• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Flippy midrange reccomendations?

Right now im my bag I have a Champ Wombat3 (weird rim but whatever) for normal understable shots and a Rollo for stupid flippy ones. Though also maybe my Proxies could get the same place as the Wombat3, so there's that.

150 stingray is sweet but no way i would use it seriously

little wrist flick and it sails all day

little wind and its game over
Yep, any wind over 5 mph for disc mold even in max weight and game over. I had to throw mold hard in wind and due to how disc was, mold would do an upside-down 7 shot but keep going on said light angle away from intended area with winds drifting disc in direction of wind pushing on disc, so calm or a tailwind in direction. Older Stingray you could use in wind up to about 15--20 mph as they had near outer edge of disc a microbead that kept disc from drifting when new to mild wear as before all DX discs had a microbead until sometime in mid--late 2000's.

For a similar flight & feel disc, I recommend a 165 gram Cobra as mold can fight wind due to a more integrated into rim big bead or for a more neutral flight to fight wind even better a DX Mako 3 in lightest weigh available, 165 grams.

So small diameter, beadless, and pretty flippy (assuming you want it to be flippier than a max weight mako3 and warship). I would say Uplink and Lone Wolf are good choices.

Toughing it out with the truth may be the best bet, learning how to work with more rim shapes (the truth barely has a bead and doesn't feel beaded imo) will help you long run. Opens the door for a much better range of options. Including some of the more unique molds that can really work for you like a comet.
yea until i can get my hands on an uplink im just gonna use the prime truth. I went out today and just beat the crap out of it so it should be quite understable now.

I have a few uplinks and don't love any of them. They tend to turn and burn when thrown with any power. Even when throwing 200 feet, you have to throw it on hyzer to keep it from turning into a roller. I like the tursas and the detour much better. Just my 2 cents.

I have a few uplinks and don't love any of them. They tend to turn and burn when thrown with any power. Even when throwing 200 feet, you have to throw it on hyzer to keep it from turning into a roller. I like the tursas and the detour much better. Just my 2 cents.
I don't know how you release yours but I can throw mine 100m (~330') on a hyzer flip to late turn without it turning into a roller... I still think it's quite understable though, but not ridiculously so.

My top recommendations would be:

Flippy: Uplink
Slightly less flippy: Origin

Yea your right i should have clarified. The mids I currently bag are a 180 champ mako3, 174 revive warship, and 180 eclipse reactor. I also have a prime truth, but I don't like the feel cuz its beaded. I would be looking for a weight heavier than 170 and small diameter cuz my hands are stupid small. I throw about 270 on an average drive. I've heard good things about the uplink, might trade in my rockstar and try to get that. Or maybe I will just tough it out with the truth for now, seeing as I need to curb my dg spending lol.
If you like your 180g champ mako3 the an XT mako3 is a great complement. I used to throw mako3s and a fresh champ felt like a 0/1.5, a fresh xt maybe -0.5/0.5 and a beat in xt could range from -1.5/0.5 to -2.5/0 depending on how beat in it got.

Big plus for me was I love the feel of XT and it was cheap and easy to cycle. Downsides were that if you smacked a lot of trees it would get warped and you'd have to bend it back into position, and they might cycle too fast for some (I didn't run into that issue, though).

I don't know how you release yours but I can throw mine 100m (~330') on a hyzer flip to late turn without it turning into a roller... I still think it's quite understable though, but not ridiculously so.

Ye, throwing slow, understable discs with power is a specific skillset, it's all about angle control, height, spin and a clean release. Simon vs Eagle is a great example of this.

Agreed. My form is good enough to make Uplinks my reliable straight/flippy mid, but not good enough to do the same with the Paradox (turn and burn).

I think I found the limit of my skills.

im going to stick with my truth until i can grab an uplink. I took the truth out to a rock yesterday and beat the crap out of it so it should work for now

I am finishing up my bag and the midranges I have that are understable is a beat in prime truth which I don't like the feel, and a beat in DX mako3 which is 150g. Any other reccomendations? Btw the prefix has nothing to do with it.
A lot depends on personal things of course, but, I adore the Wombat3. Once it's worn in, it'll turn over perfectly for you on mid range shots. I have 2, both 170g, one 4 years old and flippy as all get out, and a 1 year old that's perfectly worn in for hyzer flips for my throwing style.

Agreed. My form is good enough to make Uplinks my reliable straight/flippy mid, but not good enough to do the same with the Paradox (turn and burn).

I think I found the limit of my skills.
The Paradox is a little goofy for me as well. Guaranteed to turn, I know a guy decent power thrower that uses a 177 Paradox beautifully hyzer flip, straight or turn. I don't have time to learn the touch with it.

You need a Discraft Comet. You can try others, they are good (such as the Pie Pan Discs Conspiracy), but that is the mold you really need.

Discmania md1. Once you beat it in it becomes reliably understandable and the perfect hyzer flip mid.

Maybe you use more height or nose up? Not sure. People seem to live them. Maybe I just need to throw it more?

I just find that if I'm only throwing 200' I'd rather throw a putter and if I'm throwing 300" I want something a touch more stable like the detour or tursas.

Yeah it could be a number of factors, spin is another one, OAT is yet another. I just wanted to get across that it's not necessarily a turn and burn disc, especially if you plan to use it something like 275' and in. It's still very understable though, and I as well choose less understable options for this slot.