• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

down on my game

shane8002

Bogey Member
tried searching but i cant search for OAT since its three letters. I was wondering how you work on getting rid of Oat. Ive gotten my drives up to around 385, and disced down the fastest thing I throw is a beat star valk and a champ firebird for wind. I want to drive my putters more but they turn over hard everytime it seems and I would like to drive my rocs past 300 but they turn to.

Heres my bag

star aviar p&a
champ aviar P&a
4x beat jk pro all max weight putter
max weight rancho dx rocs one beat and one newer
168g dx teebird and a star 170g teebird
175g champ eagle x
175g star valk
166g champ firebird

Try searching for "Off-Axis Torque". If you're turning over a putter, you've got it.

throw your putters on hyzers so that they hold the angle to the ground, and don't flip up. This helps you learn to not roll your wrist over. Someone who knows more about this drill can add to it

what discs did you throw 385 with?

Star valk on Hyzer flip and dx tbird on a slight anny line that's the to I can get that far

if your rocs are turning over and not making it to 300' then you might want to try throwing them with more hyzer and more height. You have to give them a lot more room (up and down) to work, can't throw them on line drives like a driver.

Throw putter rounds and putter and Comet or Fuse rounds. It cleans up from fairly quickly.

One quick check is to see if your palm is face up after your throw, if so that's an indication of wrist roll.

Hyzer drills might help you. Start with your putter and throw it as far as you can and still maintain a hyzer line then gradaully try to push it out further. Once you are happy with what you are doing, move up to your least stable mid and repeat and keep doing it and moving from slow and understable to faster and stable to understable.

I'd go buy a lid type disc, ultrastar (ultimate disc) zephyr, something like that.

you can't throw those things over 50' with OAT, I have one in the trunk to throw before rounds just to make sure my throws are clean.

step 1: Buy a Comet (neither plastic nor weight matter)
step 2: practice with said disc until you can throw it dead straight over 300 (and any other direction for that matter)
step 3: do the same thing with your putters
step 4: resume normal play

I'd go buy a lid type disc, ultrastar (ultimate disc) zephyr, something like that.

you can't throw those things over 50' with OAT, I have one in the trunk to throw before rounds just to make sure my throws are clean.

This is the first time I've heard this! I like the idea, we've had some Zephyrs in our club stock for a while and I may pick one up and work with it some.

This is partially, but not entirely, true.

OAT does not ALWAYS mean wrist roll. In fact, I've realized after filming my field practice this week that my form tweaking has caused me to develop some vertical OAT. My Buzzzes are going 275-300, but the nose is wobbling significantly immediately out of my hand.

So - I do have OAT, do not roll my wrist, and can get a Ultrastar over 200'.

Not trying to be a dick - just point out that there's not one cure-all for every situation. For the OP, the best way is to film yourself throwing and play it back in slow motion. VLC Media player is a good tool, it will pretty effectively slow most clips down to about 6% speed so you can really see what you do with the disc.

This man speaks truths. Me and my girlfriend go throw lids in a park every once in a while, at first we could barely throw the damn things after throwing discs for so long, but once we adjusted and played catch for a while, our game the next day was drastically better.