• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Down or Under

Down or Under

• Down

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Under

Votes: 56 70.9%
  • I have no experience with breaking par. :(

Votes: 7 8.9%

• Total voters
I've noticed alot of the more experienced players have their own lingo. They will just say a number. If they shot +3 and someone says "how'd you shoot?" they will say "Three". Then they will point up with their finger. If they shot a -6 they will say "six" and then after a few second pause they will smile and point down with their finger. It drives me crazy. I prefer over and under.

I use over and under a lot but also plus and minus. Used to get yelled at by a guy for saying negative.

Bottom line is, Who cares? As long as your point is across. Dont like how I said it? Let me write it down for you.

I use a variety of terms, but more often use "up" or "down".

I've noticed alot of the more experienced players have their own lingo. They will just say a number. If they shot +3 and someone says "how'd you shoot?" they will say "Three". Then they will point up with their finger. If they shot a -6 they will say "six" and then after a few second pause they will smile and point down with their finger. It drives me crazy. I prefer over and under.

ever get the feeling that they're just doing that to give you the finger? :eek:

My buddy's a ball golf course superintendent, and I brought him out DGing and was using "2 down," etc. He looked a bit perplexed and asked if we were doing match play, then explained that in BG they use "up" and "down" to denote match play scores, whereas "over" and "under" are used for stroke play. I told him that my understanding was that in DG they were pretty much interchangeable terms since there's not a lot of match play going on except for maybe in an occasional tournament (though I can't think of a DG tourney where match play was implemented over stroke).

I use "2 under" and "2 down" interchangeably. But I say "2 over" and almost never "2 up." Dunno why.

I use both terms interchangeably. I probably use "down" more often than "under".

So by this logic is it appropriate to say Up or Over? I started my golfing with a ball. So I say under and unfortunately more often, Over.

Yes, "Up" and "Over" are commonly used to refer to being above par.

That's right. When even one syllable is too much, we just say a number and point up or down. That is true. Most often this is done when passing by a bud that is a good ways away.

I use up/down, over/under and plus/minus pretty interchangeably, they all mean the same thing here.