• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does this count?

Is this an Ace or not??
Yes.

if it counts when it lands on the top of the basket wouldnt it count if it got stuck in the side?
Completely supported by the chains or the tray counts as holed out, i.e. ace from the tee. Resting on top of the "basket" or more accurately the chain supports does not count.

ERic

The shot was an ace according to the rules.

PDGA RULES:

803.13 Holing Out
B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to
hole out, the thrower must release the
disc and it must come to rest supported
by the chains or within one of the
entrapment sections. This includes a disc
wedged into or hanging from the lower
entrapment section but excludes a disc
resting on top of, or hanging outside of,
the upper entrapment section. The disc
must also remain within the chains or
entrapment sections until removed.

Yes.

Completely supported by the chains or the tray counts as holed out, i.e. ace from the tee. Resting on top of the "basket" or more accurately the chain supports does not count.

ERic

Ditto.

I also think it is funny to read the comments on Youtube. They are not as knowledgeable as they would have us to believe.

That "guy" on the youtube comments section really wants to take that ace away from that dude.

That's a riot. I would have never read the comments if you guys had not mentioned it.

I've probably seen a dozen wedge aces over the years. They have always counted. I did see a wedge ace once that popped out and fell on the ground before we got to the basket. It didn't count because it did not "remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed." The ace pool was something like $200 that day. That guy was pissed!

Does a disc wedged into the side of the basket count as a finished shot? Yes!
It is my opinion that a disc resting on top of the basket would require the same amount of skill (luck) & it should also count. But it doesn't. Weird.

Not trying to sound like an A hole but its amazing to me how many people claim to play so much and to love the sport as they do, yet have never read the rule book.Get one, read it, and turn all the guess work into fact.
If you read the rule book you might be amazed at what you learn, plus you'll learn how to properly play the game you claim to love.

And yes wedging a disc in the side of a basket is an ace as long as it is taken from the basket before it falls out,and as others have said landing on top is no ace.

The DROT (Disc Resting On Top) rule goes back to the beginning. The pole hole replaced trees as targets for the most part, and the pole hole was supposed to replace the trees. That is why the pole hole is designed without a front and back, you can shoot at it from any side like a tree. DROT came from the fact that you cannot land on top of a tree target...the rest of the tree is in the way. So DROT was ruled no good.

DROT has survived to this point VS the wedgie because it is impossible for you to make a good putt and have it somehow end up on top of the basket. It would have to defy the laws of gravity and crawl through that maze of bars on the chain assembly to end up on top. A wedgie COULD be a good putt that hits the pole, comes back hard and wedges on the way OUT of the basket. But...every time they do a rules review DROT is on the table, as a lot of people want it to count.

Personally I'm OK with it not counting, but it's not going to ruin my life if they make it legal. Call me apathetic.

It's an ace. The people that think this doesn't count are either noobs or naive. The rule states the a disc must be supported by the CHAINS or the BASKET. If it's in top of everything (above the chains) then it is NOT an ace. The disc in this situation is supported by the BASKET so thereby is an ace. As long as the thrower grabs the disc before it falls out, it counts as an ace.

Latest posts