• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the Disc Golf Course

Dogs that chase discs and bark - leave at home

Dogs that don't seem to care what is going on and listen - bring

Nothing like petting a dog for a second or two to shake off a missed putt

agreed.

not all dogs are bad. some are rather welcomed

Guy around here brings his dog Rascal to the courses. Zero problems. And that's fine. I leave my 6 month old pup Japhy at home. It's not because he's not properly trained, it's because he LOVES people and constantly wants to play/lick/show you his weiner (his favorite trick.) I don't want to annoy other golfers with him on the course. I have been bringing him on days when there aren't many people playing and walking the course with him so when I get his nuts chopped off, and he calms down a bit, he can be able to come with me on solo rounds.

Dogs that chase discs and bark - leave at home

Dogs that don't seem to care what is going on and listen - bring

Nothing like petting a dog for a second or two to shake off a missed putt

Agreed.

I take my dogs into the woods behind my house to practice tunnel shots every day. They are both retrievers, and it's their favorite moment every day, every time. They don't chew the discs up -- I wouldn't be afraid to throw my entire bag of discs, they just bring them back barely hanging from the mouth in the most delicate way.

This is also the reason I can't bring them to the course. It's like taking a heroin addict to a poppy field and asking him not to tweak.
Callie chasing down a roller, her favorite:
7372994152_272cbbdda6_b.jpg

Callie and Lily bringing the disc back in the same condition as it was thrown:
7373007586_9377423df6_b.jpg

Bergdawg's dog, however, is the best disc golfin' dog ever. Griffin never wanders, never gets in the way, never barks during your x-step, never gives the slightest care to anyone's plastic, he just enjoys being out there. Occassionally his instincts kick in and he wants to go after a squirrel, but for the most part he listens and behaves better than most people on the course.

Griffin chillin' in the golf cart at RiverChase, barely a week after being rescued:
7187777631_8365973522_b.jpg

When Bergdawg needs to putt, Griff will listen intently and scamper to whomever will give him some love, without worry of him taking off:
7373016802_7643b6105b_b.jpg

7187804909_48e118a2c6_b.jpg

Used to love throwing rollers for my sisters dog, Lola. But she broke her leg chasing after a little remote controlled helicopter... And now no more fun throwing rollers at a baseball field :(.

I've had more bad experiences with dogs on the course than good.

Had a friends dog pee on my bag. I wasn't mad at all just kind of grossed out. He kinda beat the dog and i felt bad and embarrased. Didn't help my bag was red either. Only problem i have is when they don't pick up the crap and that is all.

Wait a sec...did I read that properly? It looks like to paid a trainer to teach you how to train your dog.

I've got some first run grooves for ya....only $150.00 per disc. At this price, they won't last long! Get 'em while you can! :hfive:

All joking aside, I know we have discussed this in previous dog-related threads. We should just agree to disagree.
Actually this trainer was a great guy. He really helped us with our male dominate dog that was basically feral when we got him. It was we take the dog or he was dead. So we had heard about this guy who believe it or not worked for petsmart. You could barely get into his classes. I always asked him why petsmart and he was like well here I don't have to worry about all the other stuff and can just concentrate on helping people. He really helped up control this dog and now even though he is still a bit crazy he is a great dog. You did the training and instructed you. He would even let us come to tother classes so that we could get more work in with this dog. What bums me out is that the guy was let go because they brought in a homophobic manager who didn't like the guy because he was gay. :wall:

I think more people should go to a trainer then there would be a whole lot less issues out there. I always trained any dog i had myself before this but me and the wife thought it was best to do something different with this one. I learned a lot from this trainer and realized that all the things i did in the past where wrong and I could have saved a bunch of time with just a few of these simple tricks that he used to get our dog straightened out. I agree to disagree but one thing and i will say it again that this guy pounded into our heads is don't let your dog make you look stupid.:wall::wall:

Latest posts