• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

Disc Golf Doctor

Par Member
I have been running our local course that is open over the winter with our dog. I go early in the morning when it is quiet and few people are around. I let the her off the lease, but she comes right to me when called. Over the last several weeks I have had 3 similar incidences with dogs that people don't have on leases but can't control. All 3 times the dogs won't leave us alone and the owners have been extraordinarily slow in getting to the dog getting control of it (range from 5 minutes to 20+). It isn't the end of the world (obviously), but I've had to stop my round for that time, my dog isn't always fond of other dogs and can be defensive, and I guess is just a pet peeve of mine (pun not intended, but approved of after the fact). Is this just me or have others experienced this as well?

I have been running our local course that is open over the winter with our dog. I go early in the morning when it is quiet and few people are around. I let the her off the lease, but she comes right to me when called. Over the last several weeks I have had 3 similar incidences with dogs that people don't have on leases but can't control. All 3 times the dogs won't leave us alone and the owners have been extraordinarily slow in getting to the dog getting control of it (range from 5 minutes to 20+). It isn't the end of the world (obviously), but I've had to stop my round for that time, my dog isn't always fond of other dogs and can be defensive, and I guess is just a pet peeve of mine (pun not intended, but approved of after the fact). Is this just me or have others experienced this as well?

I personally love dogs, but they need to be on a leash for sure, the course I am building is on farm land surrounded by farmers that do not have their dog fenced in or anything. Because of this I am going to have to ban dogs from my course sadly, just because other people do not keep their dogs under control. This is from a liability standpoint and it kills me to do it.

If your dog gets "defensive" around other dogs, it needs to be on a leash.

She does not get aggressive. She doesn't want a dog twice it's size running full steam at her and tries to avoid them, maybe defensive conveys the wrong idea. Any time I even see another dog she has come to me and is put on a leash.

I've been knocked on my ass by "friendly" dogs that "just wanted to play." For whatever reason, dogs don't seem to like me very much, even the supposedly "friendly" ones. And even if it doesn't bite me, I still don't want it rearing up and wiping its muddy forelegs all over me, or rubbing its drool-covered muzzle on my clothes. Leash your &$%@ dog.

edit: And pick up its poop.

Dogs are animals with brains....thus free will. You tell us your dog is under control, but then tell us that he is defensive. Why not just control that instinct, as part of the under control plan? Because you cannot. It is your dog, leash it. Nobody wants to deal with your dog, well behaved or not. Sadly, you are not special, nor are the other folks with dogs.

0/5

would never use this doctor again, has bad reputation, cant spell, not methodical

he gave me harm and not an arm

I've been knocked on my ass by "friendly" dogs that "just wanted to play." For whatever reason, dogs don't seem to like me very much, even the supposedly "friendly" ones. And even if it doesn't bite me, I still don't want it rearing up and wiping its muddy forelegs all over me, or rubbing its drool-covered muzzle on my clothes. Leash your &$%@ dog.

edit: And pick up its poop.

And every leash seems to be one foot longer than the distance to me.

Dogs are animals with brains....thus free will. You tell us your dog is under control, but then tell us that he is defensive. Why not just control that instinct, as part of the under control plan? Because you cannot. It is your dog, leash it. Nobody wants to deal with your dog, well behaved or not. Sadly, you are not special, nor are the other folks with dogs.

not sure why so many are having an issue with my dog. Mine has not caused any issues with other dogs. They have all come at us, and my dog is on the leash when anyone is around. No one has to deal with my dog at all. I am off in the wooded part of the park away from others. It is other's dogs who have charged at us from their owners 1/4 mile away. I am saying my dog gets slightly defensive/anxious (not aggressive) when I am holding her with a leash (can't get away) and an aggressive dog is coming at her.

Your dog should be on a leash if you are playing at a public course. Same with the other 3 people you've run into. Either leash the dog or leave it at home. It doesn't matter if you think your dog behaves better than other people's dogs.

DGD, do you honestly believe that public leash laws don't apply to you and your dog because you think your dog is "well behaved"?

If so, then the alcohol ban at the park shouldn't apply to me, because I am a well behaved sot. :cool:

Back on topic:

I think leasing a dog sounds perfect for you.

not sure why so many are having an issue with my dog. Mine has not caused any issues with other dogs. They have all come at us, and my dog is on the leash when anyone is around. No one has to deal with my dog at all. I am off in the wooded part of the park away from others. It is other's dogs who have charged at us from their owners 1/4 mile away. I am saying my dog gets slightly defensive/anxious (not aggressive) when I am holding her with a leash (can't get away) and an aggressive dog is coming at her.

I think your dog has mastered passive aggression, perhaps even wicked side-eye.

Always bring my dog to the course and she's on a leash the whole time, except when there's absolutely no one around I'll let her run. There are two enormous fields where she will run like a bat out of hell for about 10 minutes, then run back to me and collapse on the ground. It's pretty hilarious to watch.

Most dog owners we encounter are responsible.

Latest posts