked at the stability rating according to Marshall Street and they seem to have it very wrong. I have found it more overstable compared to the Buzzz or Roc, but they have it listed as more understable than both of those. Is it because it's First Run? Or am I just crazy?

Does anyone else even throw a Cro? Why or why not?

This thread is 12 years old but the disc world needs a reminder, the Cro is a top 5 disc for getting up and down, especially backhand. The longer I play, the more it becomes clear. From 250-275 and in there's no other disc I trust more. The lessened glide (I'd give it a 3) is such a striking difference relative to 4 or 5 glide mids in terms of control. After all, isn't that what we're after? There's a lot of sexy more/less OS, glidier, bigger distance mids out there but when it comes to controlled hyzer shots that do the same thing over and over, regardless of conditions, the Cro sits unrivaled on its perch. Want it to finish straight? Slight anny and let it S. Want a Zone-y flight? Add a little extra hyzer. Want to park an approach from 250? Aim slightly right of your target, release flat/slight hyzer and let the Cro do the rest. If you're halfway decent you'll be in C1 every time. The Cro laughs at the effects of air and ground (especially with R-Pro) and will never flip on you (especially in Champ) Nothing squirrely will get in the way of your ability to get up and down. No other disc will make you realize that glide is not necessarily a good thing for many (most?) shots. Master this disc and your scores will plummet and I'll even give that a Dudeness Guarantee.

Innova should really "rerelease" the Cro, maybe in color glow (drool) so this gem can get some more attention that it deserves. It genuinely makes me angry that this cheat code for better scores and consistent gameplay doesn't get more love. Need to stock up on more before the PDGA discovers that the Cro is a competitive advantage and rules it illegal in sanctioned play.

Anyone thrown the new stamp stock Star Cros yet? I'll be ordering one...

Halo and Gstar for the premium cycle?

joe-dirt-dang-jpg.257290

I have my Cro parked next to my Spider - discs that feel and fly like putters. I bust It out a couple times a year for one-disc round fun at my local 9 hole course.

This thread is 12 years old but the disc world needs a reminder, the Cro is a top 5 disc for getting up and down, especially backhand. The longer I play, the more it becomes clear. From 250-275 and in there's no other disc I trust more. The lessened glide (I'd give it a 3) is such a striking difference relative to 4 or 5 glide mids in terms of control. After all, isn't that what we're after? There's a lot of sexy more/less OS, glidier, bigger distance mids out there but when it comes to controlled hyzer shots that do the same thing over and over, regardless of conditions, the Cro sits unrivaled on its perch. Want it to finish straight? Slight anny and let it S. Want a Zone-y flight? Add a little extra hyzer. Want to park an approach from 250? Aim slightly right of your target, release flat/slight hyzer and let the Cro do the rest. If you're halfway decent you'll be in C1 every time. The Cro laughs at the effects of air and ground (especially with R-Pro) and will never flip on you (especially in Champ) Nothing squirrely will get in the way of your ability to get up and down. No other disc will make you realize that glide is not necessarily a good thing for many (most?) shots. Master this disc and your scores will plummet and I'll even give that a Dudeness Guarantee.

Innova should really "rerelease" the Cro, maybe in color glow (drool) so this gem can get some more attention that it deserves. It genuinely makes me angry that this cheat code for better scores and consistent gameplay doesn't get more love. Need to stock up on more before the PDGA discovers that the Cro is a competitive advantage and rules it illegal in sanctioned play.

Anyone thrown the new stamp stock Star Cros yet? I'll be ordering one...

I picked up a Star Cro at my local PIAS. It is the old stamp.

The Cro is very fun. Maybe the prettiest sweeping hyzers I've ever thrown. So much so that it's changed how I see the course a bit. I tend to choose the most direct route but the Cro allows is so precise and effortless on hyzer that I'm choosing those lines more. I still need to work with it more to feel confident throwing it straight though I'm impressed with it's distance potential on anny. Glad to see another run produced.

Solid necro-bump!

I have 1 buddy who throws a star Cro and swears by it. Nice old PFN with swirls in the plastic but not the "swirly star" that looks trashy. It seems to be more OS than a Roc, but not total beefcake. In terms of disc shape and flight I'd say the closest thing is a Spider... but that's kind of an old school mold nowadays.

Edit: I just noticed that MP also mentioned the Spider as a comparison. So that's 2 data points!

Last edited:
Spider is beaded but yes flight wise rather similar. I'd say Cro is a bit faster and a bit more overstable but also has a little less glide.

I always thought that the Spider was like an Aviar Driver that had been stretched wider in profile just outside the bead line. Is a Cro like the same thing but with the Aviar P&A?

Huh...it appears the Cro does indeed have a microbead...

Cro:
23k9yfl.png

Spider:
YjZFJDZ.png

First run Cros are literally penned *sp as someone must have thought they were actually Spiders.

Cros do have a tiny/micro bead.

First run Cros are literally penned *sp as someone must have thought they were actually Spiders.

Got one of the fluorescent ones. It has a C Penned on it.
It's mold came out slightly flatter than the regular star, and is basically a g-star plastic. i.e. It RULES, and Innova should do another run of them.
It's been getting used A LOT lately.

It's mold came out slightly flatter than the regular star, and is basically a g-star plastic. i.e. It RULES, and Innova should do another run of them.

Is it a First Run?

The lessened glide (I'd give it a 3) is such a striking difference relative to 4 or 5 glide mids in terms of control.

While I don't throw the cro I get your love of low glide discs. Rhynos are my favorite driving putter because of the low glide. Big glide can reduce consistency. Everyone is always talking about how far the envy goes, but I'd rather have more consistency than more distance out of my driving putter. Keep on rocking that cro hisdudeness!

Uhhh, yes please? Where do I get one?

Latest posts