• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable midrange for nice little turnover shots?

In all my my years of throwing understable mids the tp Tursas is my favorite.
The rim of the Tursas is wider than most understable mids which is more comfortable for me.
I was getting early release sometimes with my Opto Fuse, I tried a VIP Tursas recently and I like it. They fly basically the same but I think I prefer the shape of the Tursas.

Gateway - Element

I throw a Diamond Element for this gentle turnover shot. Used to toss a beat Roc but the Element does that flight new.

I'm partial to the Meteor. Very controllable turnover, and I never feel like it wants to burn into the ground... comes in the full variety of Discraft plastics so you have options.

I throw a TSA Praxis / Mint Bullet for this.

I carry these with me all the time in case I have time for field practice at lunch, so I have pretty good touch with them right now and use them a ton on the course.

from ~300 to 340 I use a KaxeZ instead, 340-375 JLS, and 375 + seasoned M Scorpius (Pro Destroyer) or Astronaut in a tail wind.

I gave up on Meteor / Tursas type mids because I never used them enough to be good at them and I have to throw them very different / powered down than pretty much anything else in my bag.

If I needed to re-learn a super glidey, understable turnover disc I'd probably start with a Glitch.

I have a lot smaller of an Arm and didn't love the Uplink from MVP because it was just dead straight and I couldn't get it to turn over. I have Switched to the Westside Tursas, noticed you mentioned like Gyro and Trilogy so I think both of those should fit the slow, but they have both been answered already too. My favorite was the Theory from Axiom, but it's OOP. I also used to throw an Opto Fuse, and would have switched to this over the Tursas, but the show I go to didn't have any Fuses at the time, so I went for the Tursas.

I have one Theory (neutron 171g). I stopped throwing it because I was afraid of losing it and not being able to replace it. So now it sits in the garage. Put that way, my logic seems somehow flawed...

I tried the Paradox, it was plenty flippy - but with my suspect form, there was too much risk of it turning and burning.

I have one Theory (neutron 171g). I stopped throwing it because I was afraid of losing it and not being able to replace it. So now it sits in the garage. Put that way, my logic seems somehow flawed...
I loved this disc too. It was perfect. My buddy owns a shop so I gave him the two I had and he had hooked me up. So I think it's a win win.

Wedge. It's OOP but my favorite for this shot. The first run star ones were more flippy than the later runs.

I think you can get a Stingray to make the dogleg turn left to right (right hand backhand shot) with a varying degree of angle, based on how hard the dogleg turn is. So from flat to a slight nose-up Annie or to an even stronger Annie, that might work for your 280-foot shot. DX Stingray, I'm recommending. However, that disc will turn over in a big way (noted by someone else earlier) if you don't throw it just right for what you are trying to do. Little forgiveness. Will go right after initial straightness and never fade back if your angle is too strong. If that's what you need (hard right with zero fade), then the Stingray is worth looking into.

I have paradox, but it needs so much air behind it, if there is no air necessary it just burns, but if there is air, then it's quite versatile disc. But this hole needs a little bit less understable mid, i got a 2 years old claymore but yesterday i was doing a little field training in local sports field, it is about 110meters long, that is 360 foot, i practiced at this time my typical vertical brace and just by accident i put almost full send to this disc and then i just looked stupid when my workhorse midrange goes to the river, damn. But i have kind of good luck because i have one Prodigys well seasoned m4, its quite usable. And i have tried to play this hole with forehand shots also, i actually have thrown it with Escape and forehand and is quite good , but it just not bend to this kind of shot very well...

Last edited:
I did retire a 10 year old Buzzz lately which was my go to for flippy midrange shots and had to look for a new disc for that slot since i want my discs to be the way i want them out of the box, not after X years of beating them in.

I wanted a disc that throws something like a X/Y/-1/0

ESP Comet: this thing is too stable, its more like a 0/0.5
Z Comet: Same as the ESP ones basically
ESP Meteor: Same as the Comet, Jesus this thing is never ever a -3/0 if you dont torque it like crazy
New Buzzz: way too stable

Gold line Fuse: This one came pretty close to my desired stats. Its my backup disc for now.
Origin: ended up being my disc i bag now.

Good thing is i now have a stack of understable to neutral midranges to give away to beginners :D

By flight numbers I don't have an understable mid, but I can turn a Plasma Hex.

I did retire a 10 year old Buzzz lately which was my go to for flippy midrange shots and had to look for a new disc for that slot since i want my discs to be the way i want them out of the box, not after X years of beating them in.

I wanted a disc that throws something like a X/Y/-1/0

ESP Comet: this thing is too stable, its more like a 0/0.5
Z Comet: Same as the ESP ones basically
ESP Meteor: Same as the Comet, Jesus this thing is never ever a -3/0 if you dont torque it like crazy
New Buzzz: way too stable

Gold line Fuse: This one came pretty close to my desired stats. Its my backup disc for now.
Origin: ended up being my disc i bag now.

Good thing is i now have a stack of understable to neutral midranges to give away to beginners :D
If you're getting the same flight out of a Meteor that you did out of the Comets, I'd wonder if there's something off about the way you're throwing them. The Meteor should turn readily, and keep turning once it's turned over. The Comet will fade to flat, or in the really stable ones come back a bit.

I've been trying out a Mana for this slot and loving it. Not as flippy as my glide or uplink, and great from standstill, trail wind or hyzer to drift. Still looking for something between it and my hex. Echo is in the bag but haven't aired it out enough yet.

Latest posts