• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the Disc Golf Course

I've been training mine at home to run to the disc and stop and not grab it. He seems to be catching on very well, hasn't grabbed one since very early on. I, however, have not taken him to the course. I don't know if anyone else would appreciate him running off towards their disc. I got a friend who always brings his dog, but the dog's not real interested in chasing the discs, he just kinda hangs around the tee.

I can see why it could be a problem, especially on multi-use parks that exist for more than just dg. People at home throw discs around for their dog, dog goes to park, sees disc, owner isn't ready for him to charge off.

I only bring mine if it's raining or if we're going to a private course where I know everyone will be cool about it. My reasoning for the rain is that other discers will be scarce and there won't be any other park users either. I can take my dogs on leash and drop the leash at each tee, but that's just a pain. My dog destroys Frisbees in less than a minute, but he has never left a mark on a golf disc. His only issue is standing expectantly in front of the teepad when you're trying to drive, and that's pretty easily remedied with a leash or a playing partner. He did take a low flying Teebird right in the ribs during field work last week though, so maybe he's learned his lesson.

I've never had any problems with other dogs on the course. Most dogs I've seen have been on leash and the owners have been very respectful.

My dog Frisbee has played over 2000 rounds in the last 11 years.

Snap a photo of that disc. Would love to see it!

Of course it's the owners responsibility to train that behavior out of the dog, but it's often their natural instinct to be annoying and meddlesome, and I don't even trust people to behave properly, let alone their dogs.

Exactly. It's one thing to have to worry about a person behaving properly. Bringing dogs into the mix just complicates things even more.

Still I don't mind the dogs if they owners have them trained good.

Here is Frisbee Dog at Roche Harbor disc golf course!! She is pretty well known on the disc golf tour.

She's been to 40 states and played disc golf at over 100 courses.

She's not interested in discs, and spends most of her time killing moles on the course. She's turning 13 this year and still loves to play every chance she can.

Found at a disc golf tournament in 2001

Attachments

• P1030903.jpg
    P1030903.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
One of the only dogs I trust on the course is Bear. Bear's a disc retriever and is very well trained.

Bear is a sweetheart!! And can dive up to 6 feet underwater to get discs. Though is slowing down a lil these days. I believe that dog has retrieved about 7 of my discs over the years.

My dog is usually with me. He will sit by my side until I tell him its ok to go. Always gets to my discs before me.

I have two dogs. I love all dogs. I don't love irresponsible owners. I've taken my dogs golfing once or twice and they were fine but having to have someone hold the leash while teeing off seemed to be too much of an inconvenience to the group. I won't take my dogs off leash unless it's in a dog park, leash laws exits for a reason. But I will say I've played with Martin Dewgarita and his dog, his dog is cool. But when I run across other park users ignoring the leash laws at the courses I play at it annoys me. As others have said it doesn't matter if your off leash dog is well behaved. If it comes upon another dog who dislikes other dogs there will be an issue. An issue that could have been easily avoided if people obeyed leash laws.

I also like dogs on the course. They need to be trained not to chase discs for sure, but they never bothered me much.

I haven't been playing for very long but so far my tally is Dogs Biting Discs=1 People Stealing Disc=0. Though from what I've seen on here and what I know about idiot people I bet there are quite a few more discs stolen than bitten by dogs.

Sorry but saying you don't like dogs on the course because of getting disc is like saying you don't like pit bulls because they attack everything they see. Both are ignorant hatred being focused on the dog when it should be focused on the owners. It is not difficult to train a dog, and if it isn't trained then it shouldn't be out on the course. The dog has no control over where the owner takes it.

--General Rant Not Focused At Anyone--

Candybasket.jpg

Even the nicest, most well mannered dogs still POOP!! I have NEVER seen a dg'ing dog owner carrying a plastic disposal bag, or ever using one. These dog loving idiots let their K-9's pee and poo all over the course and I'm tired of finding land mines everywhere. I say no to dogs on the course, no to steamers on the course, and no to urine in the brush where i've just thrown my sweet new Champion Groove.

Even the nicest, most well mannered dogs still POOP!! I have NEVER seen a dg'ing dog owner carrying a plastic disposal bag, or ever using one. These dog loving idiots let their K-9's pee and poo all over the course and I'm tired of finding land mines everywhere. I say no to dogs on the course, no to steamers on the course, and no to urine in the brush where i've just thrown my sweet new Champion Groove.

I don't know what kind of a-holes you play with but my friends and I always clean up after our dogs.

A well trained dog is a great companion on the course. My buddy's dog, Hyzer(best dog name ever) is trained to retrieve discs on command and never leaves a mark in them. This is especially helpful since he owns a private course with electric fences that come into play http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3100 (ironically its listed as no pets, but thats because he has his own onsite)

my dog biko is the course mascot for the course we built in the park behind my house. never even touched a disc. he does venture to far sometimes and gets nailed by discs. need to train him to stay close is all

Sorry but saying you don't like dogs on the course because of getting disc is like saying you don't like pit bulls because they attack everything they see. Both are ignorant hatred being focused on the dog when it should be focused on the owners. It is not difficult to train a dog, and if it isn't trained then it shouldn't be out on the course. The dog has no control over where the owner takes it.

--General Rant Not Focused At Anyone--

:clap:

Latest posts