• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DoubleHyzer From Thread

DoubleHyzer

Alright, ignore the video quality, had to use my phone set up on some of the tee signs so the angle isn't the greatest. This is my first time analyzing my own form, so I think I see some of the issues. Main thing I'm looking for is backhand distance. My forehand doesn't go very far but I have very good control and finesse over it for woods shots. I feel a lot of people have to force over OS stuff and have less consistency then I do but distance is always good :). Youtube link is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_pikzQVJjudD5AecuezBnQ

Backhand stuff (hole is a 378, slight downhill, probably plays around 360 feet)
-first throw is a Wrath - out to about 320-330 feet. Hyzered out early with the tail wind. --Usually can get close to pin high on this hole. Flat ground, normal throws are about 330-350 feet
-Second throw is an Envy - out to about 270-280 feet. Can regularly reach holes around 280 with the Envy

One thing I never really thought of is the distance separation between my putters and other discs. If I can get my envy to 270-280 comfortably, my wrath should go closer to 400-420, right?I don't have height issues with my drivers so not sure what the issue is. I have a little hop in my throw that I feel helps with timing/rhythm but if it needs to go then that's fine. I feel like my reachback is pretty full and my upper body is mostly alright, main thing is weight shift and footwork

Things to work on
-Pivot foot - I don't even really pivot much, more so like a little sidestep hop after the throw. When I try to consciously do this, I definitely feel like I get more distance and power on the disc, just need to ingrain it so I don't have to focus on it so much
-Lower pull through maybe?
-Unbalanced - This is why sometimes I don't pivot correctly. I lean forward a little bit on my throws and that's why I sort of fall backwards after the throw
-Height change - My whole body dips down when I throw, not sure if an issue or not
Rotate the shoulders and upper body a bit more

Forehand stuff (hole is 276 feet, flat ground, pistol grip)
-First throw is a crave, slight hyzer flip, about 230 feet
-Second throw is a wrath, flat, about 255-260 feet
-Third throw is a resistor, got a little high, only about 210-220 feet
-My usual distance with the crave and wrath is about the same - 230-250 feet on flat ground

I'm not too worried about distance with my forehand. I feel very comfortable flicking understable stuff, mainly the Crave. I think I have a lot more finesse and touch than most people with FH and that helps a lot in the woods. Nonetheless, some extra distance couldn't hurt

Things that could be an issue:
-Full reachback
-Hip rotation
-Staying on my toes?

Thanks guys!! Gotta go work on my pivot now

In your FH, I think you are trying to force yourself to finish "palm up", even though you're getting slight pronation through disc release and then you are telling yourself to be palm up, so you end up with a weird abbreviated follow through. Even pro's who say to finish palm up, don't do that. If you watch slow motion of their throws they definitely pronate through the disc on anything but soft upshots.

I would say to trust your clean release and just let your arm follow through naturally. Don't try to torque the disc obviously, but just let your arm follow through how it feels easy.

You need more turn back/load and then leverage through the arm to get more power. I like that you're throwing clean shots instead of trying to kill the disc, I think that's the right way to learn. This video helped me a lot, set up exactly how he shows and try to feel the same leverage from your hips through the arm in a connected way. This showed me how to set up my body to pull through the disc continually on FH, not just try to get the arm/disc swinging forward fast. It'll feel stronger, not necessarily faster...but the disc will be faster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UqQZylULio

On your BH, you are getting tangled up into the front hip and leg...you're kind of behind it on to the heel or the right side of the teepad, and also falling back to the back of the teepad. Your leg extends a bit and I would be slightly worried about your knee perhaps. I would try one leg drill setup to try to feel how to be balanced over the front leg, actually on top of it, so that you can throw in a much more stable position and rotate through the shot more freely.

Try walking through this stairs drill to get a more self-correcting feeling of being balanced over each leg, and then try to set up on one leg drill. It is likely easier and faster to get feedback of one leg drill by swinging something heavy and filming/posting that, as almost nobody gets the setup right initially. Might as well get feedback after trying it for 10 or so minutes, rather than trying a bunch of shots that way incorrectly. I'm speaking from personal experience with that too.

As far as distances, there are a lot of ways to throw an Envy style disc 280ish so it's somewhat hard to generalize. But I wouldn't be surprised in that translates to 300ish mids, 325ish fairways and 350-360ish drivers. 400' is a long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJlX0ht0gyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90

BH - you are striding/staggering your stance too closed and your balance is behind your front heel toward right teepad side. Your front foot jumps off the ground and returns 1' over to the right underneath your CoG. Your CoG needs to plant right over your foot, or your front foot needs to plant underneath your CoG. On your rear leg, your CoG is too far to the left teepad side which is why your stride/stagger that closed, so your CoG is stuck between your feet instead of shifting balance back and forth on either foot. Your right shoulder is also higher than your left shoulder throughout the backswing and then lower during forward swing. The right shoulder needs to swing back and forth under your chin and left shoulder like pendulum.

FH - your stride/stance is a little too open. Move a little more sideways/lateral to the target.

Alright guys, thanks a lot for the help. So for a normal backhand, I should plant my right foot more in front of me (towards the camera in this case) to balance myself? The other advice I definitely understand. Thanks again guys, now I have some stuff to work on. I'll report back in a few days

I would also film from behind the teepad, it's much easier to see your toe-heel balance that way.

It's more that you need to feel how it is to be over the foot/leg/hip, like how your body wants to end up, rather than just placing the foot somewhere arbitrarily. That's why that stairs drill is good, because it'll feel scary if you're not in balance.

Everything leads to the next step of the throw too, so if you aren't balanced during your left foot in behind X-step, then that off balance will push you somewhere you shouldn't be going as you try to plant.

Alright guys, thanks a lot for the help. So for a normal backhand, I should plant my right foot more in front of me (towards the camera in this case) to balance myself? The other advice I definitely understand. Thanks again guys, now I have some stuff to work on. I'll report back in a few days
Other way, you need your feet underneath you. Nose over front toes. Your balance and posture is similar to player on left. You want to be more like Climo on the right. Note how the right shoulder is swinging behind the right heel vs forward over the toes. Note how the stance goes from really narrow(off balance to left) in the x-step to really wide stagger to catch off balance condition inside(off balance to the right now), while Climo's feet move parallel down pad underneath his head making it easy/quick to shift dynamic balance upright on either foot. The more you spread your feet/stance apart any direction, the harder it is to quickly shift or make a move.
attachment.php

Alright, so I went to the same course and the balance/step forward on backhand definitely helped. The stairs drill helped me visualize what I should be doing. I need to get more consistent with it. I was able to park the same 378 foot hole (plays like 360 downhill) with a resistor and my wrath hit the woods behind it. There are three main things I try to remember now: full reachback, pivot on heel and balance/step forward. When I get all three right, my distance shoots up. I had a few throws where it got away from me. Forehand still needs some more work, was able to get 20, maybe 30 extra feet with some quick changes and little different run-up and a more full follow through. Excited to work on these new forms and get some muscle memory with them so I'm more consistent. Thanks a lot guys!!

Latest posts