• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Don't be "that guy" another rant

simpletwist

* Ace Member *
It was absolutely spectacular in Western NY yesterday afternoon.

We went to JD and had a great time, except for a couple of spots. We came down the slight hill along the line of shrubs from the teebox on number 5 to our discs. Less than 10ft, brom the basket; I love my Flick. One day, one day... Cha-ching; and the crowd goes wild!!!

Anyway, birdie, and to the teebox for number 6. In plain view at the basket of number 7 was a solo. WE were in clear sight of one another because this is a spot where the course tunrs and doubles back, and its fairly open. My gf and I aren't rushing. NP, right a solo. Well a couple of pars and he's still at the basket, practice putting. (I have yet to hear the chains, btw)No biggie. We aren't in any big rush. We get to the teebox for 7. "That guy," is still practicing, and missing. He's looking right down the fairway at me, throws a missed putt. Then another... No recognition, or an a-hole? My gf starts moving to the red tees. He throws another putt. No, wave us ahead, no Oops I'm sorry, no moving along.

I'm waiting, waiting... My short fuse is getting lit. "Angie, look out." "FORE!!!" Another one 10 feet from the basket and no more than 10 from "that guy." He got the hint, or did he? No heartburn with a couple extra practice shots, but when it is obvious someone is waiting at the teebox, its time to move on, right? Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it was late in the day and NO ONE was behind us. So if you want to practice/play wave those behind you ahead, right?

So he moves on.

At the teex box We wait for him to putt out give some space, take a sip of water. Normally Ang gets on my sheet a bit when my temper flairs, but she said she was getting ready to throw. She normally birdies this one so I'm thinking she was thinking just like me.

At number 12, we took my smoke break. ;) She had to quit, started testing where she works. Bummer. I hear the cha-ching of the chains and then again on 13. I'm thinking, "not the same guy is it?" "couldn't be." She gets a nice 2, a 3 for me. At the teebox for 13, WTF!?! Yep same d-bag, and he's still putting. I've already heard him twice. Did he think we'd disappear? Give up and go home? A water break, a smoke break, strolling, we aren't pros but we don't completely suck either. How can we catch this solo, again? Well obviously he's practicing, which is cool, but when folks are catching you, its either time to stop and let them play thru or not practice several drives, approaches, and putts on every basket. 1 more putt, he moves on.

Why didn't I say something you might ask. He was a long distance away and I didn't feel like a shouting especially since the atmosphere was so serene.

At the teebox for 14. Still practice putting. I could stand it no longer. (its a lot shorter hole) Face to face at 215 an obvious throw my hands up kinda shrug. Of course no recognition, he's setting up for his3rd or 4th putt. "You're kidding, right?" I shout.

:clap: He gets it!!! The light came on and he took a break. We played thru. At the basket for 17 Ang asks is he behind us? Nah, he's still on the fairway or teebox of 15. Now everyone can play at their own pace. No one behind him. No one in front of us by 3 or 4 baskets.

DON'T BE THAT GUY!

Now I feel better.

I'm guessing that instead of asking to play through, you didn't say anything at all to him?

Sometimes it's just easier to ask.

I'm guessing that instead of asking to play through, you didn't say anything at all to him?

Sometimes it's just easier to ask.

Yes, your right. I should have shouted, "HEY, DO YOU MIND IF WE PLAY THROUGH." Birds and bees a buzzing. Beautifully serene park. Yep, that's what I should have done. Or perhaps if you had read the post you would have seen that. Yep, I was a dick. I agree. Now had my antagonist had the courtesy when he seen us get the F%@$ out of the way when he seen us both at the 2 different teeboxes and let us play maybe when he caught up to him at the nest teebox perhaps I could have said it in a voice appropriate for the day.

Maybe you are that guy too?

We had a similar problem at the ridge the other day, but it was random people on the course, we would be clear for 2 holes ahead and behind us. We go and tee off all of a sudden there is a group chillin at the basket we are shooting, we wait a minute knowing no one is behind us and all of a sudden we have a group of 4 waiting for us. Hate the RIDGE RATS...

That is terrible...I was playing by myself, in that manner on saturday and just kept waiting at teeboxes for people behind me and I had at least 3 people play through and I told them I was just practicing and tossing a bunch of shots. It was no big deal at all, this guy sounds like a douche, I would have been very tempted to throw on him earlier and play through...

Personally I always get antsy if I know someone is creeping up on me. I hate holding folks up if I play too slow so I always wave folks ahead. Hell, I'm 56 with a bum leg, how fast can I be playing. I won't slow you down. Play thru.

Now if the course is crowded, you just gotta keep pace. No way around it. But we started at about 4 on a Monday. And the course was active but slow.

i don't like people close behind either, antsy is the word

yeah.... you should have said something to him about it.

nicely of course.

In hindsite you might be right. But at the time, situation, things are different. Like I said, I get antsy when people are playing up my butt so I was giving the guy his space to make that 1 extra putt. I can understand frustration at missing just beyond what should be a gimme. Maybe even a 2nd although that's being a bit rude and/or self absorbed. And, well, after that third one... Too late. The reptilian brain takes over.

I feel bad that you put up withthis for 9 holes....how ridiculous....
This is another reason why I'm an advocate of pay for play courses....guys like this can spend their days at the "putting greens"...On a real golf course, no way a guy could just sit there and drop putts all day while holding people behind him up, not would most golfers just do that.

We have a long way to go in class and etiquette guys....as I'm sure this scenario is the very unfamiliar to most of us, and that crap wouldn't happen on a real golf course...not even a nice one necessarily....

parts of this make me remember why i moved out of NY State

It is going to be an increasing and unfortunate problem as a direct result of disc golfing's popularity increase. On the flip side the course has been saved (so far) in part because the disc golf community in the area let their elected officials know how passionate they are when 2 area state/disc golf parks were designated to be closed to save $$$.

And the more I think about it, the more a pay course with a reasonable fee looks attractive to me. We try our best to avoid the crowds by playing early on the weekends. But Mondays are usually an anytime thing. Or at least they were.

In these cases, I generally wait a few moments to see if they move. Then, I hold up a disc and yell, "coming in!"

Personally I always get antsy if I know someone is creeping up on me. I hate holding folks up if I play too slow so I always wave folks ahead. Hell, I'm 56 with a bum leg, how fast can I be playing. I won't slow you down. Play thru.

Now if the course is crowded, you just gotta keep pace. No way around it. But we started at about 4 on a Monday. And the course was active but slow.

Antsy for me too. I hate someone following me. If I rush, I screw up. If it looks like I am gonna be following a slow group, I'll play the back nine first or skip holes and come back and play them when they are clear. If that isn't possible, I ask to play through.

When you say I shouldn't be that guy, which guy are you talking about?

The guy who sees someone at the tee pad behind him and thinks "They'll ask me when they want to play through."?

or

The guy standing on the tee pad who sees the oblivious guy at the basket and thinks "If he was gonna let us play through he would've offered by now. He must be a douche."?

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
coolhandluke4.jpg

When you say I shouldn't be that guy, which guy are you talking about?

The guy who sees someone at the tee pad behind him and thinks "They'll ask me when they want to play through."?

or

The guy standing on the tee pad who sees the oblivious guy at the basket and thinks "If he was gonna let us play through he would've offered by now. He must be a douche."?

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
coolhandluke4.jpg

True, true. Chicken or the egg? Great quote from a movie in the all time top 5.

There's just no reason for this guys behavior. Even if he's a newb, common sense/courtesy would dictate that he move aside for those that are actually trying to play a round. He's actually lucky that it was you and not a roving band of psycho DG nazis. He would have would up naked and discless in a ditch.:eek:

There's just no reason for this guys behavior. Even if he's a newb, common sense/courtesy would dictate that he move aside for those that are actually trying to play a round. He's actually lucky that it was you and not a roving band of psycho DG nazis. He would have would up naked and discless in a ditch.:eek:

relax a little bit dude

And the more I think about it, the more a pay course with a reasonable fee looks attractive to me.

I'm with ya on that. The last time out I was waiting on the tee for the fairway to clear. One of the players in the fairway (on his phone) waves me on. I point to his GF (wife maybe) who was sitting down playing with two kids. Of course they're sitting where I expect to throw. I ended up skipping the hole. The more I encounter things like this the more I'm ready to pay $5 a round to not have to deal with it.

Latest posts