• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Double G: Double the Goodness

Ok, I see. I would like to think that the swing is more heavily dependent on the posterior and anterior sling working together like a spiral around the pivot. Basically the same thing, but going across the thorax and anchoring on the opposite shoulder.

Front leg wrapping around the pivot to back shoulder.
Back leg wrapping around to the front shoulder.
What do you think?

More this:
It's a combination of them all. I also couldn't figure out how to draw the anterior sling to make sense in that pic.

They are all springs.

GG:

Paul dunking over car:

Drew:

Simon:

How does their way above average vertical jump correlate to big distance in disc golf? Are those muscles key to throwing far in disc golf?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

How does their way above average vertical jump correlate to big distance in disc golf? Are those muscles key to throwing far in disc golf?

Jumping has a decent relation to it.

I've given it a fair amount of I think honestly the best way to measure someone's potential would factor in their height and weight, measured against sprinting speed and power clean strength, assuming they were trained in both. That would factor in posterior chain fast twitch muscles for both speed and strength/explosiveness, and coordination.

That is a good measurement for most any athlete. But at the end of the day, an elite DB, pitcher, power golfer, etc would be able to absolutely mash a disc if properly trained with good form. Elite athleticism for speed and coordination usually results in good potential for sports across the board.

Definitely helps, but not the end all be all. I doubt Eagle has above average vertical.

Michael Jordan I'm sure can out jump Michael Jackson, but Jackson has that springy speed connected through his whole body from the ground out the hands and I'm betting would out throw Jordan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHI1yI1Ndk#t=5m52s

I worked pretty hard for about an hour at a kids birthday party that was at a gymnasium. I wanted to do a standing backflip and/or front flip.

The springy-ish floor had some feeling of trampoline and there was a 3-4" pad that I was trying to land in.

I ended up getting many attempts around to my feet but couldn't stick it before I was nursing a headache and feeling woozy.

I attribute discgolf work on form to my ability to do gainers and flips at this age. You have to focus explosive motions to relatively specific spots and remain controlled elsewhere. You have to push into directions that don't make sense - like shooting straight up before you tuck. I feel like if you can do this in one sport, it makes more sense the next to work through the power-generation process.

I attribute discgolf work on form to my ability to do gainers and flips at this age. You have to focus explosive motions to relatively specific spots and remain controlled elsewhere. You have to push into directions that don't make sense - like shooting straight up before you tuck. I feel like if you can do this in one sport, it makes more sense the next to work through the power-generation process.
I was a swimmer in college and we had no divers on the team my senior year, so I filled in a couple times. I could do front flip and backflip and inward, but I tried a gainer once and landed flat on my back, the whole stadium made that noise "ohhh". And that was the last time I tried a gainer. My buddy was in the stands and he was a diver the previous years, and he said the same thing you just did.

wth... Dude skate boarding down drive way, neighbors doing back flips, Paul dunking over cars. Competitive af neighborhood to live in. No wonder Paul has ice in his veins. :D

Disc hasn't even pivoted.
J5Wlseg.png

Seems like he does pivot off of index/thumb in other photos I've seen. Thoughts? Thx.

Add in balance and overall kinesthetic awareness. There are plenty of seemingly athletic folks can run fast and jump high but aren't really sure where all their body parts are going. It's why we talk about how it FEELS to throw well. You have to be in tune with your parts to be able to know and control what they do.

I was a swimmer in college and we had no divers on the team my senior year, so I filled in a couple times. I could do front flip and backflip and inward, but I tried a gainer once and landed flat on my back, the whole stadium made that noise "ohhh". And that was the last time I tried a gainer. My buddy was in the stands and he was a diver the previous years, and he said the same thing you just did.

Spiraling off topic, but the summer I decided to learn a gainer (about 5 years ago) I convinced a friend who is equally game for bad ideas to try them with me.

I was sitting at the pool with the family and bemoaning the fact that I could do front flips and back flips but gainers had always eluded me and that at 40-whatever years old I was at the time, I was annoyed that I wouldn't ever learn them.

My friend who's a few years younger and was a pro soccer player and is generally up for whatever was easy to talk into "we keep going until we do one... today."

My first attempt went 45 degrees off the diving board into a back dive, and as I was spotting my landing I realized I was heading right into the concrete edge of the pool. I heard gasps and a small scream as I cart-wheeled for the edge, but somehow slipped into the water without broken bones.

Friend lands straight on back.

We're 4 minutes into this HUB adventure and both looking grim.

Second one I pull around to land on my stomach and the 15 year old lifeguard yells, "you gotta reach straight up first!"

I go straight towards the afternoon sun with my hands, pull knees to chest and rotate a 1/4 turn sideways, and take the face shot of my lifetime to the side of my head.

A 2x4 to the face would be the physical representation of this one.

Float to the edge of the pool with my tears hidden in the chlorinated pool water.

At this point, my buddy is sitting on the edge of the pool claiming head trauma.

At this point, I'd like to point out that I'm on a 5' high spring board. This is the mildest most pathetic situation I've been a part of. My wife is literally unable to watch.

Next attempt. Full bounce. Hands "feel" like they're reaching for the stars, knees to chest, head straight back... and I slip into the water like it is no big thing. I then do about 15 more in a row to make sure I don't forget how to do it.

So all this is to say that I feel your pain of trying a gainer, in front of a crowd and taking it to the chin.

gainer = commitment

I could do a few things. I wanted to do a 1.5 back. Really scary to me. Decided it would be easier from the high dive since I had more time to rotate so even if I under committed, I'd still get around. I didn't. It hurt. Never tried again. But, I could do a reverse (gainer), backflip, forward 1.5.

I could do a few things. I wanted to do a 1.5 back. Really scary to me. Decided it would be easier from the high dive since I had more time to rotate so even if I under committed, I'd still get around. I didn't. It hurt. Never tried again. But, I could do a reverse (gainer), backflip, forward 1.5.

1.5 back is a hard dive. Facing backwards, blind entry, big splat if you get it a little wrong. Learning it on the high dive is, um, brave. ;)

Gainers and half gainers were fun, but an inward flip was a little nerve-wracking. I always liked twist dives. But my form was never competition-worthy.

And it certainly never helped me throw far. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is there 'something to' that last turn of the wrist where the disc goes from vertical to on-plane? Simon takes the disc back on plane, GG pops it up. They can both bomb, so probably just style.

Latest posts