• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dragon plastic

If you've ever thrown a Dragon into something hard you'll realize pretty quickly that it's no Champion plastic.

Just bought one because of the flotation. Is it really that bad?

My Fiance likes hers a lot, I've thrown it a couple of times and think it's fine. It may be more of a weight issue for some people then a design issue. It's only produced in 150 grams so if you're used to heavy discs you most likely won't like it.

I used to think the Dragon was something for newer players only. I didn't have much trouble clearing water hazards and it seemed like that was its only purpose. Then some friends and I went to a marked football field and threw a ton of discs and were meticulous about measuring distances. We're all pretty good players, most of us drive 300' to 325' consistently.

The Dragon had the highest average distance across the board, across multiple weekends of doing this. In a tailwind it really soared. My big D drivers were the worst of the bunch, and in general people threw the big drivers like Boss, Groove, Wraith, worse than the smaller arm discs. That probably says a lot about our arms, but worth noting.

The only discs I threw as far as the Dragon were the ArchAngel and the Leopard. And the only one I threw further was a 150g Beast. I never thought I could throw a disc 400' flat, but that Beast did, hitting the fence at the far side of the football stadium on the fly. I about fell over in amazement.

We're certainly not the best, but there may be a lot of other people out there that would really benefit from having these ~150g discs in their bag. And I ended up buying a Dragon (and other light discs). Granted, in a strong headwind you'd want something else. But I was throwing the Dragon 360'+ into a headwind, consistently. (Not a strong headwind.)

Maybe I'm still a beginner after 4 years, but I have nothing bad to say about the Dragon (or ArchAngel, or Leopard, or Beast etc.) Put my Groove and Boss back in my closet. Maybe someday I'll have the arm.

Ken

There's nothing wrong with a Dragon you just can't throw it the same way you throw a Destroyer.

I like the Dragon but I like lightweight discs in general. Yeah it's always been called DX but it's some kind of blend. It's saved me many a disc on water holes, just don't throw it into a headwind. It flies like a lightweight DX Valk to me and it's one of my longest discs. I've thrown a Dragon over 350' on a couple of occasions during practice.

ST - that one is definitely different than they other ones I have seen too. It's translucentness gives it a nice Champion look to it, but is still pretty firm. It's definitely unique whatever, it is. A friend of mine keeps giving me Dragons for some reason. I think he was tired of flicking my discs out of a creek with a stick.

And if you think about...positive feedback....hope you like it and the cheetah.

I love the Dragon. There is a hole on a local course I play that has a 250 foot throw over water to about a 35 foot landing area which this disc works great for. This is the only disc I use when throwin over more than 150 feet of water, I have had too many bad experiences. I've thrown a couple of lightning discs but I don't think any of them have the legs that the Dragon does. Just my 2cents

I really believe one of the few reasons Dragons float is they only weigh 150g.

I throw heavier discs, so I just keep a few extra Beasts on hand for throwing over water instead, if I lose one I bought it used so it was probably cheap anyway.

I really believe one of the few reasons Dragons float is they only weigh 150g.

Don't think it matters...my 150 gazelle and wife's 150 stingray both sink.

My 180g Lightning roller #2 floats.

Its all where the weight is and of course the material...and in the case of the #2 roller...the shear aircraft carrier size.

Latest posts