• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does this make me a douche?

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
Last spring was when my friends and I caught the disc golf bug. We all had a lot of fun last year. However, I'm finding myself really wanting to improve my game, while they still wanna go out and goof off and they haven't quite picked up on ettiquette. Here's my dilemma. I find myself blowing them off when they ask me to play because they don't take it as serious as I do. Don't get me wrong though. Its not like I'm in tourney mode during casual rounds. Its just that I've met more people that play on my level. So by blowing them off, does that make me a db?

I think it's OK to just go play if you want to practice. If they ask why you didn't call them you can honestly tell them that you just wanted to work on some stuff.

But forum protocol states if you have to ask if you're a DB, you are.

There you have it from both sides of the coin.

i dont think you are....fun is fun ...but when you want to get better goofing off is not the way to do it........im trying to teach my 9 yr old etiquette ......he is picking it up pretty well......

OP...why not just explain to them that you are taking it to the "next level".....and that means that you may start taking casual rounds more serious (i.e. following tourny rules/ettiquette), they may actually not want to do that, and then you don't have to feel bad.......but I would suggest not burning your bridges with them, because as fun as tourny rounds can be, the super fun casual rounds/road trips with good friends is where the real fun is.....just my opinion

Maybe an analogy might help. Compare it to another sport and explain it that way. It could well be that they do know even realize that DG can be a real sport - more than a casual goof-off game.

You can totally do both. The whole reason you started playing is because its fun right? You gotta have the goof off rounds once in a while. I use them to try stuff i wouldn't usually try with discs I normally wouldn't use for certain shots, just to see what will happen. Now go grab some beer and get out there and throw some plastic!

why not just explain to them that you are taking it to the "next level"

Or just buy a practice basket, learn how to putt, and kick their backsides around the links for a couple of weeks. They will stop calling you.

Then they will be the D-Bags. :hfive:

If the guys are still friends and you want to keep them as friends, why not start off with some good natured wagering. In easy baskets suggest everyone put up a buck for closest to the pin? Or maybe $5 a round or the loser buys. Sometimes when a little money is involved it induces the killer instincts in folks. If they bite, they'll soon tire of always paying you and they'll either start getting a little more serious or they'll quit playing with you on their own accord.

Another idea is if/when you play with them, its a good time to do a 1 disc round, or try out those shots you need working. If your a BH player, try those FH shots. Try out new discs. Hell try throwinf with your off hand.

They are/were your friends and you did have fun playing a goof off round.

But forum protocol states if you have to ask if you're a DB, you are.

There you have it from both sides of the coin.

Agreed.
Maybe your friends just don't enjoy the same things about disc golf as you do. Perhaps they just care more about being outside with friends and less about the final score. Sure this can make it frustrating when the rules are stretched etc. but, if you ask me, it's all in the name of having fun. :thmbup:
so I hate to say it, but if that's the case, then you are probably being a DB.

My experience isn't entirely dissimilar to yours, except that my friends have mostly gotten serious, as I have, about our play. We still have one or two who could care less about their final score, and that's OK too.

Are you saying that you want to play more rounds with higher level players because you are that much better than your friends? I assume that your friends don't really care about improving their game. When you say etiquette, do you mean that they throw on people before they finish their hole or talk all the time? If you are that much better than them, then I suggest playing with people on or above your level most of the time. Every now and then play a casual round with your friends. If it's your burning desire to improve, then play most of your rounds with people that are better than you. Your friends might look at it as a social outing, but after they see your improvement they might want to get better themselves.

Last edited:
Start tracking everyone's scores (even if they don't want you to), point out foot faults and other stance violations, pick up their litter, etc. Then maybe they'll see how serious you are (and maybe the proof on the scorecard that you're getting better than them will be the icing on the cake), and will start taking the sport more seriously. Or if that sounds too dickish, start little friendly wagers at each round (cash, discs, beer, whatever) and stomp 'em. :D

I usually just invite all my DG buddies to the park when I'm going and sometimes 7 or so show up so we split up the group. The people wanting to goof off will see how series you all are playing and might start taking it serious as soon as they see good players.

DB yes!!! Wanting to learn etiquette, no!! Go have fun with the boys!!!! You can do both!!!!

Nope. I don't like playing with goof offs either.

Nothing wrong with goofing off, but besides you, there goofing off may or could lead to other disc golfers being annoyed by their antics out on the course.

Ur not a DB.

It depends on the level of goofing off. If they are the type that dont wait for others, talk the whole time and dont respect the course, then I would not play with them. The guy who introduced me to dg six years ago never keeps score, always foot faults and never plays without his dog that F's with the thrown discs. I rarely play with him anymore,but when I do, I keep score for him so at least I know that I beat him. Oh yeah, I also make a point to tell him when I get an ace because he has yet to get one and he's been playing for ten years. Ha!

Latest posts